SSD drives. Guaranteed disasters waiting to happen?

Old August 11th 16, 06:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default SSD drives. Guaranteed disasters waiting to happen?

On 8/11/2016 10:32 AM, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
PeterN wrote:
On 8/10/2016 9:26 PM, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
RichA wrote:
Yes, yes. We know. ONLY the operating system. But
other programs, etc., hinge on it and some are resident
on the SSD.

http://techreport.com/review/27909/t...heyre-all-dead

You probably should have actually read the article you cited.

They last longer than regular winchester hard disks.
And it is unlikely that an average user could wear one
out in 3 *decades* if they buy a cheap one. Buy your
kid a good one, and it will be working fine when the kid
hits 100 years old.

About two years ago my HDD went. At that time I was
advised that SSDs were not yet reliable. I am thinking
about upgrading my machine. How do I know which is a
crap SSD and which is reliable?

How do I know

BTW, what difference does it make? The worst ones will
apparently outlast you by several decades.

Probably true.
I am trying to figure out if 256G would e sufficient for THE O/S & my
program files.

--
PeterN
Old August 11th 16, 06:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

About two years ago my HDD went. At that time I was
advised that SSDs were not yet reliable. I am thinking
about upgrading my machine. How do I know which is a
crap SSD and which is reliable?

How do I know

BTW, what difference does it make? The worst ones will
apparently outlast you by several decades.

Probably true.
I am trying to figure out if 256G would e sufficient for THE O/S & my
program files.

how much space do they take up now?

keep in mind that ideally, you don't want to fill an ssd.

also keep in mind that 500g ssds are $100ish, making 256g not much of a
bargain anymore, and with 1tb around $200, you might as well go for
that if you're not on a super-tight budget.
Old August 11th 16, 06:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-08-11 17:45:14 +0000, nospam said:

In article , PeterN
wrote:

About two years ago my HDD went. At that time I was
advised that SSDs were not yet reliable. I am thinking
about upgrading my machine. How do I know which is a
crap SSD and which is reliable?

How do I know

BTW, what difference does it make? The worst ones will
apparently outlast you by several decades.

Probably true.
I am trying to figure out if 256G would e sufficient for THE O/S & my
program files.

how much space do they take up now?

keep in mind that ideally, you don't want to fill an ssd.

also keep in mind that 500g ssds are $100ish, making 256g not much of a
bargain anymore, and with 1tb around $200, you might as well go for
that if you're not on a super-tight budget.

I have to agree with nospam here. 500 GB and 1 TB SSD's are more usual
these days. Add to that many computers are delivered today with 500GB,
1TB, 2TB, and 3TB SSDs along with fusion drives, but fusion drive
installations are dropping off.

Savageduck

Old August 11th 16, 07:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

I am trying to figure out if 256G would e sufficient for THE O/S & my
program files.

how much space do they take up now?

keep in mind that ideally, you don't want to fill an ssd.

also keep in mind that 500g ssds are $100ish, making 256g not much of a
bargain anymore, and with 1tb around $200, you might as well go for
that if you're not on a super-tight budget.

I have to agree with nospam here. 500 GB and 1 TB SSD's are more usual
these days. Add to that many computers are delivered today with 500GB,
1TB, 2TB, and 3TB SSDs along with fusion drives, but fusion drive
installations are dropping off.

who needs fusion when you can get a 13 tb ssd
http://www.pcworld.com/article/30218...s-first-13tb-s
sd-is-here.html
http://www.fixstars.com/en/ssd/spec/
Old August 11th 16, 07:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 8/11/2016 2:04 PM, nospam wrote:
Savageduck wrote:

I am trying to figure out if 256G would e sufficient for THE O/S & my
program files.
how much space do they take up now?

keep in mind that ideally, you don't want to fill an ssd.

also keep in mind that 500g ssds are $100ish, making 256g not much of a
bargain anymore, and with 1tb around $200, you might as well go for
that if you're not on a super-tight budget.

I have to agree with nospam here. 500 GB and 1 TB SSD's are more usual
these days. Add to that many computers are delivered today with 500GB,
1TB, 2TB, and 3TB SSDs along with fusion drives, but fusion drive
installations are dropping off.

who needs fusion when you can get a 13 tb ssd
http://www.pcworld.com/article/30218...s-first-13tb-s
sd-is-here.html
http://www.fixstars.com/en/ssd/spec/

Or an even larger one
https://www.dpreview.com/news/375252...60tb-ssd-drive

Old August 11th 16, 07:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PAS wrote:

also keep in mind that 500g ssds are $100ish, making 256g not much of a
bargain anymore, and with 1tb around $200, you might as well go for
that if you're not on a super-tight budget.
I have to agree with nospam here. 500 GB and 1 TB SSD's are more usual
these days. Add to that many computers are delivered today with 500GB,
1TB, 2TB, and 3TB SSDs along with fusion drives, but fusion drive
installations are dropping off.

who needs fusion when you can get a 13 tb ssd
http://www.pcworld.com/article/30218...s-first-13tb-s
sd-is-here.html
http://www.fixstars.com/en/ssd/spec/

Or an even larger one
https://www.dpreview.com/news/375252...60tb-ssd-drive

yea, but that's not out yet.
Old August 11th 16, 08:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 11/08/2016 18:21, PeterN wrote:
[]
Probably true.
I am trying to figure out if 256G would e sufficient for THE O/S & my
program files.

Likely, more than. The PC I'm using right now has a 128 GB SSD and
that's accommodating all OS and program files, and a 27 GB Windows.old
from the upgrade.

To show disk usage graphically and in order of space used, try my
ShowMan program - displays a clickable pie-chart.

http://www.satsignal.eu/software/disk.html#ShowMan
--
Cheers,
David
Old August 11th 16, 08:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 8/11/2016 2:51 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PAS wrote:

also keep in mind that 500g ssds are $100ish, making 256g not much of a
bargain anymore, and with 1tb around $200, you might as well go for
that if you're not on a super-tight budget.
I have to agree with nospam here. 500 GB and 1 TB SSD's are more usual
these days. Add to that many computers are delivered today with 500GB,
1TB, 2TB, and 3TB SSDs along with fusion drives, but fusion drive
installations are dropping off.
who needs fusion when you can get a 13 tb ssd
http://www.pcworld.com/article/30218...s-first-13tb-s
sd-is-here.html
http://www.fixstars.com/en/ssd/spec/

Or an even larger one
https://www.dpreview.com/news/375252...60tb-ssd-drive

yea, but that's not out yet.

Correct. I wonder what the cost will be.

Old August 11th 16, 08:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Savageduck wrote:

[...]

"Seagate say the drive has four times the capacity and twice the
density of the next largest competing unit and could store ... 400
million photos."

That should be enough for most of us.
Old August 11th 16, 10:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 14:04:34 -0400, nospam

Savageduck wrote:

I am trying to figure out if 256G would e sufficient for THE O/S & my
program files.

how much space do they take up now?

keep in mind that ideally, you don't want to fill an ssd.

also keep in mind that 500g ssds are $100ish, making 256g not much of a
bargain anymore, and with 1tb around $200, you might as well go for
that if you're not on a super-tight budget.

I have to agree with nospam here. 500 GB and 1 TB SSD's are more usual
these days. Add to that many computers are delivered today with 500GB,
1TB, 2TB, and 3TB SSDs along with fusion drives, but fusion drive
installations are dropping off.

who needs fusion when you can get a 13 tb ssd
http://www.pcworld.com/article/30218...s-first-13tb-s
sd-is-here.html
http://www.fixstars.com/en/ssd/spec/

100TB coming soon?