[OT-ish:Blu Ray] HD-DVD death blow - backup implications

Old February 19th 08, 11:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default [OT-ish:Blu Ray] HD-DVD death blow - backup implications

I don't know when we'll be backing up on Blu-Ray (if ever), however,
with the all-but-dead state of HD-DVD, keep in mind that Blu-Ray is the
format of choice - accept not any offers of HD-DVD.

It's dead Jim.

We now resume regular programming.
Old February 20th 08, 05:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Alan Browne wrote:

I don't know when we'll be backing up on Blu-Ray (if ever), however,
with the all-but-dead state of HD-DVD, keep in mind that Blu-Ray is the
format of choice - accept not any offers of HD-DVD.

It's dead Jim.

We now resume regular programming.

It's been on life support for the last couple of months, and I'd say
with Toshiba formally announcing 'no mas', the corpse has already been
lowered into the ground...

As to backup, I'm still of the school of additional HDrives, but Blu-Ray
would be good for archival stuff or a backup backup.

--
john mcwilliams
Old February 20th 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Scott W

Default HD-DVD death blow - backup implications

On Feb 19, 1:16*pm, Alan Browne wrote:
I don't know when we'll be backing up on Blu-Ray (if ever), however,
with the all-but-dead state of HD-DVD, keep in mind that Blu-Ray is the
format of choice - accept not any offers of HD-DVD.

It's dead Jim.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...rticleID=20680...

We now resume regular programming.

HD-DVD should have died before it came to market.

As for Blu-Ray for backup, I look forward to the day that the blank
media cost less per GB then DVDs, right now it just cost too much,
more then external drives.

Scott
Old February 21st 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jeffrey Kaplan

Previously on rec.photo.digital.slr-systems, Scott W said:

HD-DVD should have died before it came to market.

Why?

I never paid much attention to the format war, content just wait for it
to be over. Why do you think that HD-DVD is that bad?

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"First things first -- but not necessarily in that order" - Dr Who
Old February 21st 08, 07:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Scott W

On Feb 20, 2:02*pm, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
Previously on rec.photo.digital.slr-systems, Scott W said:

HD-DVD should have died before it came to market.

Why?

I never paid much attention to the format war, content just wait for it
to be over. *Why do you think that HD-DVD is that bad?

HD-DVD has much less capacity then Blu-Ray, and so has to compress a
lot more for the same length movie, plus you get less backup space on
a disk if you are using it for backups.

Scott

Old February 21st 08, 04:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jeffrey Kaplan

Previously on rec.photo.digital.slr-systems, Scott W said:

I never paid much attention to the format war, content just wait for it
to be over. *Why do you think that HD-DVD is that bad?

HD-DVD has much less capacity then Blu-Ray, and so has to compress a
lot more for the same length movie, plus you get less backup space on
a disk if you are using it for backups.

I think the war is now completely over: The remaining HD-DVD holdout
studios have switched, and Toshiba has thrown in the towel:

http://www.reuters.com/article/enter...18265320080221

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

If I Am Ever the Sidekick... 29. If the Hero calls for me from some
dark place I did not expect him to be, I'll hit the place with some
manner of illumination, ask for the password, and proceed with the
utmost caution.
Old February 23rd 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

John McWilliams wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

I don't know when we'll be backing up on Blu-Ray (if ever), however,
with the all-but-dead state of HD-DVD, keep in mind that Blu-Ray is
the format of choice - accept not any offers of HD-DVD.

It's dead Jim.

We now resume regular programming.

It's been on life support for the last couple of months, and I'd say
with Toshiba formally announcing 'no mas', the corpse has already been
lowered into the ground...

As to backup, I'm still of the school of additional HDrives, but Blu-Ray
would be good for archival stuff or a backup backup.

I agree and about to add 1 TB of backup. I'm not there yet (BD) either
and not sure when decent a decent priced writer will appear for an iMac.
Still maintaining a WinXP machine too...

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old February 24th 08, 04:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
rjn

Alan Browne wrote:

I don't know when we'll be backing up on Blu-Ray (if ever) ...

Certainly not before archival-grade BR-R becomes
cheaper than spare hard drives :-)

Perhaps when MAM offers BR-R in "archival" grades.
http://www.mam-a-store.com/golddvd.html
It took them years to offer archival DVD-R.

And I'm not sure just how "archival" that is.
Ablative-layer optical media is arguably not "backup",
never has been, and may never be.

Think of it as "data escrow" media. Temporary.

I have Kodak PhotoCDs, which despite ideal storage
and handling, are now unreadable.

If you are using optical media for archiving valuable
images, you are a curator, and not just a librarian.

You must have a stewardship process of periodic checks
and data migration. The goal is to copy it to the
next generation befo
- the errors become unrecoverable, and/or
- none of the old media's drives still work.
And this assumes a stable file format. I also have
tapes that are probably readable, but the software
that understands them won't install or run today.

Anyone storing stuff on HD-DVD-R may need to pull up
the migration schedule by a few months.

--
Regards, Bob Niland