Going to Ireland - Safe to take the 20D?

Old August 22nd 05, 12:53 PM
Robbie

Default Going to Ireland - Safe to take the 20D?

This is somewhat off topic. I am going to Ireland in a few weeks, and had
planned on taking my 20D. A friend recently warned against taking the
camera. He said that it would mark me as a tourist and also be a high priced
item for stealing/mugging. Bummer. He was baing his expierences on trips to
Europe and Russia. So, I ask the group if there are creative ways to take
the camera but not have it so obvious, short of taping over all the
labels.Or, is the thefts more the exception to the rule than the norm?

Thanks in advance!

Old August 22nd 05, 01:06 PM
Thomas Müller

Robbie wrote:

This is somewhat off topic. I am going to Ireland in a few weeks, and had
planned on taking my 20D.

Thanks in advance!

Take a SD10, then you're save from theft.
Old August 22nd 05, 01:55 PM
David Geesaman

"Robbie" wrote in message
This is somewhat off topic. I am going to Ireland in a few weeks, and had
planned on taking my 20D. A friend recently warned against taking the
camera. He said that it would mark me as a tourist and also be a high
priced
item for stealing/mugging. Bummer. He was baing his expierences on trips
Europe and Russia. So, I ask the group if there are creative ways to take
the camera but not have it so obvious, short of taping over all the
labels.Or, is the thefts more the exception to the rule than the norm?

Thanks in advance!

I've never heard of Ireland being a dangerous place. Russia, sure I
believe the warnings regarding theft, as well with any big European city.
To protect your belongings,
1) remove the luggage tags when you arrive and store them inside the
bag.
2) for your walkabout bags, use generic looking non-luggage brands. To
improve your security, it might be worth spending a few bucks to buy a
locally made canvas shopping bag or whatever common thing you see locals
carrying.
3) when you take out your gear, be mindful of what's around you but get
wound up about it. When you take out your camera, keep one wrap of the
neckstrap around your wrist so it can't be yanked easily. Being rushed or
nervous is no way to travel, and if there are any pickpockets or
would-be-theives around, they may actually target you since you'll tend to
be sloppy.

As for looking like a tourist - you will look like a tourist regardless
of the camera. (In fact, most tourists IME carry tiny P&S cameras and do
the snapshotting thing) My advice here has nothing to do with cameras -
observe the local mannerisms, way of speaking (loud/soft, close/distant,
etc), and ask questions. Very few places in the world have I ever
encountered locals who being _asked_ about their culture unless they're
clearly busy with something else. Most will be happy to give some useful
suggestions. Speak using proper English without fancy words and *WITHOUT
SLANG*. Think perfect 5th grade book report language - it's not that other
people are stupid, but there is a common form of English that is best
understood by all. Many people who are having trouble hearing a particular
kind of accent make things worse by talking 'down' using their local slang.

Dave

Old August 22nd 05, 02:12 PM
David Geesaman

"David Geesaman" wrote in message
3) when you take out your gear, be mindful of what's around you but

don't

get wound up about it. When you take out your camera, keep one wrap of
the Think perfect 5th grade book report language - it's not that other
people are stupid, but there is a common form of English that is best
understood by all. Many people who are having trouble hearing a
particular kind of accent make things worse by talking 'down' using their
local slang.

People like to help others who they can effectively communicate with.

Old August 22nd 05, 02:42 PM
Bigguy

Ireland in general is very friendly/safe for tourists.

However Dublin does have gangs of street urchins who will crowd you and
steal anything they can including bags, cameras, mobiles and wallets.
Some care is advised... keep hold of bags etc. and avoid looking slueless -
as you would in any major city.

Guy

Old August 22nd 05, 03:01 PM
Zeke Galama

This is nonsence - someone is in sane, bull****ing you - or he hasn't been
in Ireland.

Ireland is a very friendly place, friendly people and very safe. It is
probably safer to bring it than to leave it at home, almost wherever you
live. You could even have it around your neck in the night, going between
pubs in Dublin.

Old August 22nd 05, 03:08 PM
Mike Warren

Zeke Galama wrote:
You could even have it around your neck in the night, going
between pubs in Dublin.

Although it might get broken when he falls over drunk. :-)

-Mike