Cameras and planes

Old August 10th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cynicor

Default Cameras and planes

Correction: I heard you can take a wallet if it is in a clear
plastic bag. I assume your passport too. But why not
a magazine? Those 18-hour flights to Australia
are going to be real boring.

Yeah, that flight will be a lot better if you can bring your copy of
Popular Photography.

This month: NIKON'S NEW CANON HUMILIATORb!!!!!
Next month: CANON'S NEW NIKON DISEMBOWELER!!!!!
Old August 10th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carol

Mike wrote:
Following the foiled terror attacks on planes between Britain and the US, no
hand luggage at all can be taken onto any flights. How are photographers
going to deal with this? For me, there is absolutely no way I would pack my
gear (worth about £5,000) in with my luggage. If I was making a journey
tomorrow, I would have to either go camera-less (so not much point in going
at all) or cancel.

Link to the story:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4780815.stm

As of 6:52 pm. EST this is what the TSA states about cameras and
electronic equipment.

p_faqid=254&p_created=1155227254&p_sid=uKDpULei&p_ lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9 JnBfcm93X2NudD0xNiZwX3Byb2RzPSZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9Jn BfY3Y9JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1

What it wil be tomorrow will be anyones guess.

Old August 11th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr.Bolshoyhuy

Mike wrote:
If I was making a journey
tomorrow, I would have to either go camera-less (so not much point in going
at all) or cancel.

either A) rent camera + lenses when you arrive.
B) carry a small P&S
C) bring a paint brush and paint

Old August 11th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Littlewood

In article , Mike
writes
Following the foiled terror attacks on planes between Britain and the US, no
hand luggage at all can be taken onto any flights. How are photographers
going to deal with this? For me, there is absolutely no way I would pack my
gear (worth about £5,000) in with my luggage. If I was making a journey
tomorrow, I would have to either go camera-less (so not much point in going
at all) or cancel.

I do understand what you mean. My wife and I have had checked baggage
broken into by thieves before now, and also broken into by US security
and left unlocked for anyone who cared to help themselves (which, on
that occasion, fortunately they did not).

It seems to me that if this kind of thing is going to continue - which
seems a strong probability - then unless airlines wish to lose a lot of
customers they will have to do some radical re-thinking about hold
baggage. I am thinking along the lines of a set of sealed containers
into which you could check your cases etc. while you watched. When full,
they would be locked and the key given to a crew member, who would only
open them when they arrived at the (re-designed) carousel - in full view
of the waiting passengers. There is waaay too much opportunity at
present for thieves to open cases behind the scenes.

David
--
David Littlewood
Old August 11th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Littlewood

In article , Alfred Molon
writes
In article , Mike says...
Following the foiled terror attacks on planes between Britain and the US, no
hand luggage at all can be taken onto any flights. How are photographers
going to deal with this? For me, there is absolutely no way I would pack my
gear (worth about £5,000) in with my luggage. If I was making a journey
tomorrow, I would have to either go camera-less (so not much point in going
at all) or cancel.

Yes, indeed. Thanks to this incident UK photographers cannot travel
internationally with their gear and other photographers living outside
the UK cannot enter the UK with their cameras.

And it's not just UK photographers, it's also UK business people who all
of a sudden cannot carry their notebook computers with them - which
means that international travel is sharply restricted, because nowadays
any serious business traveller carries a notebook with him/herself.

I used to take a laptop with me on business trips to the USA. I even had
to pack it in a suitcase as my hand baggage allowance was taken up with
photo gear, fortunately without loss.

Now, though, I find it much simpler to put all my work on a flash drive,
and borrow a laptop, or make use of a desktop, when I am in the office
where I'm working. It usually means being without the entertainment
benefit of the laptop while kicking my heels in the hotel, but still, I
rather prefer books anyway.

David
--
David Littlewood
Old August 11th 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Littlewood

In article , "Roger N. Clark (change
username to rnclark)" writes
Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Mike says...

Following the foiled terror attacks on planes between Britain and the
US, no hand luggage at all can be taken onto any flights. How are
photographers going to deal with this? For me, there is absolutely no
way I would pack my gear (worth about £5,000) in with my luggage. If
I was making a journey tomorrow, I would have to either go
camera-less (so not much point in going at all) or cancel.

Yes, indeed. Thanks to this incident UK photographers cannot travel
internationally with their gear and other photographers living outside
the UK cannot enter the UK with their cameras. And it's not just UK
photographers, it's also UK business people who all of a sudden
cannot carry their notebook computers with them - which means that
international travel is sharply restricted, because nowadays any
serious business traveller carries a notebook with him/herself.

As I am flying today and have talked to US TSA security,
I was told (by a TSA agent) that on all international
flights leaving the US, no one will be allowed to carry on
any materials. Passengers will be handed a small bag
by the airlines, and you will be able to take NO personal
things of any nature (question about medicine).
No laptops, no cameras, no reading material, nothing.

Airport concessions said buy the yogurt now as when it is
gone there will be no more. It is a "gel" and no gels
are allowed through security, even for concessions.

These rules are a real problem for film shooters, with the high
intensity checked bag x-ray will destroy film.

Here in the US, we can still carry electronics, including
laptops and cameras.

I don't know how long these rules will stay in effect, but
it puts a real damper on my travel. Maybe we'll have to send
expensive gear ahead by fed ex.

Roger

Perhaps we could arrange swaps with like-minded people in the other
country (you borrow mine here and I borrow yours when over there).
Trouble is, the USA is so big the "like minded people" will probably be
1,000 miles from where I want to be... And one would have to be careful
about the bona fides of the "like minded person".

David
--
David Littlewood
Old August 11th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
acl

Mike wrote:
Following the foiled terror attacks on planes between Britain and the US, no
hand luggage at all can be taken onto any flights. How are photographers
going to deal with this? For me, there is absolutely no way I would pack my
gear (worth about £5,000) in with my luggage. If I was making a journey
tomorrow, I would have to either go camera-less (so not much point in going
at all) or cancel.

Thank god for Eurostar.

Old August 11th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Mike wrote:
Following the foiled terror attacks on planes between Britain and the US, no
hand luggage at all can be taken onto any flights. How are photographers
going to deal with this? For me, there is absolutely no way I would pack my
gear (worth about £5,000) in with my luggage. If I was making a journey
tomorrow, I would have to either go camera-less (so not much point in going
at all) or cancel.

Link to the story:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4780815.stm

I doubt this level of security will last long. I have a niece who is
scheduled to return to the US tomorrow from London. She will have to
pack her laptop in her checked bags. I recommended she email any
critical data on the drive to herself before leaving as the baggage
thieves (handlers) will be having a field day.
Old August 11th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Joe wrote:
I was thinking the same. Same with laptops, etc. If you had to put your
camera bag in the hold, would it be covered for damage by the Airlines
insurance and is it likely to be damaged?

Don't get me wrong, possessions are replaceable, human safety isn't, so I am
all for what the officials are doing. However, I am unsure about travelling
with decent camera equipment.

Domestic (US) travelers can carry on laptops, and cameras, but those
leaving from the UK can carry on only passport, wallet, and one day's
prescription medications, in a clear plastic bag. Cameras and laptops
must go in the checked bags. I hope some attention is given to closely
monitoring baggage handlers to prevent widespread theft. Some people
will not hesitate to take advantage of the situation.