free and convenient svg hosting

Old June 12th 15, 03:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

Default free and convenient svg hosting

| I'm just used to the convenient way imgur works, but it happens to
| reject svg files.

I'm curious why that matters. SVG is an extremely
limited tool, graphically. It allows making very big,
very simple images relatively small in terms of bytes.
So it might occasionally be handy for a webpage logo.
(Though there's not much sense saving a few bytes on
the size of a logo image if one is bloating the webpage
with 1.5 MB of javascript slop, which has become
increasingly common.)
If someone downloads your Tux image they're probably
going to prefer a GIF. Even if they have tools to edit SVG
code and know how to use them, why would they want to?
I can see someone editing something like their own webpage
logo, but for just about anything else SVG is a clever idea
with virtually no useful purpose. (It's no accident that
SVG usage is nearly non-existent.)

Old June 12th 15, 08:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sobriquet

On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 4:57:24 PM UTC+2, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 12 June 2015 14:32:11 UTC+1, sobriquet wrote:
On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 1:49:08 PM UTC+2, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 11 June 2015 23:28:29 UTC+1, sobriquet wrote:
On Thursday, June 11, 2015 at 11:30:46 AM UTC+2, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 10 June 2015 18:01:53 UTC+1, sobriquet wrote:
On Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at 6:06:53 PM UTC+2, android wrote:
In article ,
sobriquet wrote:

On Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at 3:41:48 PM UTC+2, peterN wrote:
On 6/10/2015 6:27 AM, sobriquet wrote:
On Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at 4:51:11 AM UTC+2, android wrote:
In article ,
sobriquet wrote:

Is there any place online similar to imgur that will host svg images in
a convenient fashion?

For instance an image like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../b0/NewTux.svg

I can upload it to postimg, but they turn it into a png file
and I prefer the image to stay in the svg format.

http://postimg.org/image/pqi5tljv7/

The free hosting service should not require any registration for
uploading and sharing (like imgur and postimg).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

dropbox.com
--
teleportation kills

It seems on dropbox you can't upload things for free online sharing
without registration.

The world doesn't exist to serve your wants.

--
PeterN

Any other pointless remarks you'd like to contribute to the discussion?

Any reason for you to not do a simple websearch?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_h...-click_hosting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...sting_services

http://www.filedropper.com/
--
teleportation kills

You're listing filehosting services.

I was looking for an imagehosting service similar to imgur.

I put "imagehosting service similar to imgur" into the google search and found this.

http://webtrends.about.com/od/prof4/...For-Photos.htm

I've tried quite a few, but haven't found one as convenient as
imgur that works with svg files.

Convenient in terms of requiring no registration,

Why is that such a problem ?

Because there is no realy reason to register just to put
an image online.

But if you want to put the image on line using their service you have to registar whats wrong with that, didn;t you registar to have email to have yuor home and buy your compueter and the like....

No, because at imgur and postimg, I don't need to register if I want to
share an image.

Why not set up your own server for doing it.

direct
linking to images being allowed and uploading directly from
weblinks.

what do you want to do that's so differnt or special .....

I'm just used to the convenient way imgur works, but it happens to
reject svg files.

I guess it's their right to accept what files they want to accept and not others, just like most things that are free.

Sure. But there might be some similar service out there somewhere that *does* accept svg files.