Digital projector recommendations?

Old June 10th 04, 07:47 AM
RSD99

Default Digital projector recommendations?

FWIW: Almost all of the "digital projectors" I've seen are limited to a fixed 800 x 600 or
1024 x 768 resolution. At that, the prices seem to have a $1,500 floor!

IMHO: That's fine for projecting spreadsheets and "PowerPoint" presentations, but not
really enough for projecting photographs.

Old June 10th 04, 11:22 AM
David Kilpatrick

Jim wrote:

"RSD99" wrote:

FWIW: Almost all of the "digital projectors" I've seen are limited to a fixed 800 x 600 or
1024 x 768 resolution. At that, the prices seem to have a $1,500 floor!

IMHO: That's fine for projecting spreadsheets and "PowerPoint" presentations, but not
really enough for projecting photographs.

Thanks - that really was one of my concerns, but so many are
being sold as home cinema systems that I wondered if the new
"DLP" systems were up to photo projection.

We got one of the Sony home cinema systems and it went down well at a
large camera club projecting 1024 x 768 res 'slides' in an auditorium
situation, six foot screen. It was very low cost - £695 in Britain which
is about the $1500 figure - and ran very well off an iBook.

The club involved immediately decided they wanted one because it was
better than slides. They are mainly over 50 and wear thick specs :-)

David

Old June 11th 04, 12:45 AM
Norman Worth

I've been pretty disappointed with the digital projectors. Although
extremely useful and even necessary for some work, they lack the definition,
fidelity, and punch of slide projectors. Try to find one with at least 1024
by 768 resolution. It really shows. One of the biggest problems with
digital projectors is calibration and profiles. The color is usually way
off. You can set up a profile for the projector by experiment, or you can
try adjusting it and not using a profile. Neither method is really
satisfactory, and the projector color drifts fairly rapidly over time. I
have not yet seen any calibration kits for them (like the Pantone Spyder for
monitors). Has anyone? Any ideas?

"Jim" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a decent digital projector for showing
photography? To be used with a laptop PC in small halls as
well as in the home. Any web sites/suppliers who might be
able to help?

Thanks...

[To email go to my address and take out the dog...]

Old June 15th 04, 08:11 AM
zeitgeist

Can anyone recommend a decent digital projector for showing
photography? To be used with a laptop PC in small halls as
well as in the home. Any web sites/suppliers who might be
able to help?

just put digital projector into a search engine and you will find a dozen
that specialize and offer tutorials. All your computer dealers and
electronic retail websites seem to offer them. You can find them at
Costco.com (different selection than what's shown on the warehouse floor)

just remember, XGA is about minimal, anything smaller and you have a
glorified vhs/dvd image.

I bought a epson 73c, its XGA with 1,500 lumens. very bright, sharp enough.

I project family portraits and weddings, hoping to show and sell wall print
images.

my problem is that the dang thing as a near wide angle lens. I'm used to
setting up a slide projector way back in the corner and barely getting a
30x40 filled, but then I could zoom in and show that the 'huge' 11x14 they
were thinking of upgrading to was still a postage stamp. but now I
overflow the screen from the desk, so eventually I will want to find a zoom
model, though someone suggested that I could figure out percentages to type
in and make the shown image just to smaller sizes that would fit the frame
size, that would not make the smaller image seem brighter and sharper also.

the 73c sold for $2k, I see it for about $1,500, bought mine sorta new on
ebay for 1,300 (and surprise, they even included a spare bulb, a $300 gift,)
another thing to consider, bulbs that are supposed to last 2,000 hours are,
by empirical reports, only about 750 or so hours and cost 2-500.

my pro association was going to buy a BenQ as someone figured out they had
the best deal that week.

You can find links to some projector sites and other retailers of photo gear
at the z-prophoto mailing list links page at yahoogroups.com