About Fuji GSW690 and GX680

Old November 2nd 04, 05:02 PM
Fernando

Default About Fuji GSW690 and GX680

Given that film is dead , I was thinking about expanding my MF
arsenal (that already counts various PentaconSix / Kiev60 bodies,
lenses, accessories, and a good Pentax 645 system) with some larger
gear. :-)
My filmscanner reads up to 6x9cm, so I was considering either the Fuji
GSW-690 (the RF with 65/5.6 ultrawide lens) or the GX 680 bellow SLR.
I know, they're such different cameras; but before heading to one
direction, I'd like to know more about them.
Expecially the non-obvious stuff: peculiar weaknesses and/or strong
points, things to be warned about when buying used, differences
between various series, and so on. :-)

My main use would be landscape shots, with some cityscapes as well.
Portability is not my primary concern of course, or I've had ruled out
the GX 680. :-)

Come on guys, let me know! :-)

Thanks,

Fernando
Old November 2nd 04, 10:05 PM
LR Kalajainen

Depends how mobile you want to be. Don't think of the GX680 as a field
camera unless you have two small boys and a donkey as beasts of burden
to assist you.

While I don't own the GSW690, I do own it's fraternal twin the GS670.
It's light (relative, say, to a Pentax 6X7), rugged, reliable, and has a
fantastic lens. The lens on the 690 is equally fantastic. And the
price is right--- used ones go typically for about $600 in really good
condition. For a camera that will go anywhere and give you a big neg,
it's great. Even hiking with a lightweight tripod and the Fuji will not
overload you. True, you don't get interchangeable lenses, but I find I
can make do with one lens just fine for about 85% of my shots. As Ernst
Haas once said, "The best zoom is your legs."

Old November 2nd 04, 11:35 PM
RSD99

By all of the accounts that I've read, the Fuji Medium Format equipment is
"excelent stuff."

However ... you had better do it quickly ... I received a posting on a
newslist today regarding Fuji's exiting the Medium Format camera
marketplace. The text is copied below ... followed by a couple of URLs you
can check if you want additional information.

[The GX617 has been on the 'Esoteric' page of my WANT List ... for a long
time.]

= = = = =

Fujifilm's medium exit

Last week's prediction in BJP that just two or three companies will
continue to serve the medium format market is a step nearer reality with
the news that Fujifilm has ceased production of its cameras

The admission came from Richard Linney of Fujifilm UK, recently appointed
as product manager of the newly formed Photo Imaging Group, in which the
company's professional and consumer units will now operate.

While confirming that the company has stopped manufacturing medium format
bodies, Linney said that Fujifilm is still making accessories for the GX617
and GX680 and still has stock of these models available for retail.

He added: 'The factory in Japan can still manufacture these models if there
is a large enough order.'

He was keen, however, to state that the company will be able to deal with
reburbishes of all models saying: 'We have been led to believe by Japan
that they will service the medium format range and make repairs', adding
that this may continue for seven to 10 years.

This move will be of little surprise to many as rumours have been
circulating about the demise of Fujifilm's medium format range since March
last year, when a Fujifilm spokesman admitted to BJP that it was likely
that the GA645zi, the GW670 and GW690/GSW690 models would be discontinued.

Graham Rutherford, who is shortly to retire from his position as Fujifilm's
director of professional imaging in the UK, responded at the time saying
that no decision had been made about the future of the range. He did say
though that some countries had decided to stop selling the cameras.

He added that the UK market remained healthy and hoped that plans to phase
them out would therefore be reversed. Instead, production continued to be
scaled down as Fujifilm staggered the termination of different models.

Medium format news

from editor in chief at Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 15:05

During and after photokina some things happened in the medium format
sector, too. Short summary: There are new cameras, but new flops as well:

ALPA widened its accessories for the ALPA 12 with some fine lenses and
mo see New lenses and accessories for the ALPA 12.

