Russian Cameras

Old January 27th 05, 03:20 PM
Sigma2

Default Russian Cameras

Hi There !

I stepped over www.rugift.com

They have some very cheap lenses for all kinds of cameras. How is the
quality if these lenses. Anybody tried a Zenit camera ?
regs,

Mads Voigt
www.sigma2.dk

Old January 27th 05, 03:41 PM
Siddhartha Jain

Sigma2 wrote:
Hi There !

I stepped over www.rugift.com

They have some very cheap lenses for all kinds of cameras. How is the
quality if these lenses. Anybody tried a Zenit camera ?
regs,

I bought a Jupiter 200mm f4 lens for $45. I use it on my Canon 300D
with a M42-to-EOS adapter. Here are a few pics:
http://gallery133884.fotopic.net/c410729.html

- Siddhartha

Old January 27th 05, 04:47 PM
Peter Irwin

Sigma2 wrote:
Hi There !

I stepped over www.rugift.com

They have some very cheap lenses for all kinds of cameras. How is the
quality if these lenses.

Soviet/post-soviet lenses are known for good design (many are classic
Zeiss designs) and somewhat loose quality control. I'm not really
fussy and I've been pretty happy with most of the ones I have.

Anybody tried a Zenit camera ?

Most of the Zenits are very robust SLRs with extremely basic features.
The most common one, the Zenit-E, has an uncoupled selenium lightmeter,
manual diaphragm, speeds from 1/30 to 1/500 and a somewhat dim and
distorted viewfinder. None of this stops them from being decent picture
takers. Lots of people learned photography on a Zenit, and if you
subscribe to the idea that manual and feature free is good, then the
Zenit may be a good choice. A camera from the 70s or earlier will
need a CLA in order to have a shutter that works properly. The better
sellers will make sure you get a camera which works properly. I have no
knowledge of rugift. Cupog and alex-photo on ebay are pretty reliable
sellers.

Peter.

Old January 28th 05, 01:50 AM
andre

I bought a Jupiter 200mm f4 lens for $45. I use it on my Canon 300D
with a M42-to-EOS adapter. Here are a few pics:
http://gallery133884.fotopic.net/c410729.html

- Siddhartha

Where did you get the adapter?

--
----------------------------------
http://www.aguntherphotography.com
Old January 28th 05, 05:00 AM
jean

Another source for inexpensive lenses is old "t-mount" lenses with a t-mount
to EOS adapter. I still have my old preset lenses so I bought the EOS
adapter, here are a few pics http://www.pbase.com/jeandr/300d_with_old_lens

Old t-mount lenses can be found in the used section of most camera stores or
at photo swap meets or as a last resort on e-bay. The t-mount to EOS
adapter I got from http://www.valleymicroscope.com/imaging1.html

Jean

Old January 28th 05, 07:01 AM
Siddhartha Jain

andre wrote:

I bought a Jupiter 200mm f4 lens for $45. I use it on my Canon 300D
with a M42-to-EOS adapter. Here are a few pics:
http://gallery133884.fotopic.net/c410729.html

- Siddhartha

Where did you get the adapter?

Bought it off eBay for $12.95.

- Siddhartha

Old February 2nd 05, 03:44 AM
KMR

Anybody tried a Zenit camera ?

I've had three or four Zenits over the years. Mostly use them as
paperweights. They break far too easily.

But when a Zenit works, the results can be surprising. I took a candid
photo of a friend with one several years back. After that, the flash
connector never worked again! However, the photo was wonderful. The 50mm
lens (actually, I think it's 58mm!) has a softness that works well for
portraits. I bought an adapter so I could attach this screw mount lens to
my Pentax bodies.

Keep an eye out for the Zenit Photo Sniper lens kit. I have not found one
that would fit my cameras, but people I know who have used it (I think it's
a 600mm lens) rave about the results.

Cheers!
Ken

Old February 2nd 05, 11:10 AM
Tumbleweed

Used a couple of Zenith Es for several years. I managed to produce some
excellent 'photos with them and won a national photo competition with a
series I took. The prize was an OM1 (start of the art at the time) and that
left the zenits to gather dust....