Densitometer??

Old October 23rd 03, 04:04 AM
Jesse

Default Densitometer??

Looking for a used but working densitometer capable of reading pyro
negatives for $300 or less. Anyone have any ideas on where to look ?

Old October 23rd 03, 02:54 PM
Nick Zentena

Jesse wrote:
Looking for a used but working densitometer capable of reading pyro
negatives for $300 or less. Anyone have any ideas on where to look ?

Ebay. Won't any of the colour models work? If so mine cost less then $100
but it's also 30 years old.

Nick

--
"It is a mistake, however, to assume that the Zone System therefore 'does
not work' with roll-film cameras; since it is a practical expression of
Old October 23rd 03, 06:14 PM
Andrew Frith

If the pyro stained negs are intended for silver printing then yes, any
color densitometer can read these thru the blue channel, however if the pyro
negs are intended to be used for alternative processes (which they often
are) like pt/pd that use a UV light source then you need a densitometer that
can read thru a UV channel. The models that can do this are few and usually
quite expensive..i think the densitometers that have a UV channel are/were
used in the production of silicon chip wafers that originally start out as a
film that is exposed to UV light I believe (but I could be wrong about
that)...

I know x-rite has at least one model that has a UV channel capability...

Old October 23rd 03, 11:38 PM
Jesse

Printing will be silver based for the time being .Alternative processes will
just have to wait for awhile. Are there any particular models of color
densitometers that I should look out for ?

Old October 23rd 03, 11:54 PM
Andrew Frith

I recommend getting a densitometer that can handle both transmissive and
reflective modes (for reading both negs and prints)...there's a few
different eseco models that are color densitometers that handle
both...you'll need a calibrated step wedge too (stoufer's is cheaper than
the kodak ones) so you can read what's going on with your negs...i recommend
a second hand one off ebay and don't pay a lot for one, they're going
considerably cheaper these days than retail..

Good luck
-andrew

On 10/23/03 3:38 PM, in article
. net, "Jesse"

Old October 24th 03, 12:31 AM
Gregory W. Blank

Andrew Frith wrote:

however if the pyro
negs are intended to be used for alternative processes (which they often
are) like pt/pd that use a UV light source then you need a densitometer that
can read thru a UV channel.

Can you explain this line of reasoning.

--

website:
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank
Old October 25th 03, 03:26 AM
Rich Shepard

On 2003-10-23, Jesse wrote:

Printing will be silver based for the time being .Alternative processes
will just have to wait for awhile. Are there any particular models of
color densitometers that I should look out for ?

I bought a used X-Rite 810 on eBay a couple of years ago. It came with
calibration tools for both transmission and reflection. It's an excellent
tool that I use for establishing film speed (among other tasks).

Rich
Old November 1st 03, 03:24 AM
Rome Hutchings

The "Calibration Strip" is more important than using a step wedge when
readings are taken with any densitometer. Usually they come from the
manufacturer and are used to "calibrate" your densitometer. Which, if
the densitometer is not "calibrated", your readings don't mean anything.

Just a tip,

RH