Help with compression research (Need sample images)

Old January 26th 07, 08:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sachin Garg

Default Help with compression research (Need sample images)

Hi,

I am a computer science researcher working on image compression
algorithms and need some large, high quality images to help with my
research.

Most of the images available online are JPEG'ed, but I need images
which were captured digitally and then saved without any loss, maybe as
RAW. (I checked the digital cameras with all my friends, but ouch! none
of them had raw saving options, only jpeg :-(

Data compression researchers have some famous (at least among us
researchers) image sets which were released by Kodak, Jpeg committee,
and some universities over the years but they are all very old to be
used for research now. For example, they are mostly 512x512 images
with 8-bit depth. Most modern cameras can capture *much* more detail
than this, and at 12 or even 16 bits per color.

I need around 50 RAW images taken from a wide-range of digital cameras,
saved as RAW with full quality, without any loss or editing. If some of
you can pool in a few images each, I will have the set ready :-)

I can't think of any way other than this to get around 50 full-quality
snaps from 10-20 'expensive' cameras.

(I guess most of you are professional or enthusiast photographers, and
each snap you have taken must be a piece of art for you. I don't need
any of your prized photographs, just about any good snaps will do.)

Thanks in anticipation.

Sachin Garg [India]
www.sachingarg.com | www.c10n.info

Old January 26th 07, 08:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Just D

You're happy because you're using gmail.com, it's 2-3 GBytes of email space
now, but anyway it's looking like committing a suicide if at least a few
people send you their images say 10 each one to your mail account then you
will be very happy downloading all them serialized into base64 (the mail
size will be increased say at ~30-50% because of attachment serialization)
or something...))) Although 50 RAW, 10 mpx each, times number of people
wanting to help you... pretty enough amount of info...)

Let me know if you get nothing in a few days to let me send my part if
pictures...) I guess content is not so important to avoid sending you some
unique shots? You just need a set of different pictures to play with them,
correct? And you can read RAW from your app. Btw, what about compressed RAW
producing by Nikon D80, can you read them? Have a source code? Can post it
to me?

Just D.

oups.com...

Old January 26th 07, 09:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sachin Garg

On Jan 26, 12:41 pm, "Just D" wrote:
You're happy because you're using gmail.com, it's 2-3 GBytes of email space
now, but anyway it's looking like committing a suicide if at least a few
people send you their images say 10 each one to your mail account then you
will be very happy downloading all them serialized into base64 (the mail
size will be increased say at ~30-50% because of attachment serialization)
or something...))) Although 50 RAW, 10 mpx each, times number of people
wanting to help you... pretty enough amount of info...)

I guess I will try to setup an upload facility at my homepage, till
then you guys can try emailing stuff. I hope gmail will handle it.

Let me know if you get nothing in a few days to let me send my part if
pictures...) I guess content is not so important to avoid sending you some
unique shots? You just need a set of different pictures to play with them,
correct?

Right, I don't need anything special. Just a bunch of images from
different cameras, saved without loss.

And you can read RAW from your app. Btw, what about compressed RAW
producing by Nikon D80, can you read them? Have a source code? Can post it
to me?

For proprietary RAW formats, I can maybe use Adobe's RAW-to-DNG
converter. Then I can handle DNG using opensource libtiff or just open
it in Photoshop to save it in some other basic format, like maybe PPM.

But am not very experienced with camera raw formats so if I face any
trouble, I can always come back to this forum :-)

Just D.

"Sachin Garg" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

Old January 26th 07, 09:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Barry Pearson

On Jan 26, 7:30 am, "Sachin Garg" wrote:
[snip]
I need around 50 RAW images taken from a wide-range of digital cameras,
saved as RAW with full quality, without any loss or editing. If some of
you can pool in a few images each, I will have the set ready :-)

I can't think of any way other than this to get around 50 full-quality
snaps from 10-20 'expensive' cameras.

[snip]

Here are some sources:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/...s/camtests.php
http://www.glasslantern.com/RAWpository/
http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/TEST_...AW/HORIZONTAL/

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.barrypearson.co.uk/photography/

Old January 26th 07, 12:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sachin Garg

On Jan 26, 1:49 pm, "Barry Pearson"
wrote:
On Jan 26, 7:30 am, "Sachin Garg" wrote:
[snip]
I need around 50 RAW images taken from a wide-range of digital cameras,
saved as RAW with full quality, without any loss or editing. If some of
you can pool in a few images each, I will have the set ready :-)

I can't think of any way other than this to get around 50 full-quality
snaps from 10-20 'expensive' cameras.

[snip]

Here are some sources:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/...s/camtests.php
http://www.glasslantern.com/RAWpository/
http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/TEST_...AW/HORIZONTAL/

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.barrypearson.co.uk/photography/

This looks like exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot :-)

While this solves my requirements, any more pointers/contributions are
still welcome.

Thanks again,

Old January 29th 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Repacholi

"Sachin Garg" writes:

While this solves my requirements, any more pointers/contributions are
still welcome.

Go to the Space Telescope archive, and find the FOC images sets of SN1987A,
4044 I think, but check. Down load them and have fun. They are the most
compression hostile images I've ever come across!
Old January 29th 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sachin Garg

On Jan 29, 7:23 pm, Paul Repacholi wrote:
"SachinGarg" writes:
While this solves my requirements, any more pointers/contributions are
still welcome.

Go to the Space Telescope archive, and find the FOC images sets of SN1987A,
4044 I think, but check. Down load them and have fun. They are the most
compression hostile images I've ever come across!

Hmmm, that will be interesting. While my immediate interest was to
focus on usual photographs, it won't hurt to see if there is a
breakthrough waiting to happen there ;-)

Or it will atleast help as as worst-case analysis.

Thanks

Old January 31st 07, 10:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sachin Garg

"SachinGarg" writes:
While this solves my requirements, any more pointers/contributions are
still welcome.

Go to the Space Telescope archive, and find the FOC images sets of SN1987A,
4044 I think, but check. Down load them and have fun. They are the most
compression hostile images I've ever come across!

I tried looking for this but lost my way big time :-)

Can you please guide me where exactly to go?

Old January 31st 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Repacholi

"SachinGarg" writes:
While this solves my requirements, any more pointers/contributions are
still welcome.

Go to the Space Telescope archive, and find the FOC images sets of SN1987A,
4044 I think, but check. Down load them and have fun. They are the most
compression hostile images I've ever come across!

I tried looking for this but lost my way big time :-)

Can you please guide me where exactly to go?

Not anymore! e-mail the help address for the archive. You want the
pre-costar set of SN1987A from the Faint Object Camera.

I think the data set ID is 4044, but don't bet on it.