Minilab negative scanning resolution

Old December 19th 10, 02:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
dave

Default Minilab negative scanning resolution

When I have film processed I get just the CD - no prints (usually).
Recently I took some negatives to the processor (using Kodak equipment)
and asked them to do a high resolution scan and put the results on CD.
All they can do is standard scan - about 1 MB jpg file. This is fine
for a 4"x6" print, ok for a 5"x7" print, but not good enough for a
8"x10" print. Is this true of all minilab equipment, or is there
something they can do but may not know about (the workers are usually
min. wage people)?

Ironically, they can scan the negative and produce a very nice 8"x10"
print, but they can't get the data to CD.

I know that there are places I can get scanning done, but that means
mailing negatives, more time, more money, etc.

Thanks,
Dave
Old December 19th 10, 02:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
shiva das

In article ,
dave wrote:

When I have film processed I get just the CD - no prints (usually).
Recently I took some negatives to the processor (using Kodak equipment)
and asked them to do a high resolution scan and put the results on CD.
All they can do is standard scan - about 1 MB jpg file. This is fine
for a 4"x6" print, ok for a 5"x7" print, but not good enough for a
8"x10" print. Is this true of all minilab equipment, or is there
something they can do but may not know about (the workers are usually
min. wage people)?

Ironically, they can scan the negative and produce a very nice 8"x10"
print, but they can't get the data to CD.

I know that there are places I can get scanning done, but that means
mailing negatives, more time, more money, etc.

Thanks,
Dave

Minilabs are the ultimate in lowest-common-denomator equipment. They are
designed and built to serve the 80% or so of the public who wants
nothing more than 4" x 6" prints. If you are at a dedicated place like
Ritz Camera they have higher-end scaners behind the counter to produce
their roll-fed inkjet large-format prints.

If you want something more usable than a standard minilab scan (low-rez)
on a CD you will have to expect to pay more. Not nearly as much as a
drum scan, of course, but more than the $0.10/picture they charge for
minilab crap.

Don't expect this from Costco, Walmart, etc.
Old December 19th 10, 03:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 10-12-18 21:01 , dave wrote:
When I have film processed I get just the CD - no prints (usually).
Recently I took some negatives to the processor (using Kodak equipment)
and asked them to do a high resolution scan and put the results on CD.
All they can do is standard scan - about 1 MB jpg file. This is fine for
a 4"x6" print, ok for a 5"x7" print, but not good enough for a 8"x10"
print. Is this true of all minilab equipment, or is there something they
can do but may not know about (the workers are usually min. wage people)?

Ironically, they can scan the negative and produce a very nice 8"x10"
print, but they can't get the data to CD.

Minilabs are not designed to produce scans for customers. The somewhat
low res stuff they do produce is meant for people's monitors. I've
asked for higher res scans of med format film and they were not able to
do it (Fuji Frontier and Noritsu).

What to do? You could go to a service bureau where the prices are quite
high (here, about $20 - $25 for a single image from med format).

Or get yourself a film scanner.

There are a lot of used (and new) film scanners out there. Just don't
be impressed by claims of high resolution. Round about 4000 - 5000 dpi
is the limit for non-drum scanners. At that, the image quality on the
film is not often up to more than about 2500 dpi or so.

Make sure the scanner has "ICE" capability to deal with dirt and scratches.

Used (and maybe new):

Minolta 5600 (not the Mark II version)
Nikon V, 5000.

Some Canon's (older ones, probably lower resolution) had power supply
noise issues that introduced banding into the scan. Before committing
to a Canon film scanner check out the history on the scanner NG.

Some flatbeds like the higher end Epson's are also quite capable, and
can be used for most any sized negative or positive and documents as well.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.
Old December 20th 10, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
peter

On 12/18/2010 9:01 PM, dave wrote:
When I have film processed I get just the CD - no prints (usually).
Recently I took some negatives to the processor (using Kodak equipment)
and asked them to do a high resolution scan and put the results on CD.
All they can do is standard scan - about 1 MB jpg file. This is fine for
a 4"x6" print, ok for a 5"x7" print, but not good enough for a 8"x10"
print. Is this true of all minilab equipment, or is there something they
can do but may not know about (the workers are usually min. wage people)?

Ironically, they can scan the negative and produce a very nice 8"x10"
print, but they can't get the data to CD.

I know that there are places I can get scanning done, but that means
mailing negatives, more time, more money, etc.

Thanks,
Dave

I have had decent results by talking to the employee, asking for a
higher res scan. Of course I gave them a proper incentive.

--
Peter