Digital Photo Frames?

Old October 5th 07, 07:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Girish Kulkarni

Default Digital Photo Frames?

On Oct 4, 10:10 pm, Charles wrote:
Is there a chance you can see the one you have selected while it is
working before you buy it?

That's the problem, Charles! In the few nearby stores that I checked,
this thing isn't available so I'm going to have to buy it over the
Internet. But thanks for sharing your experience; it is going to
help.

--
Girish Kulkarni - Allahabad, India - http://girish.50webs.com

Old October 5th 07, 07:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Girish Kulkarni

On Oct 4, 10:24 pm, wrote:
However, I would recommend to wait another year until it is cheaper,
or you can get the notebook size screen for the the same price.
Unless,,... if you want to impress others in countries where it will
be another few years before it becomes mass produced product.

Thanks! But the thing is supposed to be a farewell gift for a friend
who is leaving in another month. So I guess this is a hard decision to
make.

7 in. screen (diagonal) is a little to small, even to place it in my
living room. It should have at least an 8x10 or even 11x17in size
screen. Perhaps it will be perfected in a few years with OLED
technology? I used programmable electric plug in so that you can turn
it off in the evening, if you what to keep it running during the day
or a portion thereof.

Yeah, I agree. I think I should also see how the Philips and Kodak
models are like.

--
Girish Kulkarni - Allahabad, India - http://girish.50webs.com

Old October 5th 07, 09:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Girish Kulkarni wrote:
I've been looking for something that I could present a photographer
friend of mine as a gift on an important occasion that is coming up
and stumbled upon this "digital photo frame."

http://www.wesproindia.com/digitalframe.htm

It is a 7" LCD display-with slots for memory cards and USB devices,
and eight control knobs-that could be kept on a desk or hung on a
wall. I haven't ever actually seen this thing before but a review on
the Internet said this was a pretty attractive product, except for its
two drawbacks: it doesn't have an internal memory, and it doesn't have
any batteries!

Has anyone here used such a thing before? Will be interested in having
some suggestions.

--
Girish Kulkarni - Allahabad, India - http://girish.50webs.com

I have such a digital picture frame, and aside from some problems with
the backlight level washing out some pictures with inadequate contrast,
and very low resolution, it is a nice product. My only real complaint
is that when it is shut off, it loses all my settings, and I have to
push buttons for about 5 minutes to get it reset to my preferences. I
have had it for about 10 months, and have over 400 photos displaying
continuously 24/7 and it continues to work well.
I do recommend the ones with 800x600 resolution, and remote control, if
you can afford that.
Old October 5th 07, 09:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Marcin wrote:
I'm not sure if 16:9 LCD will be good to preview 3:2 or 4:3 photos!

Best wishes
Marcin
www.gorgolewski.com

Uzytkownik "Girish Kulkarni" napisal w wiadomosci
ups.com...
I've been looking for something that I could present a photographer
friend of mine as a gift on an important occasion that is coming up
and stumbled upon this "digital photo frame."

http://www.wesproindia.com/digitalframe.htm

It is a 7" LCD display-with slots for memory cards and USB devices,
and eight control knobs-that could be kept on a desk or hung on a
wall. I haven't ever actually seen this thing before but a review on
the Internet said this was a pretty attractive product, except for its
two drawbacks: it doesn't have an internal memory, and it doesn't have
any batteries!

Has anyone here used such a thing before? Will be interested in having
some suggestions.

--
Girish Kulkarni - Allahabad, India - http://girish.50webs.com

You can either crop them, or it will distort, them. Mine has a 4:3 setting.
Old October 5th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 05:59:46 +0000, Girish Kulkarni wrote:

On Oct 4, 9:35 pm, ray wrote:
Got the wife a Royal 8" unit for Christmas last year - it's pretty damned
cool. Operation is via a remote control unit. We're satisfied with what it
produces.

Thanks, ray! What was the make of you unit? The one I pointed to also
has remote control. I'd like to know the resolution of your display
too.

Royal PF80. Could not find any resolution info - possibly 800x600 - just a
guess.

Old October 5th 07, 08:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allan Sheppard

HI,
Look up 'photo frames' on the B&H site.
They list 99 items, one I looked at in detail was 1024 x 768 in a 15"
frame.

Cheers,
Allan

Old October 7th 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scubabix

These things are pretty common in stores around here (USA). Nice but a
little pricey for what they do.

They seem fairly attractive little luxuries for people who like family
photos on their desks. I wonder how long it would be before the novelty
wore off? My daughter did think of one for her husband but finally decided
otherwise so I've no experience to go on.

--
Jim Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

I just purchased one for my wife's business. She custom designs labels and
other craft items. I was able to upload photos of a wide variety of her
designs to place on the table at her shop or craft shows to help potential
customers actually see what she does instead of having to either show them
her computer screen or carry books of photos.
Rob
Jacksonville, FL

Old October 10th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stewy

In article . com,
Girish Kulkarni wrote:

On Oct 4, 9:33 pm, Stewy wrote:
The website doesn't indicate the resolution of the screen - this is the
most important point when choosing a photoframe.

Thanks Stewy. Yeah, I should check that I think. The problem is that I
haven't been able to find this thing in any of the stores around me.
The plan was to purchase it from the Internet. But then that means I
can't hold it in my hands and check before I buy! The resolution is
probably 640*480 (according to a guy on Ebay who is selling the same
thing.)

--
Girish Kulkarni - Allahabad, India - http://girish.50webs.com

There are a few here in Japan.

Check out the Dream maker http://www.dream-maker.co.jp/index.html

The site is in Japanese but will load properly on a Mac - PC users may
have severe problems.
Old October 10th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkW

Pay attention to both the aspect ratio and the resolution. The low-
res, 16:9 frames I've seen aren't very good, especially for 4:3
digital photos. We bought 8" frames with a 4:3 aspect ratio and
800x600 for both my mother and mother-in-law. The image quality is
quite impressive. Neither are computer users, so a screen saver
wasn't an alternative. This is the model:

http://www.amazon.com/Matsunichi-PF-.../dp/B000OIWVXW

The cherry-wood frame is pretty nice also. The speakers are chintzy
and it doesn't handle DV res video well at all, but for still images,
it's very good. No batteries -- it has a DC adapter, but for leaving
on a desk or shelf, I consider that an advantage.

Old October 11th 07, 09:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Stewy wrote:
In article . com,
Girish Kulkarni wrote:

On Oct 4, 9:33 pm, Stewy wrote:
The website doesn't indicate the resolution of the screen - this is the
most important point when choosing a photoframe.

Thanks Stewy. Yeah, I should check that I think. The problem is that I
haven't been able to find this thing in any of the stores around me.
The plan was to purchase it from the Internet. But then that means I
can't hold it in my hands and check before I buy! The resolution is
probably 640*480 (according to a guy on Ebay who is selling the same
thing.)

--
Girish Kulkarni - Allahabad, India - http://girish.50webs.com

There are a few here in Japan.

Check out the Dream maker http://www.dream-maker.co.jp/index.html

The site is in Japanese but will load properly on a Mac - PC users may
have severe problems.

I had no problem with loading this page (PC with Firefox), even though
it came in a bit slowly.