B&H Photo and imported Tri-X?

Old March 14th 07, 03:49 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
R.W. Behan

Default B&H Photo and imported Tri-X?

B&H Photo for years has stocked "imported" 120 Tri-X and a substantial
discount. Now all I see at B&H is the "USA" designated Tri X.

Anybody know what's going on? Is the digital revolution slowly strangling
B&H's inventory of films?

TIA

Dick B.

Old March 14th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Gordon Moat

R.W. Behan wrote:
B&H Photo for years has stocked "imported" 120 Tri-X and a substantial
discount. Now all I see at B&H is the "USA" designated Tri X.

Anybody know what's going on? Is the digital revolution slowly strangling
B&H's inventory of films?

TIA

Dick B.

Due to Dollar to Euro exchange rates, some films are barely different in
price from imported to USA designations. Last I recall of several
different Kodak films sold that way through B&H was that there was less
than 0.50? difference in price; that hardly seems worth the effort for
B&H to import. It also surprises me that Kodak and Fuji have not
complained to B&H about grey market films, though maybe they have recently.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old March 14th 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Q.G. de Bakker

R.W. Behan wrote:

B&H Photo for years has stocked "imported" 120 Tri-X and a substantial
discount. Now all I see at B&H is the "USA" designated Tri X.

Anybody know what's going on? Is the digital revolution slowly strangling
B&H's inventory of films?

Could it not just be that Kodak isn't producing Tri-X outside the U.S.
anymore?

Old March 14th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
darkroommike

I'm not sure that's it, it the past a lot of "imported" film
was made in USA with overseas multi-language packaging, sent
overseas and then re-imported to the US through gray
channels. The Official film market rarely complained since
there were not the trademark and warranty issues that
originated with gray market cameras and even gray film
improves a brand's market saturation.

darkroommike

Old March 16th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
R.W. Behan

Thanks, folks,

Probably time to start using Ilford film, anyway.

Dick

Old March 17th 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
R.W. Behan

JF:

As a matter of fact, I ordered a dozen rolls of HP-5 yesterday, suspecting
it was the Ilford equivalent of Tri-X. I also suspected the Delta emulsion
was similar to Kodak's T-Max technology--which I never cared for--and your
note confirms that.

So how about developer? I have quite a bit of D-76 stocked ahead, and I
thought I'd begin by developing the HP-5 according to the Tri-X specs.
Would that work?

Years ago I wrote a little book about a down-and-dirty Zone System approach,
using variable film-development times to control negative contrast. That
was keyed to Tri-X and D-76, so it looks as if I may have to do some
recalibrations with HP-5. And, given my suspicion that Kodak is easing out
of the film/chemical business, maybe I'd better switch to an Ilford
developer sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the tip, and I'd appreciate your thinking about the items above.

Best,

Dick Behan
Lopez Island, Washington

(I tried sending this note just to you via email, but it was rejected.)

"j. fabian" wrote in message
"R.W. Behan" wrote:

Thanks, folks,

Probably time to start using Ilford film, anyway.

Dick

If you've enjoyed Tri-X I suggest trying Ilford HP-5 Plus (_Not_ Delta
400*). The grain structure is slightly finer than Tri-X, and it is
capable of significantly higher contrast depending on chemistry and
push/pull. I shot nothing but Tri-X for about 20 years then discovered
HP-5. I shoot high contrast so I was hooked.

*The Delta emulsions are similar to T-Max. Personally I find the "T" or
"Delta" shaped grain looks too much like color negative for my tastes.

Good luck

j f

--
well, it looked good on paper

Old March 17th 07, 12:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Q.G. de Bakker

R.W. Behan

So how about developer? I have quite a bit of D-76 stocked ahead, [...]

[...] maybe I'd better switch to an Ilford
developer sooner rather than later.

Ilford ID11 and Kodak D76 are the same stuff, same formulation.

Old March 17th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
R.W. Behan

Mr. de Bakker:

Thanks for the tip. I will rest at ease.

Cheers,

Dick Behan

R.W. Behan

Old March 17th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Bogdan Karasek

Hi,

Would it be possible to receive a copy or where I can get a copy. I
have also been using Tri-x since the early '60s and am always interested
in what others have managed to do with the film. The film has changed
over the years (I still treat it as a 200 iso film) and it is still my
workhorse in 35mm, push, pull, it does it all.

Cheers,
Bogdan

snip

"j. fabian" wrote in message

"R.W. Behan" wrote:

Thanks, folks,

Probably time to start using Ilford film, anyway.

Dick

If you've enjoyed Tri-X I suggest trying Ilford HP-5 Plus (_Not_ Delta
400*). The grain structure is slightly finer than Tri-X, and it is
capable of significantly higher contrast depending on chemistry and
push/pull. I shot nothing but Tri-X for about 20 years then discovered
HP-5. I shoot high contrast so I was hooked.

*The Delta emulsions are similar to T-Max. Personally I find the "T" or
"Delta" shaped grain looks too much like color negative for my tastes.

Good luck

j f

--
well, it looked good on paper

Bogdan Karasek
Montr‚al, Qu‚bec e-mail:
Canada

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darber muss man schweigen"
"What we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence"
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Old March 17th 07, 06:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
R.W. Behan

Bogdan;

Sure. I have a few old dusty copies and would be happy to send one. Send
me your mailing address.

Best,

Dick

"Bogdan Karasek" wrote in message
Hi,

Would it be possible to receive a copy or where I can get a copy. I have
also been using Tri-x since the early '60s and am always interested in
what others have managed to do with the film. The film has changed over
the years (I still treat it as a 200 iso film) and it is still my
workhorse in 35mm, push, pull, it does it all.

Cheers,
Bogdan

snip