Lens recommendation for dia film reproduction?

Old February 19th 21, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

Default Lens recommendation for dia film reproduction?

On 2021-02-17 16:34, -hh wrote:

Exactly, and I'm already on my second film scanner that's been grossly
underutilized because my soul's already been crushed - twice - by the amount
of time it eats up to "do it right".

Two thoughts,

1) If you're scanning images from the past, then the workflow is
important. Pre-scan, settings, scan. Tedious, but it will get you
there. If you capture the full range of exposure over the widest range
of bits, then you have all you need to do colour/tone etc. in Photoslop
or whatever environment.

Legacy stuff can depend a huge amount on condition which sucks up touch labor.

I wrote about this a few years ago here ... the Pre-scan can include dry & wet cleaning
steps, demounting to enable that, remounting to fit better in the digitizing device, etc.
There's limited opportunity for labor saving through economies-of-scale batching.

2) If you're scanning 'current work' and your technical abilities with
shooting film are decent, then the scanning work is far less due to
consistency (same film types used often, proper exposure, etc.).

Sure. Recent stuff is more amenable and the trade-off is deciding if to pay someone
to do it (so that it actually gets done) versus burning the touch labor one's self.

The crush here is less time for photography and that's mostly digital in
any case...

As well as competing against other priorities of non-photographic nature(s).

FWIW, one thing that I have accomplished on photo interests this month has been to
pull out and recharge my strobe batteries, to prevent them from dying from natural
discharge from months & months of non-use.

-hh

Old February 19th 21, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2021-02-17 16:34, -hh wrote:

Exactly, and I'm already on my second film scanner that's been grossly
underutilized because my soul's already been crushed - twice - by the amount
of time it eats up to "do it right".

Two thoughts,

1) If you're scanning images from the past, then the workflow is
important. Pre-scan, settings, scan. Tedious, but it will get you
there. If you capture the full range of exposure over the widest range
of bits, then you have all you need to do colour/tone etc. in Photoslop
or whatever environment.

Legacy stuff can depend a huge amount on condition which sucks up touch labor.

I wrote about this a few years ago here ... the Pre-scan can include dry & wet cleaning
steps, demounting to enable that, remounting to fit better in the digitizing device, etc.
There's limited opportunity for labor saving through economies-of-scale batching.

Most of my old stuff is well protected. But yes, some 'finds' do need
work first.

2) If you're scanning 'current work' and your technical abilities with
shooting film are decent, then the scanning work is far less due to
consistency (same film types used often, proper exposure, etc.).

Sure. Recent stuff is more amenable and the trade-off is deciding if to pay someone
to do it (so that it actually gets done) versus burning the touch labor one's self.

The crush here is less time for photography and that's mostly digital in
any case...

As well as competing against other priorities of non-photographic nature(s).

FWIW, one thing that I have accomplished on photo interests this month has been to
pull out and recharge my strobe batteries, to prevent them from dying from natural
discharge from months & months of non-use.

Did that a few months ago --- getting time to do it again.

I did 'condition' my studio strobes last month...

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."
Old February 19th 21, 10:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

On 2021-02-17 16:34, -hh wrote:

[...]

I'm cleaning out a family home, prepping for sale (anyone interested in DE Bay waterfront?);
some of the finds have been a box of old Kodachrome 35mm slides which were stored in the
semi-heated garage where Dad also did his woodworking. They're thick in pooge and need
nothing short of a long wet soak cleaning to loosen up 3-4 decades, which will (of course)
trash all of the cardboard mounts. Not a "2 minute cleanup" job by a long shot. Also found
some 19C photo albums stuff in an "attic" closet - that should be an easy-by-comparison
flatbed for high rez, but I'll probably do the quick "dSLR-on-tripod-pointing-down-at-table"
grab before I trust my 'family historian' sibling to finally figure out how to work his scanner.

2) If you're scanning 'current work' and your technical abilities with
shooting film are decent, then the scanning work is far less due to
consistency (same film types used often, proper exposure, etc.).

Sure. Recent stuff is more amenable and the trade-off is deciding if to pay someone
to do it (so that it actually gets done) versus burning the touch labor one's self.

The crush here is less time for photography and that's mostly digital in
any case...

As well as competing against other priorities of non-photographic nature(s).

FWIW, one thing that I have accomplished on photo interests this month has been to
pull out and recharge my strobe batteries, to prevent them from dying from natural
discharge from months & months of non-use.

Did that a few months ago --- getting time to do it again.

I did 'condition' my studio strobes last month...

I also have a handful of the standard camera batteries to do too (LP-E6's), but they're
comparatively cheap, so not as much of a priority.

-hh
Old February 20th 21, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On Friday, 19 February 2021 at 08:32:47 UTC-5, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2021-02-17 16:34, -hh wrote:

[...]

Get a light table and magnifier or projector so you can vet the junk from the quality first.
Avoiding scanning stuff not worth scanning is a good idea.

I did forget to put that in. It's such a habit with me to not scan
crud, that I assume everyone is the same.

A pro photog I know has a program to very rapidly go through his digital
take. He can 'reject' a 100 photos per minute - and that program
completely erases them as if it never happened.

Old February 21st 21, 05:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

On 2021-02-17 16:34, -hh wrote:

Get a light table and magnifier or projector so you can vet the junk from the quality first.
Avoiding scanning stuff not worth scanning is a good idea.

I did forget to put that in. It's such a habit with me to not scan
crud, that I assume everyone is the same.

A fair enough statement.

A light table requires the original to be a transparently of some sort, and
while it can be used with really dirty slides/etc, it doesn’t eliminate the need
to clean before proceeding.

A pro photog I know has a program to very rapidly go through his digital
take.. He can 'reject' a 100 photos per minute - and that program
completely erases them as if it never happened.

Working with legacy analog stuff hasn’t made it to digital yet ... plus it also
has the dilemma that it’s originator had kept it for some reason, even if it’s
not yet (if ever) known why.

-hh