Car hits drone at 100kph..no damage

Old April 14th 21, 01:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

Default Car hits drone at 100kph..no damage

On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 4:27:32 PM UTC-4, RichA wrote:
It's not a like a drone is a stray wheel off a truck

https://www.dpreview.com/news/771506...eld-at-100km-h

So....

Sample size of n=1 ... right? /s

In watching the high speed video, there was noticeable deflection visible in the windshield's
response, so there clearly were some significant stresses present. As such, I'd suspect that
the main reason why there wasn't any reported failure (eg, cracked windshield) was that they
simply missed having a big enough stress riser at the point of contact...a different drone
orientation could have resulted in some damage, even if it wouldn't be enough to partially
or fully penetrate through the windshield.

-hh
Old April 14th 21, 03:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 14, 2021, hh wrote
(in ):

On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 4:27:32 PM UTC-4, RichA wrote:
It's not a like a drone is a stray wheel off a truck

https://www.dpreview.com/news/771506...eld-at-100km-h

So....

Sample size of n=1 ... right? /s

In watching the high speed video, there was noticeable deflection visible in the windshield's
response, so there clearly were some significant stresses present. As such, I'd suspect that
the main reason why there wasn't any reported failure (eg, cracked windshield) was that they
simply missed having a big enough stress riser at the point of contact...a different drone
orientation could have resulted in some damage, even if it wouldn't be enough to partially
or fully penetrate through the windshield.

-hh

Agreed!

The drone in question was not exactly a heavyweight, and the initial impact energy was absorbed by an arm which folded. That also indicates that the drone was flying sideways so as not to make initial impact with the considerably stronger front rather than the somewhat fragile arms.

It was a 905 g (1.995 lbs) Mavic 2 Pro drone rather than a considerably heavier Inspire 2 at 3440 g (7.58 lbs).

We would need to see the drone flight log to confirm the claimed 100 kph speed because in “sport” mode that particular drone maxes out at 72 kph. Even the heavier, and more powerful Inspire 2 has a max speed of 92 kph, and that was not the drone used. So I remain skeptical of that 100 kph claim.

The other drone not used was the new DJI FPV (795g/1.75 lbs) or an even lighter custom racing drone. Those can fly faster than 100 kph with the DJI FPV having a max speed of 140 kph.

....so I suspect that this experiment, and result is a tad suspect, perhaps even clickbait.

BTW: My Mavic Air 2 weighs in at 570 g/1.25 lbs and can reach a top speed of 72-75 kph.

Savageduck

Old April 14th 21, 06:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

On Wednesday, April 14, 2021 at 10:49:04 AM UTC-4, Savageduck wrote:
On Apr 14, 2021, hh wrote:
[...]

The drone wasn't flying (or powered) at all: look at the bottom right of the video for the belted
wheel: they had some sort of catapult system that was 'throwing' the drone from right to left.

FYI, that's also probably why the leading propeller (the one to our left) was bent into a "V" shape
(visible in frame at 0:01), which also confirms that the props weren't rotating.

...so I suspect that this experiment, and result is a tad suspect, perhaps even clickbait.

BTW: My Mavic Air 2 weighs in at 570 g/1.25 lbs and can reach a top speed of 72-75 kph.

Its a decent first try attempt by what appears to be undergraduate students.. Professor was who
probably got the grant money from the Insurance Company.

-hh
Old April 15th 21, 01:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 07:48:54 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Apr 14, 2021, hh wrote
(in ):

[...]

Don't forget to add in the speed of the car.

Old April 15th 21, 01:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 14, 2021, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 07:48:54 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Apr 14, 2021, hh wrote
(in ):

[...]

I suspect the speed of the car was 0 kph.

Old April 15th 21, 01:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

The drone in question was not exactly a heavyweight, and the initial impact
energy was absorbed by an arm which folded. That also indicates that the
drone was flying sideways so as not to make initial impact with the
considerably stronger front rather than the somewhat fragile arms.

It was a 905 g (1.995 lbs) Mavic 2 Pro drone rather than a considerably
heavier Inspire 2 at 3440 g (7.58 lbs).

We would need to see the drone flight log to confirm the claimed 100 kph
speed because in sport mode that particular drone maxes out at 72 kph.
Even the heavier, and more powerful Inspire 2 has a max speed of 92 kph, and
that was not the drone used. So I remain skeptical of that 100 kph claim.

Don't forget to add in the speed of the car.

don't forget to study physics.

maybe you'll realize why you don't just 'add in the speed of the car'.