Dark Slides Don't fit

Old January 14th 04, 04:33 PM
Ken Smith

Default Dark Slides Don't fit

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message ink.net...
"Ken Smith" wrote

Well I screwed up AGAIN. Bought a dozen dark slides for 8x10 holders
that are too thick, too wide, and too short. What do these things fit?

X-Ray film holders, at a guess.

So then, are X-ray film holders normal film friendly, available?
Old January 14th 04, 04:52 PM
jjs

"Ken Smith" wrote in message
om...
"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message

ink.net...
"Ken Smith" wrote

Well I screwed up AGAIN. Bought a dozen dark slides for 8x10 holders
that are too thick, too wide, and too short. What do these things fit?

X-Ray film holders, at a guess.

So then, are X-ray film holders normal film friendly, available?

No. Totally different dimensions.

Old January 14th 04, 06:58 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Ken Smith" wrote
"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote
"Ken Smith" wrote

Well I screwed up AGAIN. Bought a dozen dark slides for 8x10 holders
that are too thick, too wide, and too short. What do these things fit?

X-Ray film holders, at a guess.

So then, are X-ray film holders normal film friendly, available?

If you have an X-Ray machine they fit great. And X-Ray film just
slides right in - nice rounded corners and all. I have never
tried loading photographic 8x10 into an X-Ray holder, it may fit.
Richard Knoppow is the man to ask.

If you are lucky the holders and slides may even come with a glo-
in-the-dark (intensifying the effect of the X-Rays, being the
purpose) phosphor coating.

At a guess there are more X-Ray holders around than photographic
holders. As they get rough use, the holders wear out before the
darkslides.

I have heard, though, that 11x14 X-Ray and photographic holders
are interchangeable - just make sure X-Ray ones are not 'intensifying'.

Advice worth amount charged.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Old January 14th 04, 07:21 PM
jjs

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message
nk.net...
"Ken Smith" wrote
"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote
"Ken Smith" wrote

Well I screwed up AGAIN. Bought a dozen dark slides for 8x10 holders
that are too thick, too wide, and too short. What do these things

fit?
X-Ray film holders, at a guess.

So then, are X-ray film holders normal film friendly, available?

If you have an X-Ray machine they fit great. And X-Ray film just
slides right in - nice rounded corners and all. I have never
tried loading photographic 8x10 into an X-Ray holder, it may fit.
Richard Knoppow is the man to ask.

I am almost certain that 8x10 x-ray holders do not follow the ISO standards
for 8x10 camera holders.

Advice worth amount charged.

Same here.

Old January 14th 04, 08:22 PM
Jim Hemenway

Two of my 11x14 film holders are X-Ray. I've had no trouble loading
Ektachrome 100 into them.

Jim - http://www.hemenway.com

Old January 14th 04, 10:02 PM
jjs

"Jim Hemenway" wrote in message
Two of my 11x14 film holders are X-Ray. I've had no trouble loading
Ektachrome 100 into them.

Jim - http://www.hemenway.com

the film in the holder. It has to relate to the standard positioning of the
ground glass - if one cares to focus. Maybe the x-ray holder is the same, or
people don't focus. I see no reason in the world that an XRay film holder
has to satisfy the depth dimentions of a camera film holder.

Old January 15th 04, 01:13 AM
sympatico.ca

"Ken Smith" wrote in message
om...
Well I screwed up AGAIN. Bought a dozen dark slides for 8x10 holders
that are too thick, too wide, and too short. What do these things fit?
Lisco/Fidelity is what I needed. What is this, and does anyone have
any slideless holders of this type for cheap, I wish. Jeeze McKnees.

There also doens't really seem to have been any kind of standard as to the
holder slide size - I have several different bands of 8x10 holders and most
of the slides AREN'T interchangeable. Even for some of the, among defferent
(oder/newer) models of Fidelity holders.

There is quite a variation in the actual dimesnions among them. Especially,
but not only, thickness

Old January 15th 04, 01:14 AM
sympatico.ca

"Jim Hemenway" wrote in message
Two of my 11x14 film holders are X-Ray. I've had no trouble loading
Ektachrome 100 into them.

Jim - http://www.hemenway.com

the film in the holder. It has to relate to the standard positioning of

the
ground glass - if one cares to focus. Maybe the x-ray holder is the same,

or
people don't focus. I see no reason in the world that an XRay film holder
has to satisfy the depth dimentions of a camera film holder.

Jim - now you see whay you are getting all those out of focus shots...!
Right

Old January 15th 04, 06:15 AM
Jim Hemenway

Default Was Dark Slides Don't fit, now focus with X-Ray holders

Out of focus? :-)

http://www.hemenway.com/CharlesRiverProtar590.jpg
http://www.hemenway.com/USS-Salem-Schneider360.jpg

Jim - http://www.hemenway.com

Old January 15th 04, 03:53 PM
jjs

"Jim Hemenway" wrote in message
Out of focus? :-)

http://www.hemenway.com/CharlesRiverProtar590.jpg
http://www.hemenway.com/USS-Salem-Schneider360.jpg

Yes, out of focus! Look across the river at the mite on the mouse's left
toe. I can hardly make out its eyes!

Now y'all who think LF is wasted on the web just look at that image. S u p e
r i o r quality.