Color vs Colour

Old January 23rd 05, 12:58 AM
Andy Hewitt

Darrell dev/null wrote:

"Andy Hewitt" wrote in message
et...
MrB wrote:

Andy, good one. Most of us spell it your way.

Thought so :-)

I just thought it pretty lame to ask about the spelling of colour, then
use 'their' in the wrong context. It's a pair of words I see used so
often incorrectly in groups.

Many can't tell the difference between;

there
their
they're

Yes, obviously.

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Honda Civic 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)
Old January 23rd 05, 01:06 AM
Frank ess

Bart van der Wolf wrote:
"Toomanyputters" wrote in message
. com...
SNIP
Why do the Brits choose to drive on the wrong side of the road?

Apparently it comes from the tradition of riding one's horse on the
left side of the road, leaving the right hand (side) open for handling
the sword, or so I've been told.

If that one hasn't been Snopes'd it should have been.

Old January 23rd 05, 01:07 AM
Frank ess

MrB wrote:

Andy, good one. Most of us spell it your way.

Thought so :-)

I just thought it pretty lame to ask about the spelling of colour,
then use 'their' in the wrong context. It's a pair of words I see
used so often incorrectly in groups.

Many can't tell the difference between;

there
their
they're

You're supposition is correct.

Old January 23rd 05, 02:26 AM
Robert Scott

wrote in message

Reading improperly used apostrophes and wrong homonyms is most confusing
to the people who understand their proper usage! Relatively neanderthal
people convert the word into sound, and then interpret in context.
Relatively literate people take the words at face value, and find them
to destroy the sentence. For example, someone might write "I burned the
CD's", meaning multiple CDs, but I am looking for something that the CD
possesses to immediately follow "CD's", such as, "I burned the CD's
paper inserts in the fireplace".

That one bugs me, too.

But I'm wondering... how do I expresss the plural of "Nikon F4S" when I want
to say I have two? I usually write "my two Nikon F4S's" but I'm pretty sure
that's wrong. :-)

Good shooting,
Bob Scott

Old January 23rd 05, 03:26 AM

In message . net,
"Robert Scott" wrote:

That one bugs me, too.

But I'm wondering... how do I expresss the plural of "Nikon F4S" when I want
to say I have two? I usually write "my two Nikon F4S's" but I'm pretty sure
that's wrong. :-)

I would go with "F4Ses", but I don't know for sure, so I tend to
restructure sentences to avoid unknowns.

"... my two Nikon F4S cameras ..."

--

John P Sheehy