best photo quality paper for digi prints

Old July 6th 04, 12:07 PM
Fred McKenzie

Default best photo quality paper for digi prints

best photo quality paper for digi prints
your opinion please?

TBM-

In spite of all the hyperbole about Epson, Kodak, et cetera, I find that the
house-brand "Premium High Gloss Photo Paper" from Office Depot, is as good as
any I've tried.

Of course it is for an inkjet printer. If you want glossy paper for a laser
printer, there are fewer choices. HP and Xerox are the only ones I've found,
and few stores carry them. In my opinion, glossy laser prints are not as nice
as those from inkjet printers.

Fred

Old July 6th 04, 12:36 PM
YoYo

It depends! what printer, what ink, where is the photo going to be
displayed. These all make a diffrence.

"tbm" wrote in message
your opinion please? many thanks, regards to all from TBM...

---

Old July 6th 04, 12:39 PM
tbm

Old July 6th 04, 12:50 PM
Ray Paseur

Try the Ilford Galerie papers - I've had very good results and seen little
fading in my prints. BTW, you'll find some tonal differences between gloss,
semi-gloss, pearl, and matte papers. It's worth experimenting. ~Ray

Old July 6th 04, 01:01 PM
Mark B.

"tbm" wrote in message
your opinion please? many thanks, regards to all from TBM...

Use paper from the same manufacturer as your printer. In my experience, the
paper is designed to work best with the OEM ink. I use Epson Premium
Semi-Gloss & Premium Luster on an 870, results are teriffic.

Mark

Old July 6th 04, 01:05 PM
Skip M

"tbm" wrote in message
your opinion please? many thanks, regards to all from TBM...

---

For glossy or pearl, I've gotten the best results from Ilford Gallerie
Classic. I have a friend who swears by all things Epson, I showed him a
print made on Gallerie Glossy on my Canon printer, and he was amazed. Very
good ink absorption, great tonality, and, supposedly, good longevity.
For matte (very, very matte!) I use Epson Heavyweight Matte, more of a
watercolor type paper, really.
This is on a Canon i9000s printer, your mileage may vary.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old July 6th 04, 01:52 PM
Joseph Meehan

tm wrote:
your opinion please? many thanks, regards to all from TBM...

---

Lot of "best" possible.

Different printers will have different best. Different inks may have
other "best." Some subjects may do best one gloss others matt. There are
many many factors.

While we may all agree that certain paper/ink/subject/use etc. may look
better with paper A than paper B, we may also all have different opinions
about what is best.

Photography has always been a blend of science and art. Best must
include both and therefore there can't be any one best, only the one YOU
like best.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old July 6th 04, 03:06 PM
Michael Meissner

"tbm" writes:

your opinion please? many thanks, regards to all from TBM...

My current favorite paper for use on my HP deskjet 6122 is the Ilford Classic
Pearl paper. My second favorite is probably Mediastreet G-chrome luster. For
matte papers, the two Epson mattes (Epson double sided matte, Epson heavy
weight matte) are both nice. For double sided papers, I used HP double sided
brouchure paper for making calendars last year.

--
Michael Meissner
email:
Old July 6th 04, 03:07 PM
Michael Meissner

"Mark B." writes:

"tbm" wrote in message
your opinion please? many thanks, regards to all from TBM...

Use paper from the same manufacturer as your printer. In my experience, the
paper is designed to work best with the OEM ink. I use Epson Premium
Semi-Gloss & Premium Luster on an 870, results are teriffic.

I dunno, I've tried HP papers on my HP deskjet 6122, and have been rather
underimpressed with them. I much prefer the Ilford Classic Pearl paper.

--
Michael Meissner
email:
Old July 6th 04, 04:38 PM
Mike G.

The Ilford papers always get good reviews, as they have in this thread.
Usually, they are available locally at photo shops, often other
places. Another line of paper that always gets good press in the
Photoshop newsgroups is from Red River Paper, available online. A
couple of nice features are 1) they sell sampler packs so you can try
many of their papers at a reasonable price, to see if anything fits your
needs, and 2) they have posted color profiles (*.icc) for most of their
papers if you use certain Epson or Canon printers, which is great if you
use a color management workflow.

http://www.redriverpaper.com/