FZ22/30 Dilemma

Old April 1st 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default FZ22/30 Dilemma

I was 1-click from ordering the FZ30 at BH but wanted to double check
the pana web site support area...then I read about the new TZ1,I had
to read the discription several time's since I couldn't believe it was
almost mirroring the specs of panasonics highly rated FZ22/30 series
only with a smaller footprint. I think the T in the TZ means Traveler
which seems quite appropriate but this ain't your mom's pocket camera
by a long shot..no pun intended.

To all the F22/30 lucky users,the TZ1 seems to have adopted all your
goodies plus made it even more portable and with hi-res 2.5 LCD like
the better D-SLRs. If I purchase,what will I be missing that the F30
has?

Old April 1st 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 1 Apr 2006 11:01:47 -0800, maestro wrote:
I was 1-click from ordering the FZ30 at BH but wanted to double check
the pana web site support area...then I read about the new TZ1,I had
to read the discription several time's since I couldn't believe it was
almost mirroring the specs of panasonics highly rated FZ22/30 series
only with a smaller footprint. I think the T in the TZ means Traveler
which seems quite appropriate but this ain't your mom's pocket camera
by a long shot..no pun intended.

To all the F22/30 lucky users,the TZ1 seems to have adopted all your
goodies plus made it even more portable and with hi-res 2.5 LCD like
the better D-SLRs. If I purchase,what will I be missing that the F30
has?

First off, you should be comparing the TZ1 to the FZ5/7 not the 20/30.
The bigger cameras have a bunch of extra features like a flash hot shoe,
zoom and focus rings on the lens (FZ30) and a higher pixel-count
sensor (FZ30).

That said, the TZ1 lacks a couple of things compared to the FZ series.
There don't seem to be any manual controls, so if you care about
manually setting the aperture, shutter speed, or focus, you'll need the
higher-end camera. It's a slighlty less powerful zoom lens, and the lens
is noticeably slower (smaller aperture) (f/4.2 for the TZ1, f/3.3 for
the FZ5/7). There's no viewfinder, vs. the electronic viewfinder on the
FZ series.

The flip side is that the TZ1 is cheaper than the FZ7 and quite a bit
smaller/lighter.

-dms
Old April 2nd 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Daniel Silevitch wrote:
First off, you should be comparing the TZ1 to the FZ5/7 not the 20/30.
The bigger cameras have a bunch of extra features like a flash hot shoe,
zoom and focus rings on the lens (FZ30) and a higher pixel-count
sensor (FZ30).

That said, the TZ1 lacks a couple of things compared to the FZ series.
There don't seem to be any manual controls, so if you care about
manually setting the aperture, shutter speed, or focus, you'll need the
higher-end camera. It's a slighlty less powerful zoom lens, and the lens
is noticeably slower (smaller aperture) (f/4.2 for the TZ1, f/3.3 for
the FZ5/7). There's no viewfinder, vs. the electronic viewfinder on the
FZ series.

The above was the argument for the FZ30 in the first place *except* the
TZ1 is more portable,the above attributes is what makes the FZ30 almost
D-dSLR-like but larger and less portable though certainly a richer
camera. I agree,it was a streach to compare with
the more pro fz30

The flip side is that the TZ1 is cheaper than the FZ7 and quite a bit
smaller/lighter.

It was the options like world-time-calender/history,leading edge venus
III engine/motherboard which amoungst other things allows recording up
to ISO 800 in full resolution and other advantages, also OIS mode1 and
especially 2..an impressive list for a camera in any league but
especially in this size. A mini-review gushed it will be one of
Panasonics crown jewels,I suspicions it may.

Old April 4th 06, 10:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

maestro wrote:
I was 1-click from ordering the FZ30 at BH but wanted to double check
the pana web site support area...then I read about the new TZ1,I had
to read the discription several time's since I couldn't believe it was
almost mirroring the specs of panasonics highly rated FZ22/30 series
only with a smaller footprint. I think the T in the TZ means Traveler
which seems quite appropriate but this ain't your mom's pocket camera
by a long shot..no pun intended.

To all the F22/30 lucky users,the TZ1 seems to have adopted all your
goodies plus made it even more portable and with hi-res 2.5 LCD like
the better D-SLRs. If I purchase,what will I be missing that the F30
has?

I agree with what was said by other posters. I'm an owner of FZ30 and
must say that the swirly LCD is priceless. My friend who i go and take
pictures with has a Fuji e550, a very capable camera in it's own right,
always has problem getting a good a angle when compositing his shots.
With FZ30 LCD you get great freedom. And EVF is great too that can save
some battery life. Another feature that Fuji e550 is missing. There are
other models in FZ range that be looked at, like FZ5.