Nikon is backwards

Old March 10th 19, 06:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey

Default Nikon is backwards

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 13:44:02 -0000, Whisky-dave wrote:

On Sunday, 24 February 2019 21:16:38 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 10:08:25 -0000, Whisky-dave wrote:

On Saturday, 16 February 2019 20:19:37 UTC, Alan Browne wrote:

Nope. Quickly. And to test it further, jerked it with my hand.

Commander Kinsey spends most of his waking hours doing that back and forth.

I shouldn't have shown you that video, now you dream about me every day.

I thought it was to show people how cool you were, I was just helping you out by reposting evidence of your coolness.

You said I was a ******, how is showing I'm cool?
Old March 11th 19, 01:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 4:35:04 AM UTC-4, David in Devon wrote:
On 10/03/2019 00:48, -hh wrote:
I did find in Iceland
last year that the geothermal heat is similarly distributed and some hotels ask
guests to not mess with the valves, but to just open/close a window.

Have you been watching 'Trapped'?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipz5bkl7ib...30.11.png?dl=0

No, haven't heard of it. I'll have to look into how to get BBC4 in the USA.

Interesting scenery but a complicated plot!

Yeah, the scenery in Iceland is a tad different - I kept on having a Deja Vu feeling
that I'd seen something like it before. Interesting in that there's waterfalls all over,
although many of the popular ones are popular because they're big, not necessarily
because they're photogenic. Its on the "to do" list to go back for another visit, with
an eye towards Northern Lights in the winter.

-hh
Old March 12th 19, 08:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

On Tuesday, March 12, 2019 at 3:11:58 PM UTC-4, Sandman wrote:
-hh wrote:

Yes, I've seen these on many occasions in EU hotels; since they're
often individually zoned, I'd probably prefer these over the zone
system I described.

Yeah, they each have a thermostat (i.e. a small 0-9 dial).

Often with a "snowflake" symbol on them too.

I've changed all ours to digital ones that I can control centrally.

Sounds neat.

Plus their flat-top grate can be quite useful for drying items when
one's been on a longer trip (or caught out in bad weather) and done
some "bathroom sink" laundry.

Indeed. Never thought about that. You'll find stuff left on the
radiators to dry a lot during the winter times here in Sweden.

The integrated towel warmers in the bathrooms are great too, and
even better for doing this, as they're faster drying.

Sandman:
More or less like here, but since the water is pumped from the
local energy company, we don't need a pump, but we have a heating
central where we can increase or decrease the pressure and
temperature.

One fewer thing in your own home to break or maintain. I did find in
Iceland last year that the geothermal heat is similarly distributed
and some hotels ask guests to not mess with the valves, but to just
open/close a window.

Yeah, geothermal heat isn't uncommon here either, but usually it's
for places where district heating won't reach, plus it's usually used
to heat the water tank that feed these radiators.

Iceland's geothermal facilities will pump the hot water for many
miles/km ... Googling: the Nesjavellir Geothermal Power Plant
pumps their water a distance of ~17 miles (27km) to Reykjavik.

What's also clever about their setup is that the same water supply,
after it has gone through the heating system is then used as the
home's domestic hot water supply....and why some of the showers
have a sulfurous smell.

Some use floor heating instead though. We have it in the bathroom,
kitchen and laundry room. Kitchen is electric, rest is connected
to the district heating.

Floor heating is commonly referred to as "Radiant Heat" in the USA;
it was popular for a time in the 1950s with pipes put into concrete
floors, but these proved to be very unreliable and were phased out.
It has made somewhat of a comeback in the last few years with the
invention of a plastic tube based system that can be mounted on the
undersides of wooden floors, etc. There's also a few companies
who sell an electric "mat" that one installs into the mortar of a
floor as it is being tiled. A poor installer will nick one of the
wires during installation and the circuit will initially test okay,
but then shorts out in a few years.

Oh, and the garage as well has floor heating.

Nice. Heating in a garage is uncommon in the USA, and a floor
based system to do this is ra when I have occasionally seen
heating in a garage, its typically been as a ceiling-hung space
heater that's electrical resistance based and blows hot air.

FWIW, I don't know what they're doing today, but garages in the
USA didn't traditionally have any insulation installed.

-hh
Old March 12th 19, 11:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 10/03/2019 00:48, -hh wrote:
I did find in Iceland
last year that the geothermal heat is similarly distributed and some hotels ask
guests to not mess with the valves, but to just open/close a window.

Have you been watching 'Trapped'?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipz5bkl7ib...30.11.png?dl=0

No, haven't heard of it. I'll have to look into how to get BBC4 in the USA.

If you find out, please let me know. From what I've read it's strictly a
rights issue. I do not expect to get it free.

--
PeterN
Old March 12th 19, 11:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 10/03/2019 00:48, -hh wrote:
I did find in Iceland
last year that the geothermal heat is similarly distributed and some
hotels ask
guests to not mess with the valves, but to just open/close a window.

Have you been watching 'Trapped'?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipz5bkl7ib...30.11.png?dl=0

No, haven't heard of it.Â*Â* I'll have to look into how to get BBC4 in
the USA.

If you find out, please let me know. From what I've read it's strictly a
rights issue. I do not expect to get it free.

I just found a bunch of videos from BBC 4 on YouTube.

--
PeterN