Autumn in southern New Zealand

Old March 14th 04, 09:07 AM
Rob Davison

Default Autumn in southern New Zealand

I feel like I've learnt something from looking at Chuck Curtos
photographs and reading the comments people made about them.

Thought I'd ask if someone would do the same for me...

http://www.pbase.com/mapleglen/autumn

If you have time I'd appreciate any comments very much.

Thanks,

Rob.

Old March 14th 04, 09:54 PM

Rob Davison wrote:
I feel like I've learnt something from looking at Chuck Curtos
photographs and reading the comments people made about them.

Thought I'd ask if someone would do the same for me...

http://www.pbase.com/mapleglen/autumn

If you have time I'd appreciate any comments very much.

You have some nice images, many in my opinion just need a little
processing. Small ones need some sharpening.

White skys make an image look washed out; same for
all white (overexposed) clouds. For example:

JeanAtMilford.jpg

The clouds are mostly white and overexposed. If in your
original they are not overexposed, select the sky (this can be
a loose selection), feather maximum (250 in photoshop)
then change the contrast with the curves tool to show
detail in the clouds. Invert the selection and change
contrast for the rest of the scene. Images can be
made to have more impact with the curves tool: make the
line going up at 45 degrees to be below the original
45 degree trend at the low end, and, if needed to lighten, above
the original 45 degree trend at the high end (make the transfer
function more s-shaped). This increases contrast and
and apparent saturation. I never use the contrast tools
in photoshop as they are additive and can blow out the
highlights too easily. I only use levels and curves.

Roger