Ghosting Problem

Old August 5th 04, 03:53 PM
Justin F. Knotzke

Default Ghosting Problem

quote who= McLeod /:

The problem is the fact that you have, in effect, two exposures. I
don't know whether you're shooting digital or slide or negative but
with positives the area of the sky is so overexposed there is no data
left anyway. Your flash exposure seems good and your ambient
exposure, at least for the street and trees is already underexposed.
Can you change your camera height? If you shot slightly down you
would have perfect results. Or change your point of aim so there is a
darker background behind your subjects. The lighter your background
is the more pronounced the ghosting effect will be.

Ya. I figured as much. Thanks for the reply. I have shot some pointing
downwards:

Not great shots, but as you can see, no major ghosting..

http://www.shampoo.ca/gallery/lachin...20_2004/image7
http://www.shampoo.ca/gallery/lachin...27_2004/image1

Same corner as where the ghosting image happened but pointing more where
the trees are.

http://www.shampoo.ca/gallery/lachin...27_2004/image7

Anyhow, this goes to prove your point that finding a dark background makes
all the difference.

Thanks for the reply,

Justin F. Knotzke

http://www.shampoo.ca
Old August 5th 04, 07:13 PM
Bill Tuthill

Justin F. Knotzke wrote:

http://www.shampoo.ca/gallery/lachin...20_2004/image7
http://www.shampoo.ca/gallery/lachin...27_2004/image1

Same corner as where the ghosting image happened but pointing more where
the trees are.

http://www.shampoo.ca/gallery/lachin...27_2004/image7

Anyhow, this goes to prove your point that finding a dark background makes
all the difference.

Is that the effect you were trying to achieve?

Another thing you could try is HSS (high speed sync) or FP as it is
sometimes called. Using a somewhat higher shutter speed, follow the
racers and get a blurred background to convey the impression of speed.

Old August 5th 04, 07:30 PM
Justin F. Knotzke

quote who= Bill Tuthill /:

Is that the effect you were trying to achieve?

Sadly, no. Thus the reason I made the post with the ghosting question.

Another thing you could try is HSS (high speed sync) or FP as it is
sometimes called. Using a somewhat higher shutter speed, follow the
racers and get a blurred background to convey the impression of speed.

Right:

http://www.shampoo.ca/gallery/Lachin...brando4?full=1

That's without a flash. I am trying to get the same blur/pan effect but
with fill flash to get their faces lit. In the above shot, I was very lucky to
get the glow of light. I don't get that very often and even less so that it's
getting darker.. So I like to use a bit of flash to fill in the shadows and
give me some contrast.

I am trying to mimic:

http://www.shampoo.ca/gallery/lachin.../image9?full=1

That's about the effect I am going for. As you can see by that shot, the
background are cars and not sky. I didn't realize that my problem in the
original shot:
http://www.shampoo.ca/gallery/lachin...image13?full=1 was the sky
until Alan and others so kindly pointed it out to me. I hopefully won't make
the same mistake again..

Same corner: http://www.shampoo.ca/gallery/lachin...7_2004/image12
but with the rider just in front of the trees..

Anyhow, thanks to all who have replied.

If I can, I will try and get a darker background. If not, I will expose
for the background, close the aperture by 1-2 stops and increase flash by 1.5
stops. I'll probably darken out some buildings and backgrounds but my subjects
should come out better and not look like Casper's cousins.

Justin F. Knotzke

http://www.shampoo.ca
Old August 6th 04, 01:43 PM
Alan Browne

Justin F. Knotzke wrote:

for the background, close the aperture by 1-2 stops and increase flash by 1.5
stops. I'll probably darken out some buildings and backgrounds but my subjects
should come out better and not look like Casper's cousins.

If you increase the flash you will whiten them out and kill any
color they are wearing... esp. on slide film.

Old August 6th 04, 02:54 PM
Justin F. Knotzke

quote who= Alan Browne /:
Justin F. Knotzke wrote:

for the background, close the aperture by 1-2 stops and increase flash by 1.5
stops. I'll probably darken out some buildings and backgrounds but my subjects
should come out better and not look like Casper's cousins.

If you increase the flash you will whiten them out and kill any
color they are wearing... esp. on slide film.

But wouldn't the descreased exposure compensate for that?

Justin F. Knotzke

http://www.shampoo.ca

Old August 6th 04, 03:34 PM
Alan Browne

Justin F. Knotzke wrote:

quote who= Alan Browne /:

Justin F. Knotzke wrote:

for the background, close the aperture by 1-2 stops and increase flash by 1.5
stops. I'll probably darken out some buildings and backgrounds but my subjects
should come out better and not look like Casper's cousins.

If you increase the flash you will whiten them out and kill any
color they are wearing... esp. on slide film.

But wouldn't the descreased exposure compensate for that?

As McLeod pointed out, you're really making a double exposure.
One for metered natural light, one for the flash. By setting the
aperture smaller you're choking the natural light, but the flash
system will _automatically_ increase the duration of the flash
for the amount of light coming back from the subject through the
smaller aperture.... (eg: it will stay on longer) and you'll over
expose the subject. (Again: you're #13 subject is well exposed).

You have to think of both exposures seperately and then find
where the aperture works for both exposures.

Old August 6th 04, 03:34 PM
Alan Browne

Justin F. Knotzke wrote:

quote who= Alan Browne /: