Ping Tony Cooper

Old September 25th 18, 12:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Ping Tony Cooper

I thought that you might find this interesting. A new Fujifilm X-T3 owner
trying the new 30fps burst mode, with appropriate AF-C& tracking in the X-T3
at his son’s football game at Wheaton College over the weekend, posted this
series on Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30161756@N00/albums/72157700104730751

BTW: FedEx just delivered my shiny new X-T3 body. So my Fujifilm investment
deepens.

Savageduck

Old September 25th 18, 01:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 16:23:55 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

I thought that you might find this interesting. A new Fujifilm X-T3 owner
trying the new 30fps burst mode, with appropriate AF-C& tracking in the X-T3
at his son’s football game at Wheaton College over the weekend, posted this
series on Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30161756@N00/albums/72157700104730751

I just shot part of a game Thursday night and caught middle grandson
(#9) flagrantly fouling a defensive player (#54) on a punt return.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Current/i...18-09-21-8.jpg

I'm still using my Nikon D300, so I'm very limited at weekday games.
The D300 is incapable of low-light photography at a fast shutter speed
at any ISO, and I'm done shooting about half time at a game that
starts at 5:30.

This grandson is on the (high school) freshman team, and his
year-older brother plays JV. That game starts after the freshman game
is over, so I never get photos of that game.

The punter in the Wheaton shots is a good example of 30fps series
because the photographer can isolate one player that he knows will be
a good subject, but he did miss the toe-on-the-ball shot. He got the
laces on the ball on what was probably not that good a punt. Looks
like it would go out of bounds to the right.

What that pfs would be good for is following a pass receiver and
hoping for a fingertip catch.

When I lived in Chicago, Wheaton was considered to be the Oral Roberts
University of the Midwest.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 25th 18, 02:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I'm still using my Nikon D300, so I'm very limited at weekday games.
The D300 is incapable of low-light photography at a fast shutter speed
at any ISO,

false.
Old September 25th 18, 02:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 24, 2018, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

wrote:

I thought that you might find this interesting. A new Fujifilm X-T3 owner
trying the new 30fps burst mode, with appropriate AF-C& tracking in the X-T3
at his son’s football game at Wheaton College over the weekend, posted
this
series on Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30161756@N00/albums/72157700104730751

I just shot part of a game Thursday night and caught middle grandson
(#9) flagrantly fouling a defensive player (#54) on a punt return.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Current/i...18-09-21-8.jpg

I'm still using my Nikon D300, so I'm very limited at weekday games.
The D300 is incapable of low-light photography at a fast shutter speed
at any ISO, and I'm done shooting about half time at a game that
starts at 5:30.

The X-T3 with its new *Back illuminated Sensor* (BIS) has inproved low light AF
performance

This grandson is on the (high school) freshman team, and his
year-older brother plays JV. That game starts after the freshman game
is over, so I never get photos of that game.

The punter in the Wheaton shots is a good example of 30fps series
because the photographer can isolate one player that he knows will be
a good subject, but he did miss the toe-on-the-ball shot. He got the
laces on the ball on what was probably not that good a punt. Looks
like it would go out of bounds to the right.

Well, it was his first use of his new camera. ;-)

What that pfs would be good for is following a pass receiver and
hoping for a fingertip catch.

When I lived in Chicago, Wheaton was considered to be the Oral Roberts
University of the Midwest.

The existence of Wheaton was a revelation for me, as was the school his son
attends,Millikin University. They were visiting Wheaton for the game.

Savageduck

Old September 25th 18, 02:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 24, 2018, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I'm still using my Nikon D300, so I'm very limited at weekday games.
The D300 is incapable of low-light photography at a fast shutter speed
at any ISO,

false.

So you do a lot of low-light shooting with a D300?

Savageduck

Old September 25th 18, 03:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

I'm still using my Nikon D300, so I'm very limited at weekday games.
The D300 is incapable of low-light photography at a fast shutter speed
at any ISO,

false.

So you do a lot of low-light shooting with a D300?

i've done a *lot* of low light shooting with older (and not as capable)
nikon slrs (d100, d50 & d70) without much difficulty, prior to that,
nikon coolpix, and in prehistoric times, film slrs, nearly all of which
was theatre, which can be *very* low light and many times requires fast
shutter speeds.

they're obviously not as good as recent cameras, but to claim a d300 is
'incapable incapable of low-light photography at a fast shutter speed
at any iso' is simply false.
Old September 25th 18, 06:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 21:28:29 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I'm still using my Nikon D300, so I'm very limited at weekday games.
The D300 is incapable of low-light photography at a fast shutter speed
at any ISO,

false.

Good to hear from you with a carefully documented rebuttal. Please
provide a link to a photograph you have taken with a Nikon D300 in low
light at a fast shutter speed.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 25th 18, 06:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 18:45:32 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Sep 24, 2018, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I'm still using my Nikon D300, so I'm very limited at weekday games.
The D300 is incapable of low-light photography at a fast shutter speed
at any ISO,

false.

So you do a lot of low-light shooting with a D300?

You know he's going to claim that he has had success with shooting
fast speed, low light, field sports photographs with a Nikon D300, but
a guy who never produces evidence that he does any kind of photography
can claim anything.

As they say in Texas, all hat and no cattle.

Those who get decent low light photographs with a D300 are doing it
shooting aperture on a tripod. It works best if you are photographing
stationary subjects, not moving athletes. You might get a good shot
of the scoreboard.

I dunno about your D300S. I don't know how well that worked in sports
photography after the sun went down.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 25th 18, 07:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 24, 2018, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 18:45:32 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Sep 24, 2018, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In , Tony Cooper
wrote:

[...]

It was always good to have plenty of light. Unless you favored overwhelming
noise, even with fast glass. When it came to low light performance of the D300
& D300S, there are lesser Nikons such as the D7200 which do tangibly better.
Then there is the D500, or if you care to go FF, the D850. Having said all
that, my move to Fujifilm, and mirrorless seems to be permanent.

Savageduck

Old September 25th 18, 03:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 22:14:56 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

I'm still using my Nikon D300, so I'm very limited at weekday games.
The D300 is incapable of low-light photography at a fast shutter speed
at any ISO,

false.

So you do a lot of low-light shooting with a D300?

i've done a *lot* of low light shooting with older (and not as capable)
nikon slrs (d100, d50 & d70) without much difficulty, prior to that,
nikon coolpix, and in prehistoric times, film slrs, nearly all of which
was theatre, which can be *very* low light and many times requires fast
shutter speeds.

they're obviously not as good as recent cameras, but to claim a d300 is
'incapable incapable of low-light photography at a fast shutter speed
at any iso' is simply false.

Oh, for a minute there I thought you were claiming experience with a
Nikon D300 and were going to provide links to your photographs with
that camera. Foolish me.

I admit that I have had no success at all in this. If I shoot at
1/500th or faster, which is what I'd want to shoot capturing action
field sports, I get so much grain that I don't bother trying to
process the images. The higher the ISO, the more grain.

I should have mentioned that my experience in this has been with
longer lenses, but then you'd know that if you shoot field sports
photography. I assume you're an expert in that, too.

You do know that you just *saying* "false" doesn't prove ****?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida