How safe is Central Park in New York?

Old February 7th 04, 07:47 PM
KBob

Default How safe is Central Park in New York?

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 19:14:15 -0500, Whatevah
wrote:

Nicholas Albano III wrote:

I'll just add -- don't put anything down and turn your back on it -- it may
disappear.

Good luck

Nick

sorry for the mis-placed reply... I didn't see the original post.

during the day, Central Park is safe, just don't take your eyes off your
equipment (attach your bag to the tripod when shooting).

if you're still there when it starts getting dark, make sure you have
pepper spray and a loud whistle or something.

it doesn't hurt to have serial numbers of all your equipment, and a
little insurance never hurts, either.

I've been through Central Park many times, but not with a camera. It
certainly seemed safe enough at the time. It's always a good idea,
however, to avoid triggering the "steal" impulse by covering over your
camera's logo with black tape, and don't carry a camera bag that
announces "Nikon" or "Canon" in big letters. Maybe something like a
backpack would look a little less "photographic."
Old February 8th 04, 08:47 PM
rgans

I've taken many shots in Central Park, in the early morning, day and at
night; walked all over, for years and years and years and nothing has ever
happened to me. I use a large camera with a tripod and a big carrying case.
I'm not a real big guy, so were there muggers or thieves I could be a decent
target. But nothing has happened. Not only has nothing happened, but I don't
personally know of anyone who was accosted in Central Park.

That being said, there is crime everywhere in the country, so don't be a
fool about it. Note that crime is less in NYC than in most other major
cities in the U.S. (and in Europe, like Paris or London, which are both
experiencing a crime surge.)

RON

Old February 14th 04, 12:40 AM
ChrisPlatt

Wasn't Jack Lemmon mugged there?

Excelsior, you fatheads!
-Chris-
Old February 17th 04, 05:52 AM
Fred A. Miller

ChrisPlatt wrote:

Wasn't Jack Lemmon mugged there?

I live in NY, but AVOID the City - period. There isn't any place in NY City
that can be called "safe."

Fred

--
"...Linux, MS-DOS, and Windows XP (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
the Ugly)."
Old February 17th 04, 01:13 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
Fred A. Miller wrote:
ChrisPlatt wrote:

Wasn't Jack Lemmon mugged there?

I live in NY, but AVOID the City - period. There isn't any place in NY City
that can be called "safe."

Fred

--

I guess that means you avoid the 25 or so largest US cities and don't
travel internationally other than maybe canada and England :-) When

"...Linux, MS-DOS, and Windows XP (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
the Ugly)."

Good SIG.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Old February 17th 04, 08:15 PM
Fred A. Miller

Al Dykes wrote:

In article ,
Fred A. Miller wrote:
ChrisPlatt wrote:

Wasn't Jack Lemmon mugged there?

I live in NY, but AVOID the City - period. There isn't any place in NY City
that can be called "safe."

Fred

--

I guess that means you avoid the 25 or so largest US cities and don't
travel internationally other than maybe canada and England :-) When
was the last time you were in NYC ? Yes, the crime rate hit a high
point in the 80's, but things are _very_ different now. NYC was never
the most dangerous city in the USA, by any measure. If you walk around
looking like a victim you can get mugged in a cornfield in Iowa, by a
crow.

I'm not going to argue about it. I haven't been there for awhile, and don't
plan to either.

Fred

Old May 15th 04, 02:00 PM

In message ,
"Fred A. Miller" wrote:

ChrisPlatt wrote:

Wasn't Jack Lemmon mugged there?

I live in NY, but AVOID the City - period. There isn't any place in NY City
that can be called "safe."

There isn't anywhere in the world that can be called safe, except your
grave.

--

John P Sheehy

Old May 15th 04, 02:07 PM
Al Dykes

In article , wrote:
In message ,
"Fred A. Miller" wrote:

ChrisPlatt wrote:

Wasn't Jack Lemmon mugged there?

I live in NY, but AVOID the City - period. There isn't any place in NY City
that can be called "safe."

??????

There isn't anywhere in the world that can be called safe, except your
grave.

FBI crime statistics announced a couple of months ago that NYC was
safer than 40 other cities with population of a million or more,
and CP is by no means the most dangerous part of NYC.

--
Al Dykes
-----------
Old May 15th 04, 03:40 PM
ChrisPlatt

Alright, since no one seems to have picked up on it,
the Jack Lemmon line was a reference to a fictional event
in the 1960's movie "The Out of Towners".

This comedy played on Middle America's popular perception
of New York City as an unsafe, out-of-control place
where anything could happen, most of them bad.

I was born in Queens in 1961 and lived there for over 30 years.
From 1987-2002 my work took me to any of the 5 boroughs of NYC every day.

Throughout my life I have spent much of my recreation there, too.
There's a lifetime of things to do and see in NYC.

Like the overwhelming majority of those who live in or visit NYC,
I have never been the victim of a crime there, violent or otherwise.

So don't worry! Visit Central Park with your photo gear.
Use the same common sense caution you'd use with it
anywhere else and you'll be just fine.

Enjoy!

Excelsior, you fatheads!
-Chris-