HELP needed with MB-E5700 for Nikon 8700

Old August 9th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Terry[_2_]

Default HELP needed with MB-E5700 for Nikon 8700

I thought I was a pretty smart guy, but I guess not.
I cannot figure out how the MB-E5700 attaches to the Nikon 8700.
I removed the camera's internal battery and I started to insert the MB-
E5700.
But I couldn't because the battery door is not laying down.
It stays in a up position which hits the MB-5700 and the MB-5700 won't
go all the way down because of the battery door being in the way.

What am I missing?
Thanks,
Terry

Old August 9th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

Terry wrote:
I thought I was a pretty smart guy, but I guess not.
I cannot figure out how the MB-E5700 attaches to the Nikon 8700.
I removed the camera's internal battery and I started to insert the MB-
E5700.
But I couldn't because the battery door is not laying down.
It stays in a up position which hits the MB-5700 and the MB-5700 won't
go all the way down because of the battery door being in the way.

What am I missing?
Thanks,
Terry

On my Canon D-SLR you have to remove the battery door from the camera to
attach the battery grip. I suspect it's the same for this grip.

I went and looked at the review on Amazon for the MB-E5700, and it says
that you have to remove two parts and that there is a place on the grip
to store them, but it didn't say what the parts were. I suspect that one
of the parts is the battery door.

I don't see the advantage of this accessory, as it forces you to use AA
batteries. All the reviews complain about how fast the camera eats AA
batteries.
Old August 10th 07, 07:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Allen

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 13:30:30 -0700
SMS wrote:

Terry wrote:
[...]

What's wrong with AA batteries? Oh, I forgot. It's a matter of faith
with you.

All the reviews complain about how fast the camera eats
AA batteries.

That's obviously a camera problem, not a battery problem. But, people
reported it on both the 5700 and the 8700. Sounds like those cameras
don't know how to accurately tell when the six NiMH batteries are low,
so that particular grip doesn't make much sense. Where's Rita B. when
you need a Nikon basher?

Paul Allen
Old August 10th 07, 10:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
F. D. Lewis

On Aug 10, 1:55 am, Terry wrote:
I thought I was a pretty smart guy, but I guess not.
I cannot figure out how the MB-E5700 attaches to the Nikon 8700.
I removed the camera's internal battery and I started to insert the MB- E5700.
But I couldn't because the battery door is not laying down.

RTFM!!!

OK, now that I've got that out of my system, here is what the manual
says to do:

Attaching the Battery Pack

Before attaching the battery pack, be sure that the camera is off and
that the shutter-release button locking ring (Figure 1-) on the
battery pack is in the L position.

1 Remove the battery pack contacts cover (Figure 1-). Be sure to
replace the battery pack contacts cover whenever the battery pack is
not in use.

2 Open the battery-chamber cover in the base of the camera handgrip
(Figure 2A) and remove the battery, if present.

3 Remove the coupling contacts cover, also found on the base of the
camera, by pushing it down at  and sliding it out in the direction
of the arrow, as shown in Figure 2A. Fully insert the coupling
contacts cover into the coupling contacts cover holder on the MBE5700
as shown in Figure 2A-.

4 Hold the battery-chamber cover at about 45°, gently pull until the
peg (Figure 2B-) pulls free and remove the cover. Insert the battery-
chamber cover into the battery-chamber cover holder MB-E5700 and slide
the battery-chamber cover latch to the position as shown in Figure
2B-

5 Insert the battery pack as shown in Figure 2C.

6 Firmly tighten the attachment wheel as shown in Figure 2D.

To remove the battery pack, reverse the above steps.

of course to look at the figures you'll need the manual. this is a
piece of paper that came in the box you got the grip in. or, you can
download it from Nikon.