digital photo formats Raw, Jpeg, and Tif

Old September 11th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
cathy

Default digital photo formats Raw, Jpeg, and Tif

Hi
I am thinking of buying a canon G6 camera and was wondering about the
different photo formats and in what kind of situations you would use
each. I was reading about White balance do you set that for each photo.
Thanks Cathy

Old September 11th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim

"cathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi
I am thinking of buying a canon G6 camera and was wondering about the
different photo formats and in what kind of situations you would use
each. I was reading about White balance do you set that for each photo.
Thanks Cathy

To a large extent, which one you use depends on what you wish to do with the
images:

RAW - lossless compression of the output of the sensor. Quick to download
Requires plugin for your photo editor and your camera. Most flexible
editing
JPEG - lossy compression results in small image size. A little slower to
download because the camera must demosaic the image and then compress.
Useful for email and web sites
TIFF - lossless or no compression. A little slower to download because
camera must demosaic the image. Useful if you decide the image needs lots
of editing

White balance - No, instead you set the white balance for every kind of
ambient light.

Jim

Old September 11th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On 10 Sep 2006 16:39:48 -0700, cathy wrote:

I am thinking of buying a canon G6 camera and was wondering about the
different photo formats and in what kind of situations you would use
each. I was reading about White balance do you set that for each photo.
Thanks Cathy

Many fans of Canon's G-series cameras have complained about the
long overdue release of a new version. Some have suggested that
Canon is phasing out the line. But a couple of days ago someone
posted a link to a commercial European website (Italian, IIRC) that
had a brief mention of a G7. If you have no immediate need, it
might be worth waiting a month or two to see if Canon really has a
G7 in the works, or if this was just a red herring.

As for White Balance, you don't normally set it for every shot.
You change it when the type of light you're shooting in changes.
You have several choices. Either set it to Auto WB and the camera
tries to make an educated guess, or you manually set the WB to match
the existing lighting. Some cameras have few options, some have
many. These might include Bright Sun, Overcast, Incandescent
Lighting, several fluorescent (such as Warm White, Cool White and
Daylight), and a custom WB that you set manually using a white or
gray card. More experienced photographers shoot in RAW mode, which
is more flexible, as the WB is assigned using photo software,
*after* the shot has been made, which avoids the occasional
disasters when photographers might accidentally shoot dozens or
hundreds of shots using the wrong white balance. The G6 has 7
preset WB settings, including 2 custom manual WB settings and also
allows you to shoot either RAW or JPEG files.

Old September 11th 06, 08:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marcin Gorgolewski

For proffesional use: RAW is best (you can always convert RAW into TIFF or
JPG).
If you only want to send photos from holidays by e-mail or print 10x15 (you
don't need more than jpg with 75-97% compression)

MG
www.mybestphotos.batcave.net

Uzytkownik "cathy" napisal w wiadomosci

Old September 11th 06, 09:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Randy Berbaum

Marcin Gorgolewski wrote:
: For proffesional use: RAW is best (you can always convert RAW into TIFF or
: JPG).
: If you only want to send photos from holidays by e-mail or print 10x15 (you
: don't need more than jpg with 75-97% compression)

I agree with the above. But I have a few slight additions. First most
cameras when using Jpeg then use a "quality" setting instead of a
percentage so the above mention of 75-97% compression would generally fall
in the "best" or whatever the largest quality setting is for that camera
brand.

And since the original OP asked about Tiff, this one was originally
designed as a no-loss compression technique specifically for scanners.
Many photo editing systems include Tiff in their list of compatable
formats. Few if any current cameras use Tiff tho most all do use Jpeg.
And most high end cameras have a "raw" setting but this setting is
specific to the "flavor" of raw from that particular manufacturer.

So I would expand the above descriptions as:
Raw is a camera specific format aimed at professional and "photophile"
individuals (kind of like an audiophile for photography) who are more
involved with precision than in ease of use. (Note, there is absolutely
nothing wrong with this desire.) Also many editing programs will read
(with proper camera specific decoders added) raw images, but few will then
store the results as raw images. So you will need to decide what other
format to use for long term storage. Also you will need some form of
decoder to display or print a stored raw image.

Jpeg is a "lossy" format that compresses the image data greatly so more
images can be stored in the same amount of memory. Depending on the
"quality" seting as to how small the image can be compressed, and inverse
to how much innacuracy of the compressed image when compaired to the
original data. For most casual hobbiest photoraphers, Jpeg is the most
popular format. Many of the people here will be somewhere in the gap
between casual hobbyist and professional and so many long "discussions" of
varying animosity have happened here on this debate. One thing most of us
can agree on, each time a jpeg image is recompressed (opened, maybe
edited, and resaved) additional innaccuracies will be introduced, so if
you wish to use Jpeg for the camera, and then jpeg for long term storage
so that storage is maximized, all operations inbetween (such as repeted
editing and resave operations) should use some non-lossy storage such as
Tiff, or the adobe format, so that no further inaccuracys in the data will
be added when not necissary.

Tiff files are somewhere inbetween raw and jpeg for storage size (in
general) and some newer versions seem to have a quality setting similar to
jpeg that could make it lossy like jpeg when anything less than 100% is
used. This is a good mid-edit storage format. Personally I don't use this
for long term storage.

Hope this expansion of descriptions is helpful.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Old September 15th 06, 10:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

Randy Berbaum wrote:

Marcin Gorgolewski wrote:
[...]

Hello, Randy:

Actually, several "super zoom" models feature TIFF capture; my Kodak
P850 (5.1MP, 12x optical) is among those.

edited, for brevity

Tiff files are somewhere inbetween raw and jpeg for storage size (in
general) and some newer versions seem to have a quality setting similar to
jpeg that could make it lossy like jpeg when anything less than 100% is
used. This is a good mid-edit storage format. Personally I don't use this
for long term storage.

Hope this expansion of descriptions is helpful.

Randy

Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Well, my (limited) experience with the P850's various shooting modes has
indicated otherwise. Its TIFF (.tif extension) files are considerably
larger than its RAW (.kdc) ones. The RAW's average around 9,000KB, but
the TIFF's are all exactly 14,821KB.

Cordially,
John Turco