Bronica: Tamron (which bought Zenza-Bronica) informed about the fact that
the whole range of medium format SLRs will be discontinued as of October
31, 2004. Depending on local laws in the different countries repair service
will continue for a given time: In the States for example repair service
for all warranty and out-of-warranty repair service obligations will
continue for seven years until October 31, 2011.
The Bronica RF645 range finder medium format camera will continue to be
distributed,
In the future, Bronica will "dedicate even more resources to developing
optics for the digital age, particularly those for digital SLR cameras,
currently the fastest growing segment of camera products according to
industry analysts".

Contax: No news. They are not very engaged in the medium format sector any
more, seemingly.

Hasselblad announced the H1D, basically a H1 with integrated digital back
(22 megapixels) and improved communication between body and back.
Latest rumours assume discontinuance of the 200 series (read at
MacGuardians). Further information at Hasselblad.

Mamiya introduced a digital medium format camera: see Mamiya ZD and Mamiya
ZD Back.

Pentax Germany recently updated its price list for consumers and the whole
medium format equipment is still available: Pentax D price list.

Rollei is selling its analogue medium format cameras still quite well,
especially in South East Asia: see Interviewing Rollei.

WICA: The sturdy and well thought-out WICA is available. See The WICA.

(thoMas)

= = = = =
http://db.riskwaters.com/public/show...ml?page=195980

http://www.photoscala.com/node/view/417

Old November 3rd 04, 12:15 AM
LR Kalajainen

Sad news. I have three Fuji rangefinders-- the GS645S, the GA645zi, and
the GS670. Wouldn't trade them. The GS645S (60 mm lens) is simple and
indestructible. After ripping the shutter unit off the front of the
lens when the camera dropped from my shoulder into whirling bicycle
spokes, I was able to repair it myself with a pair of tweezers and
jeweler's screwdriver set. It's still working good as new. It banged
around Europe with me for a decade, and is still going strong.
Fantastic lens, as does its fancier zoom sibling, and its larger
cousin. Apart from my Rollei SL66, there are no cameras I'd rather
shoot with.

Never could understand why they didn't sell millions more of them.
Nothing fancy, just great performance, and great glass. I've done
16X20's of negs made with the 645 with Delta 400 film that are sharp and
very fine-grained. What more could one expect from a simple machine.

Old November 3rd 04, 01:32 PM
RSD99

"Stacey" posted:
"...
A really stupid "B" setting, they call it "T". When you trip the shutter,
it stays open until you either move the speed ring or recock the shutter so
you basically have to use a lens cap to close the shutter.
...."

That's (IMHO) not "really stupid" when you realize that it is the "Time"
setting, for long exposures.

The first time you trip it, it opens the shutter.

The second time you trip it, it closes the shutter.

IMHO: It works a *lot* better than the "B" setting, which you have to keep
the cable release pressed for the total duration of your exposure ...
especially if you are trying to make something like a two minute (120
second) night exposure.

Old November 3rd 04, 06:27 PM
Stacey

Fernando wrote:

Given that film is dead , I was thinking about expanding my MF
arsenal (that already counts various PentaconSix / Kiev60 bodies,
lenses, accessories, and a good Pentax 645 system) with some larger
gear. :-)
My filmscanner reads up to 6x9cm, so I was considering either the Fuji
GSW-690 (the RF with 65/5.6 ultrawide lens)

I owned one of these and the lens is fantastic.

The weak point a

A really stupid "B" setting, they call it "T". When you trip the shutter, it
stays open until you either move the speed ring or recock the shutter so
you basically have to use a lens cap to close the shutter.

It has a noisy shutter, not a lot of vibration but makes a loud -clunk- that
I've never heard a leaf shutter make.

It has a fairly small rangefinder spot, I ussually ended up scale focusing.

The lens intrudes into the viewfinder due to it's wide angle and also has
some distortion that the lens doesn't have.

Did I say the lens and it's coating are fantastic?

I ended up selling mine mainly because I got bored with the angle of view. I
think the 90mm version might be more useful?
--

Stacey