request for David Littleboy

Old August 9th 04, 12:21 PM
RolandRB

Default request for David Littleboy

I have always wondered if lenses for the Mamiya TLRs were exactly the
same or the viewing lens was the result of QC testing and found to be
of poorer quality and therefore used as a viewing lens. Would you be
able to contact Mamiya's Japanese office and ask them?
Old August 9th 04, 01:53 PM
David J. Littleboy

"RolandRB" wrote in message
om...
I have always wondered if lenses for the Mamiya TLRs were exactly the
same or the viewing lens was the result of QC testing and found to be
of poorer quality and therefore used as a viewing lens. Would you be
able to contact Mamiya's Japanese office and ask them?

That's not the sort of question one is likely to get a straight answer to.

Watch this space. (It's 10:00 pn here now.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old August 10th 04, 07:26 AM
David J. Littleboy

"Bob Monaghan" wrote:

Hi David! ;-) quoting from http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/mamiyatlrlens.html

Roland wrote
I've taken apart both viewing and taking lenses for cleaning and both
the taking and viewing lenses look identical to each other and are
constructed the same. This includes taking out individual lens elements
for cleaning. I've swapped them round and noticed no difference at all.
They would seem to be identical twins. So next time you see one for sale
on ebay with a slightly spoiled taking lens then help yourself to a
bargain.

endquote

these posters suggest they are the same for these mamiya tlr lenses...

In many other TLRs, of course, the viewing lens is faster so as to provide
narrowed DOF and sharper focusing, or less complex as it is not being used
to make the photo, just an image to focus (fewer elements etc.).

if you do swap lenses, be sure to recollimate the new setup, as shims will
likely need to be set to make them match up again...

FWIW, Mamiya's comment is that the lenses are matched closely for focal
length, and that there really isn't a large difference between them. But the
taking lens will, in most cases, exhibit higher resolution than the viewing
lens.

No surprisesg.

Also, FWIW, they were quite friendly and happy to discuss it. The
receptionist who answered the phone immediately got me to someone who
sounded quite sensible.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old August 10th 04, 01:23 PM
RolandRB

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message ...
"Bob Monaghan" wrote:

[...]

At last. Thankyou. I'm guessing the higher resolutions for the taking
lens will show up more at wider apertures when the resolution is not
diffraction limited.