Colormanagement, double monitor profiling

Old May 8th 09, 08:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ove Ilsoee

Default Colormanagement, double monitor profiling

Hi.

I know Color management in theory should be quite simple, but to
understand what happens in the OS may be another story, here is mine:

I have recently bought Spyder3 Studio, and has now a calibrated
monitor. The profile is installed in Vista, as the default profile.

For printing I use Fotoslate from ACDSee, which is color management
capable.
For browsing it's ACDSee Pro, again because of CM.
For editing Photoshop Elements also with CM.

In all applications the monitor profile from Spyder3 is configured as
the working profile. In Elements this is not possible, it uses the OS
default.

Now, after printing with my also brand new printer profile it's
possible to have a consistent color look over more paper media's
(using individual printer profiles). This is great, but the overall
impression is too warm.

I now think the reason is the monitor profiling. Why?

If I look at a sRGB picture in a non-color management browser: here
Opera, the picture is shown correct , there is only one profiling done
at the OS level, just as Bill want it.

Then I look at the picture through ACDSee Pro with the Spyder monitor
profile chosen as the monitor profile. The picture turns out more
yellow.
Repeat with Photoshop Elements, same result.

Se picture he

http://www.ilsoee.dk/monitorkal/Med.jpg

Now I change the profile in ACDSee Pro to sRGB and the picture is
like the one from Opera.
This is not possible in Elements.
To fool it, I now change the profile in Vista and set's the default to
sRGB. This means no change in the actual profiling in the OS, at least
not before reBooting .
But restarting Elements make it believe, so now the picture is shown
correct. Example he

http://www.ilsoee.dk/monitorkal/Uden.jpg

Well, not what I would call too clever.
This behavior is not documented anywhere I've looked.
I would believe its a bug in Elements, or am I wrong?
At least I'm now aware, that I have had a wrong color in my monitor
for years, because my old Lenovo monitor profile was much like the
Spyder's.

How is your CM flow?
Do you have the same problem?

And now I'm asking so much, how is the Spyder profile installed in the
OS? Does it change the LUT of the graphical Nvidia board?

Thank You for your interest.

BR
Ove
--