Adapter from Minolta X700 lenses to Sony Alpha?

Old December 22nd 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Yuri Blanarovich

Default Adapter from Minolta X700 lenses to Sony Alpha?

Is there adapter or way of using older Minolta X-700 camera lenses with new
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100?

It obviously will not use the focus and iris auto features, but I would like
to use them in manual mode.

Thanks!
Yuri

Old December 23rd 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
frank

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 17:41:33 -0500, Yuri Blanarovich wrote:

Is there adapter or way of using older Minolta X-700 camera lenses with new
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100?

It obviously will not use the focus and iris auto features, but I would like
to use them in manual mode.

Thanks!
Yuri

Yuri,

Do a search on eBay - it's filthy with adapters - try "minolta lens sony
adapter." Some are very inexpensive and others are inexplicably
expensive. Just snagged an Olympus to Canon which even supports the focus
indicator signal.

Frank
Old December 23rd 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Yuri Blanarovich

Thanks, shoulda thought of that :-)

Graduated from SLR via Casio Digital to Sony Alfa, love it.
Nice to have both SLR a DSLR and be able to share lenses.

Merry Christmas!

Yuri

news

Old December 25th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Fred McKenzie

In article ,
"Yuri Blanarovich" wrote:

Is there adapter or way of using older Minolta X-700 camera lenses with new
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100?

It obviously will not use the focus and iris auto features, but I would like
to use them in manual mode.

Yuri-

If you find such an adapter, thats great. I seem to recall from years
back, that the Minolta Maxxum/Dynax SLR users were unsuccessful. It may
have something to do with the mounting flange-to-sensor distance being
greater with the newer SLRs than with the X-700 (or at least it would be
greater due to the thickness of an adapter). If you made such an
adapter, it might require optics to restore infinity focus.

I was fortunate to have a collection of Maxxum lenses that work
perfectly with the Sony Alpha. So far, my only problem was with an
older Xi flash that doesn't use the current version of TTL control.

Fred
Old December 25th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Kilpatrick

Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
"Yuri Blanarovich" wrote:

Is there adapter or way of using older Minolta X-700 camera lenses with new
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100?

It obviously will not use the focus and iris auto features, but I would like
to use them in manual mode.

Yuri-

If you find such an adapter, thats great. I seem to recall from years
back, that the Minolta Maxxum/Dynax SLR users were unsuccessful. It may
have something to do with the mounting flange-to-sensor distance being
greater with the newer SLRs than with the X-700 (or at least it would be
greater due to the thickness of an adapter). If you made such an
adapter, it might require optics to restore infinity focus.

I was fortunate to have a collection of Maxxum lenses that work
perfectly with the Sony Alpha. So far, my only problem was with an
older Xi flash that doesn't use the current version of TTL control.

These adaptors do exist and include either a 1.1X or 1.2X optical
converter 'relay' and come up on eBay regularly. They generally sell for
around $100, more or less their original price.

There is a special one made by Minolta, 1.4X if I remember, which
includes an AF mechanism. It enables crude autofocus with X-series
lenses. They sell for much more and were never marketed in Europe, only
in the USA.

David
Old December 26th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Yuri Blanarovich

Thanks for the info.
So far I was able to find some adapters on eBay, one Sipratone went for $90,
it is adapter and they seem to have some lens to compensate for the infinity
focus.
I found 2x converter/adapter for $50 which I ordered and will try.
B&H is advertising converters for about $40 but out of stock.
So far I like the Alpha and it would be nice to use some of my old lenses
with it.

Yuri

"David Kilpatrick" wrote in message