DSLR, Smaller Sensor, Smaller TTL Viewfinder? Which has the largest?

Old August 15th 04, 02:51 AM
Geshu Iam

Default DSLR, Smaller Sensor, Smaller TTL Viewfinder? Which has the largest?

Just compared Kodak's 14n/n, Fujifilm S2, and Nikon D70. I didn't pay
attention to check it but it seems the larger the image sensor, the
larger the image in the TTL viewfinder.

Yes, of course, since they are retro-fit to the originally fixed size
image, and what shown in the DSLR is essentially the cropped-down.

Just curious, is this true for all DSLRs? Any DSLR has the dedicated
TTL viewfinder so that there is no need to suffer this cropped-down
TTL VF image? What about Olympus? Anything (other than Kodak-14n) has
the TTL feel like a real 35mm SLR?
Old August 15th 04, 02:56 AM
[BnH]

err .. you were looking at all F80 and F75 body which is Nikon prosumer
range body.

Have a look at D1 or D2 family.

=bob=

"Geshu Iam" wrote in message
om...
Just compared Kodak's 14n/n, Fujifilm S2, and Nikon D70. I didn't pay
attention to check it but it seems the larger the image sensor, the
larger the image in the TTL viewfinder.

Yes, of course, since they are retro-fit to the originally fixed size
image, and what shown in the DSLR is essentially the cropped-down.

Just curious, is this true for all DSLRs? Any DSLR has the dedicated
TTL viewfinder so that there is no need to suffer this cropped-down
TTL VF image? What about Olympus? Anything (other than Kodak-14n) has
the TTL feel like a real 35mm SLR?

---

Old August 15th 04, 11:11 AM
Roland Karlsson

"[BnH]" b18[at]ii[dot]net wrote in news:411ec2c7$0$16342$5a62ac22@per-
qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au:

err .. you were looking at all F80 and F75 body which is Nikon prosumer
range body.

Have a look at D1 or D2 family.

Here is a list that I compiled earlier. It is sorted in
order of decreasing apperent view finder size (last column).
The Kodak cameras and the Canon 1Ds are typical for film
cameras. All other are smaller, some much smaller. The Sigma
are only 1/3 of the area.

Camera Sensor View.Magn. Scaling. Equiv. Magn. %Area
Kodak DCS 14n (Nikon F80) 36,0 0,75 1,00 0,750 100,0
Kodak SLR/n (Nikon F80) 36,0 0,75 1,00 0,750 100,0
Canon EOS 1Ds 36,0 0.70 1,00 0,700 87,1
Pentax *istD 23,5 0,95 1,53 0,620 68,4
Canon EOS 1D MK II 28,7 0,72 1,25 0,574 58,6
Nikon D2H 23,3 0,86 1,55 0,557 55,1
Canon EOS 10D 22,7 0,88 1,59 0,555 54,7
Canon EOS 300D 22,7 0,88 1,59 0,555 54,7
Nikon D1 23,7 0,80 1,52 0,527 49,3
Nikon D100 23,7 0,80 1,52 0,527 49,3
Nikon D1H 23,7 0,80 1,52 0,527 49,3
Nikon D1X 23,7 0,80 1,52 0,527 49,3
Nikon D70 23,7 0,75 1,52 0,494 43,3
Olympus E1 18,0 0,96 2,00 0,480 41,0
Fujifilm S2 (Nikon F80) 23,0 0,75 1,57 0,479 40,8
Fujifilm S3 (Nikon F80) 23,0 0,75 1,57 0,479 40,8
Sigma SD10 20,7 0,77 1,74 0,443 34,8
Sigma SD9 20,7 0,77 1,74 0,443 34,8

The columns a
* Camera
* Sensor size (taken from datasheet)
* View magnification with 50 mm lens (taken from datasheet)
- For Fujifilm and Kodak I have assumed that the finder is
the same as in F80. I could not find any other info.
* Scaling/cropping relative to 35 mm full frame (computed)
* Equivalent magnification, taking scaling into account (computed)
* Percentage of apparent area relative to Kodak cameras.

If you find any faults in tha table - please tell me.

/Roland

Old August 16th 04, 12:53 PM
Georgette Preddy

Roland Karlsson wrote in message ...
"[BnH]" b18[at]ii[dot]net wrote in news:411ec2c7$0$16342$5a62ac22@per-
qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au:

err .. you were looking at all F80 and F75 body which is Nikon prosumer
range body.

Have a look at D1 or D2 family.

Here is a list that I compiled earlier. It is sorted in
order of decreasing apperent view finder size (last column).
The Kodak cameras and the Canon 1Ds are typical for film
cameras. All other are smaller, some much smaller. The Sigma
are only 1/3 of the area.

That's interesting since Sigma uses the exact same viewfinder used on
their SA9 film camera, in the SD9 and SD10. Are you suggesting you
can only see 1/3rd of the picture in all of them?

The two Sigmas have by far the widest viewfinder of any cropping DSLR,
which is why they call it a sportsfinder instead of a viewfinder. A
sportsfinder is a huge advantage over all the other croppers, which
only have very tiny viewfinders.