OT but still photography

Old May 18th 04, 02:02 AM
jjs

Default OT but still photography

In article et, "Mike"
wrote:

John as some one who lives in the NW corner of Washington a little advice.
If or when you reach Forks WA make sure you have an underwater housing, can
rain a LOT there...... lol
Have a great trip both coasts are beautiful.

We are ready for that, Mike! And I look forward to seeing your part of the
world. The little Olympus is the weather resistant one - sealed as much as
is feasible for a toy. And the SWC will just get wet, I guess. Life is
short. I'm not going to shoot through a baggie. Or maybe I will.
Old May 18th 04, 03:00 AM
Stacey

jjs wrote:

First, to put this On Topic: my wife and I are traveling very light on a
cross-country trip, and I'm taking my SWC and Zeiss Ikonta 645 folder. But
for her...

The years haven't been kind to the eyes and she can't use the Olympus
Pen-F anymore. She's looking for a point-n-shoot. Got any recommendations?
Digital is okay, too.

I've been real impressed with the olympus stylus with the fixed length 35mm
f2.8 lens. Very sharp, easy to load, extra small, focuses really close and
even has a "lock" so it won't fire if you try to get too close to
something. New they are like $80 at B&H, I've gotten them for a half dozen
people and everyone has been happy, said things like "This is the best
camera I've ever used" etc.
--

Stacey
Old May 18th 04, 03:14 AM
Mike

"jjs" wrote in message
In article et, "Mike"
wrote:

John as some one who lives in the NW corner of Washington a little

advice.
If or when you reach Forks WA make sure you have an underwater housing,

can
rain a LOT there...... lol
Have a great trip both coasts are beautiful.

We are ready for that, Mike! And I look forward to seeing your part of the
world. The little Olympus is the weather resistant one - sealed as much as
is feasible for a toy. And the SWC will just get wet, I guess. Life is
short. I'm not going to shoot through a baggie. Or maybe I will.

Don't for get to eat a few of our delicious Dungess crab.

Old May 18th 04, 05:47 AM
Julian Barkway

"jjs" spake thusly to the assembled multitudes, agog
with barely concealed anticipation:

To keep it on topic for the medium format group, I would suggest finding

one
of the various Fuji 645 autofocus cameras. [...]

Aw, Gordon! Do you think I'm made of money? But I do appreciate the
points.

You can pick up a used GA645 on EBay for about the price of a good digicam.
Very nice little cameras. Auto-everything *and* they take a great pictrure!

--
| Julian Barkway, |"In the US, irony is a mark left on your clothes by |
| Zurich, | a bad laundry service." - David Kennedy |
| Switzerland +------------------+---------------------------------+
| | (Hint: Capitals are out...) |

Old May 18th 04, 07:05 AM
David J. Littleboy

"Julian Barkway" wrote:
"jjs" spake thusly to the assembled multitudes, agog
with barely concealed anticipation:

To keep it on topic for the medium format group, I would suggest

finding
one of the various Fuji 645 autofocus cameras. [...]

Aw, Gordon! Do you think I'm made of money? But I do appreciate the
points.

You can pick up a used GA645 on EBay for about the price of a good

digicam.
Very nice little cameras. Auto-everything *and* they take a great

pictrure!

But jjs is right: Fuji 645s are expensive.

You'll look at the slides from it, and they'll look sharp. You'll pull out
your best loupe, and they'll still look sharp. You'll put one under a 60x
microscope, and it'll still be sharp.

And then you'll by a Nikon 8000 or 9000, since that's the only way you can
get the detail off the slides.

A Fuji 645 is an extremely bad idea if you're on a limited budget.

David J. Littleboy

Tokyo, Japan

Old May 18th 04, 02:04 PM
Stefano Bramato

Thanks, all! I had to go to the nearest town today to turn in our brand new
broken G5 for repair, so I stopped by Best Buy and went with Neil Gould's
recommendation. Since we will be on the beaches in Oregon and Washington
state I got the weather resistant Olympus Stylus 300. It was on sale. 3.2mpx
is good enough for snapshots, and they threw in 256mb cards for $79 each.

but the mju is weather proof too...

CIao!

--
Non è bello cio che è bello figuriamoci cio che è brutto!
Old May 18th 04, 03:35 PM
jjs

"Julian Barkway" wrote in message

You can pick up a used GA645 on EBay for about the price of a good

digicam.
Very nice little cameras. Auto-everything *and* they take a great

pictrure!

They are suspiciously inexpensive. In any event, I'll be carrying a _real_
MF so we are covered.

Old May 18th 04, 06:41 PM
Julian Barkway

"jjs" spake thusly to the assembled multitudes, agog
with barely concealed anticipation:

You can pick up a used GA645 on EBay for about the price of a good

digicam.
Very nice little cameras. Auto-everything *and* they take a great

pictrure!

They are suspiciously inexpensive. In any event, I'll be carrying a _real_
MF so we are covered.

'Suspiciously inexpensive'! I *like* that g

Could go for a lot of the MF gear on EBay....

--
| Julian Barkway, |"In the US, irony is a mark left on your clothes by |
| Zurich, | a bad laundry service." - David Kennedy |
| Switzerland +------------------+---------------------------------+
| | (Hint: Capitals are out...) |

Old May 18th 04, 06:41 PM
Julian Barkway

"David J. Littleboy" spake thusly to the assembled
multitudes, agog with barely concealed anticipation:

You can pick up a used GA645 on EBay for about the price of a good

digicam.
Very nice little cameras. Auto-everything *and* they take a great

pictrure!

But jjs is right: Fuji 645s are expensive.

You'll look at the slides from it, and they'll look sharp. You'll pull out
your best loupe, and they'll still look sharp. You'll put one under a 60x
microscope, and it'll still be sharp.

And then you'll by a Nikon 8000 or 9000, since that's the only way you can
get the detail off the slides.

a) Assuming you want to scan the shots in the first place and
b) assuming one of the more recent flatbeds doesn't actually meet your
requirements...

A Fuji 645 is an extremely bad idea if you're on a limited budget.

Perhaps, perhaps not. Depends what it is you want, I guess.

--
| Julian Barkway, |"In the US, irony is a mark left on your clothes by |
| Zurich, | a bad laundry service." - David Kennedy |
| Switzerland +------------------+---------------------------------+
| | (Hint: Capitals are out...) |

Old May 18th 04, 11:43 PM
Bob Monaghan

Hi Stacey!

yes, some years ago PopPhoto reviewed the available P&S 35mm cameras, and
was surprised to discover the Olympus stylus with the fixed f/2.8 35mm
lens outperformed many of the competitors at two or more times the price
;-) Lots of features too, for a $75-ish camera NIB ;-)

regards bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *