ADVICE! Big Sur: Read this before upgrading

Old November 10th 20, 09:55 AM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,rec.photo.digital
David_B

Default ADVICE! Big Sur: Read this before upgrading

Please read this before upgrading to Big Sur!

This item is by H.Oakley

"Later today, you’ll be enthused by Apple’s event to upgrade your Mac to
Big Sur. While that may well be a great choice, before you do, please
take a careful read through the following articles here. They’ll spare
you a lot of frustration and maybe even having to reformat your internal
storage and re-install your previous system. Big Sur is wonderful and
ready to go, but don’t rush it.

Many experienced Mac users like to leave it a while before committing
their main, production Mac to a new version of macOS. This article looks
at some of the issues involved, with particular reference to Big Sur. If
you still want to be an early adopter, then this article gives practical
advice on what you should do to prepare for the upgrade."

Much more, he-
https://eclecticlight.co/2020/11/10/...ore-upgrading/

--

Comments welcomed!
Old November 10th 20, 02:57 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,rec.photo.digital
Calum[_2_]

On 10/11/2020 09:35, Snit wrote:

I am usually an early adopter but will likely wait at least a week to see
how it goes for others. I’ll check how the apps I use are likely to work.

I won’t be moving to Apple Silicon until at least the second year. Give
Apple time to work out bugs.

I'd wager there will be a lot more serious bugs in Big Sur in its first
year than there will be in (or related to) Apple Silicon.
Old November 10th 20, 08:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
Jaimie Vandenbergh[_2_]

On 10 Nov 2020 at 13:57:28 GMT, "Calum"
wrote:

On 10/11/2020 09:35, Snit wrote:

I am usually an early adopter but will likely wait at least a week to see
how it goes for others. I’ll check how the apps I use are likely to work.

I won’t be moving to Apple Silicon until at least the second year. Give
Apple time to work out bugs.

I'd wager there will be a lot more serious bugs in Big Sur in its first
year than there will be in (or related to) Apple Silicon.

I'll not bet against you. I've been on Big Sur for months. Apple are
better at silicon than .0 macOS releases.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
The weirder you're going to behave, the more normal you should look.
It works in reverse, too. When I see a kid with three or four

Old November 10th 20, 09:13 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.mac,rec.photo.digital
David_B

On 10/11/2020 09:35, Snit wrote:
David_B wrote:
[...]

I will try my very best to do likewise! ;-)

I won’t be moving to Apple Silicon until at least the second year. Give
Apple time to work out bugs.

There will have to be something special about a new iMac to tempt me to
change from THIS one (not yet three years old).

That assumes I don’t need a new machine. My wife’s old MacBook is having
issues and we may have to bite the bullet. It’s a 2010 model so not
surprised it is starting to have failures (track pad and USB are failing —
likely dying motherboard or maybe two separate components).

Can you get along with a conventional USB plug-in mouse? Have you
actually tried?!! ;-)

Old November 11th 20, 10:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
newshound

Default Apple ARM

wrote:

On 10/11/2020 09:35, Snit wrote:

I am usually an early adopter but will likely wait at least a week to see
how it goes for others. I’ll check how the apps I use are likely to work.

I won’t be moving to Apple Silicon until at least the second year. Give
Apple time to work out bugs.

I'd wager there will be a lot more serious bugs in Big Sur in its first
year than there will be in (or related to) Apple Silicon.

I'll not bet against you. I've been on Big Sur for months. Apple are
better at silicon than .0 macOS releases.

Cheers - Jaimie

Hope you are right about that, just ordered an Air with new silicon as a
christmas present for the wife :-)

She's very happy with her iPhone and always blames me when she can't
make any of "my" tech work (android, chromebook, windows).

It will be interesting to see how it compares with my 2015 MacBook Pro
(which is still very solid).
Old November 11th 20, 11:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
Arlen Holder

On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 21:02:51 +0000, newshound wrote:

It will be interesting to see how it compares with my 2015 MacBook Pro
(which is still very solid).

See these recent cites before purchasing the new TSMC Silicon ARM Macs:

o The new TSMC Silicon powered MacBook Pro can't use an eGPU (support for all non-Apple GPUs would be dropped)
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.mac.system/c/_jHTerfLHF8

o The new ARM technology TSMC Silicon powered MacBook Pro maxes out at 16GB of RAM & the M1 supports only 2 USB ports
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.mac.system/c/5QbTpwJFT-0

And these older cites which offer evidence of Apple's design "prowess"...
o (Almost ever Apple iPhone CPU ever made has unpatchable security holes.)

o Which Apple CPUs, bootroms, & SEP secure enclave coprocessors do NOT already have well-known unpatchable fatal design flaws?
https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/6WKS9KpSyJA/m/ycaYwqSsCQAJ

o Did Apple (yet again) fail in chip design (just like they did with modems) this time with graphics chips?
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.mac.system/c/Bz7wouZhKcU

o Yet another of the never-ending plethora of unpatchable security flaws in Apple's chips widely reported in the news today
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.mac.system/c/l9nwDIdIIkU/m/FxNf1USgAwAJ

o The 'Checkm8' exploit [IS] a big deal to iPhone or iPad users, and here's why
https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/cwlXKVyQfT4/m/m4AebjYSCwAJ

o Why zero day Android exploits cost far more than zero day iOS exploits (because iOS is far easier to hack)
https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/9koS-SuRqgw/m/yiTuI6b3BQAJ
etc.
--
This week:
"[Judge] Gonzalez Rogers told [Apple], You can't just say it - you

o Federal Judge Tosses Apple Counterclaims Against Fortnite Maker
https://www.courthousenews.com/judge-tosses-apple-counterclaims-against-fortnite-maker/
Old November 11th 20, 11:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
David_B

On 11/11/2020 21:02, newshound wrote:
Hope you are right about that, just ordered an Air with new silicon as a
Christmas present for the wife :-)

I've just done likewise! :-D

Are you expecting it to be delivered already loaded with Big Sur?

Old November 12th 20, 01:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-11-11 16:02, newshound wrote:

Hope you are right about that, just ordered an Air with new silicon as a
christmas present for the wife :-)

She's very happy with her iPhone and always blames me when she can't
make any of "my" tech work (android, chromebook, windows).

It will be interesting to see how it compares with my 2015 MacBook Pro
(which is still very solid).

I've been prevaricating over a new iMac. Tempting to get the i7 (8 full
cores) 2020 version this year or wait until the Mx version. After the
Apple presentation I'm very willing to wait.

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."
Old November 12th 20, 02:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
David_B

On 2020-11-11 16:02, newshound wrote:

Hope you are right about that, just ordered an Air with new silicon as
a christmas present for the wife :-)

She's very happy with her iPhone and always blames me when she can't
make any of "my" tech work (android, chromebook, windows).

It will be interesting to see how it compares with my 2015 MacBook Pro
(which is still very solid).

I've been prevaricating over a new iMac.Â* Tempting to get the i7 (8 full
cores) 2020 version this year or wait until the Mx version.Â* After the
Apple presentation I'm very willing to wait.

Are you unable to upgrade from Mac OS X 10.14 ?

I'd would certainly wait for a while before buying a new machine.....
an iMac I mean - I've just bought a new MacBook Air today!

13-inch MacBook Air - Space Grey
With the following configuration:
Apple M1 chip with 8‑core CPU and 7‑core GPU
16-core Neural Engine
8GB unified memory
256GB SSD storage
Retina display with True Tone
Backlit Magic Keyboard - British
Touch ID
Force Touch trackpad
Two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports
Accessory Kit
£999.00
Old November 12th 20, 10:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
David_B

On 2020-11-11 16:02, newshound wrote:

Hope you are right about that, just ordered an Air with new silicon as
a christmas present for the wife :-)

She's very happy with her iPhone and always blames me when she can't
make any of "my" tech work (android, chromebook, windows).

It will be interesting to see how it compares with my 2015 MacBook Pro
(which is still very solid).

I've been prevaricating over a new iMac.Â* Tempting to get the i7 (8 full
cores) 2020 version this year or wait until the Mx version.Â* After the
Apple presentation I'm very willing to wait.

Have you watched here?

https://www.apple.com/uk/macbook-air/

I was captivated! :-)