camera recommendation?

Old March 19th 11, 05:39 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Tony Cooper

Default camera recommendation?

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 21:33:34 -0700 (PDT), RichD
wrote:

I'm in the market for a portable digital camera.
My cell phone doesn't have one.

The motive is for emergency type circumstances;
like, someone is prowling near my car, I want a
photo for the police. Or whatever.

it will not be used for quality pics, they won't
be framed or even printed. The primary specs
are size, convenience, and speed. A shirt
pocket camera. I want to whip it out and shoot.

Thus:
* resolution: low is acceptable, unless megapixels
are free
* video: not necessary, if it adds bulk or
complexity, as I just want documentary pics.
* USB port
* wireless connection not needed
* battery life: not important
* auto-focus: helpful, maybe necessary. But
I always want manual focus override on any camera.
* flash: yes. And good low light performance for dusk.
* zoom: desirable, for face close-ups etc.
* screen preview: not necessary, through the lens
should work, if it cuts size.

Which one fits the bill?

What about those no-name cameras
I see at Walgreens for $30?

Given what you want to do with it, any point-and-shoot camera will
work. Except for the manual focus, that is. If that's available, it
would only be on the higher priced cameras and would add to the bulk.
All of them will have screen preview, and that is through the lens.

Your best bet is to go any "big box" retailer and pick out a
recognizable name-brand camera that feels right in your hand and fits
your size requirement. Watch for sales. Expect to spend $60 to $100.

If you have to buy online, pick the cheapest Nikon or Canon.

The only feature you should look for is a camera that uses standard AA
batteries.

There isn't a hell of lot of difference between name brand point and
shoots in the lower price range.

Avoid the Walgreen's cameras you describe.

Another thought, though, is a disposable film camera. You can pick
one up for around $10. If your intent is to have one for emergency
use only, a disposable film camera would document an accident or
vandalism. I keep on in my car and one in my wife's car.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old March 19th 11, 05:48 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
N[_9_]

On 19/03/2011, tony cooper wrote:

Another thought, though, is a disposable film camera. You can pick
one up for around $10. If your intent is to have one for emergency
use only, a disposable film camera would document an accident or
vandalism. I keep on in my car and one in my wife's car.

How would that fit in a shirt pocket?

Old March 19th 11, 05:50 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Tony Cooper

wrote:

[...]

Disposable digital cameras are also available.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old March 19th 11, 05:55 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Tony Cooper

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 16:48:33 +1100, N wrote:

On 19/03/2011, tony cooper wrote:

Another thought, though, is a disposable film camera. You can pick
one up for around $10. If your intent is to have one for emergency
use only, a disposable film camera would document an accident or
vandalism. I keep on in my car and one in my wife's car.

How would that fit in a shirt pocket?

You don't make sense. You asked for a camera for emergency use only
and mentioned your automobile. Why would you carry a camera in your
shirt pocket all the time if it is only for emergencies? Keep it in
the glove box.

The disposable digital and film cameras are small enough to put in
your pants pocket, but maybe a bit bulky for a shirt pocket. \

Why don't you go to a store and look at them? Just about any drug
store carries them.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old March 19th 11, 06:24 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
N[_9_]

On 19/03/2011, tony cooper wrote:
On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 16:48:33 +1100, N wrote:

On 19/03/2011, tony cooper wrote:

Another thought, though, is a disposable film camera. You can pick
one up for around $10. If your intent is to have one for emergency
use only, a disposable film camera would document an accident or
vandalism. I keep on in my car and one in my wife's car.

How would that fit in a shirt pocket?

You don't make sense. You asked for a camera for emergency use only
and mentioned your automobile. Why would you carry a camera in your
shirt pocket all the time if it is only for emergencies? Keep it in
the glove box.

_I_ didn't ask for anything. Do you never leave your car for more a
few minutes? Do you go everywhere by car? Do you always know when an
emergency is going to happen? Please lend me your crystal ball.

Old March 19th 11, 07:22 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Rich Grise[_2_]

tony cooper wrote:

Disposable digital cameras are also available.

Why?

Thanks,
Rich

Old March 19th 11, 11:50 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Bill Graham

N wrote:
On 19/03/2011, tony cooper wrote:
On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 16:48:33 +1100, N wrote:

On 19/03/2011, tony cooper wrote:

Another thought, though, is a disposable film camera. You can pick
one up for around $10. If your intent is to have one for emergency
use only, a disposable film camera would document an accident or
vandalism. I keep on in my car and one in my wife's car.

How would that fit in a shirt pocket?

You don't make sense. You asked for a camera for emergency use only
and mentioned your automobile. Why would you carry a camera in your
shirt pocket all the time if it is only for emergencies? Keep it in
the glove box.

_I_ didn't ask for anything. Do you never leave your car for more a
few minutes? Do you go everywhere by car? Do you always know when an
emergency is going to happen? Please lend me your crystal ball.

There are literally hundreds of different cheap digital cameras made by
Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Kodac, Fuji and many others in the 5 to 14 megapixel
range selling for under $100 that will fit in your shirt pocket. Go to an
electronics store, or a Walmart or any drug store and you will see over a
dozen of them. They all work fine, and will do what you want them to do.

Old March 20th 11, 01:43 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
PeterN

On 3/19/2011 9:33 PM, The Bailey wrote:
On Mar 19, 5:48 am, wrote:
On 19/03/2011, tony cooper wrote:

Another thought, though, is a disposable film camera. You can pick
one up for around $10. If your intent is to have one for emergency
use only, a disposable film camera would document an accident or
vandalism. I keep on in my car and one in my wife's car.

How would that fit in a shirt pocket?

Agreed, that's the perfect answer .
Especially as many countries/states still insist on film evidence in
courts and won't accept Digital.
AND defence lawyers will try to suggest in court, anyway, that just
because it is digital it may have been interfered with by the
prosecution , and a judge , knowing little about digital . could
accept such defence!

Tell us which States you are talking about.

--
Peter
Old March 20th 11, 01:43 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Bill Graham

The Bailey wrote:
On Mar 19, 5:48 am, N wrote:
On 19/03/2011, tony cooper wrote:

Another thought, though, is a disposable film camera. You can pick
one up for around $10. If your intent is to have one for emergency
use only, a disposable film camera would document an accident or
vandalism. I keep on in my car and one in my wife's car.

How would that fit in a shirt pocket?

Agreed, that's the perfect answer .
Especially as many countries/states still insist on film evidence in
courts and won't accept Digital.
AND defence lawyers will try to suggest in court, anyway, that just
because it is digital it may have been interfered with by the
prosecution , and a judge , knowing little about digital . could
accept such defence!

Ever since "2001...A Space Odessy" in 1965, photographic evidence in court
has only been as good as the testimony of the photographer who took it.

Old March 21st 11, 02:36 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Neil Harrington[_6_]

"Bill Graham" wrote in message
N wrote:
[...]

He's not the one who's asking for a camera recommendation.