Which wide angle for Canon 300D - Tokina or Sigma

Old November 7th 05, 09:41 PM
Siddhartha Jain

Default Which wide angle for Canon 300D - Tokina or Sigma

Hi,

I need a wide-angle for my Canon 300D. Two fit within my budget of
$500:
- Tokina 12-24 f/4
- Sigma 10-22mm f/4-5.6

Which one do you think is a better and why?

Thanks,

- Siddhartha

Old November 7th 05, 09:44 PM
Siddhartha Jain

Siddhartha Jain wrote:
Hi,

I need a wide-angle for my Canon 300D. Two fit within my budget of
$500:
- Tokina 12-24 f/4
- Sigma 10-22mm f/4-5.6

Which one do you think is a better and why?

Thanks,

- Siddhartha

Sorry, that should read "Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6"

- Siddhartha

Old November 7th 05, 10:20 PM

No direct personal experience, but have read the Tokina 12-24 is your
best bet if you're not going 10-22 ef/s.

I've also read the 10-22ef/s under most conditions performs roughly
equivalent to the 17-40L in ranges where they overlap...not sure I
believe it, but as far as lenses go the 10-22 seems to have strong
proponents.

\post is worth worth $0.02 if taken with grain of salt.

Old November 7th 05, 10:26 PM
Martin Francis

"Siddhartha Jain" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I need a wide-angle for my Canon 300D. Two fit within my budget of
$500:
- Tokina 12-24 f/4
- Sigma 10-22mm f/4-5.6

Which one do you think is a better and why?

I'd say Tokina. I've not tested either, but here's why:

* constant f4 beats variable f4-5.6 every time.
* spec looks pretty close to the Nikon lens.
* seen references to reviews stating the Tokina is better than the Nikon,
and the Nikon is generally raved about.
* I like Tokina lenses- the 19-35mm and 28-70mm were pretty good. Sigma
lenses feel cheap. Beyond optics, i'd say the majority of my decision is
made on tactility.

So, probably not the best opinion to base a $500 purchase on, but it's all
i've got. Sorry :-)

Martin

Old November 8th 05, 12:20 AM
Dimitris M

I have the Tokina for my Nikon D70 and it is an exellent lens. I will
suggest it, but...

As Nikon myltiply focal length by 1,5, the lens becames equivalent to a
18-36mm.

In Canon that it will be multiplied by 1,6 the focal length will be 19,2-
38,4mm. Sigma will become 16-32mm.
--
Dimitris M