USB Slide viewer. Do these exist?

Old June 14th 04, 01:52 PM
Andy Harris

Default USB Slide viewer. Do these exist?

I would love to get hold of a USB 35mm slide viewer. (combination of a
slide viewer and a webcam?) Does anyone know if these exist? I am
looking to view on screen and take a quick low res snap of 4,500
slides so that I can decide which to feed through my slide scanner.

Any info gratefully received

Andy
Old June 14th 04, 06:30 PM
David Littlewood

In article , Andy Harris
writes
I would love to get hold of a USB 35mm slide viewer. (combination of a
slide viewer and a webcam?) Does anyone know if these exist? I am
looking to view on screen and take a quick low res snap of 4,500
slides so that I can decide which to feed through my slide scanner.

Any info gratefully received

Andy,

Repeating my reply on uk.rec.photo.misc to reach a wider audience.

What's wrong with a lightbox and a good quality loupe? The image quality
will be hugely better than what you propose. Generations of
photographers have found this the fastest and best method of assessing
slides; a webcam will almost certainly not distinguish truly sharp
slides from junkers; a good loupe certainly will.

There are some very neat lightboxes available at low prices from Jessops
if you don't want a full sized one. Do buy a good loupe though. The
Schneider 4X is superb but a bit expensive. I also have an Ohnar loupe
which is pretty good and reasonably priced.
--
David Littlewood
Old June 14th 04, 09:27 PM
Martin Francis

"Andy Harris" wrote in message
I would love to get hold of a USB 35mm slide viewer. (combination of a
slide viewer and a webcam?) Does anyone know if these exist? I am
looking to view on screen and take a quick low res snap of 4,500
slides so that I can decide which to feed through my slide scanner.

Any info gratefully received

Andy

Lightbox and a webcam good enough?

no, and yes...."

Old June 14th 04, 09:53 PM
Alan Browne

Andy Harris wrote:
I would love to get hold of a USB 35mm slide viewer. (combination of a
slide viewer and a webcam?) Does anyone know if these exist? I am
looking to view on screen and take a quick low res snap of 4,500
slides so that I can decide which to feed through my slide scanner.

Any info gratefully received

Andy

Most people who have slides have projectors (or access to same).

If they're aready saved in carousel's then project them. As you
hit the ones that are worth scanning, take them out and put in a
"to scan" box.

As David says, a light box is great for 'down selecting' too, and
faster than a projector if the slides are not already loaded in a
carousel.

In any case I always use a lightbox as I scan, and that is where
the best are seperated for scanning.

Cheers,
Alan.

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--