For Mac Users - Affinity Photo Update

Old December 9th 16, 05:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default For Mac Users - Affinity Photo Update

Just to advise Mac users that Serif has updated/upgraded Affinity Photo
from 1.4.3 to 1.5 with a whole bunch of added features.
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/new-features/

For Mac users who are looking for good Adobe Alternatives we now have
Affinity Photo 1.5, Pixelmator, and Luminar.
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/
http://www.pixelmator.com/mac/
https://macphun.com/luminar

Savageduck

Old December 9th 16, 12:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 09/12/2016 04:24, Savageduck wrote:
Just to advise Mac users that Serif has updated/upgraded Affinity Photo
from 1.4.3 to 1.5 with a whole bunch of added features.
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/new-features/

For Mac users who are looking for good Adobe Alternatives we now have
Affinity Photo 1.5, Pixelmator, and Luminar.
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/
http://www.pixelmator.com/mac/
https://macphun.com/luminar

.... and there's a reduced price introductory offer for Windows users
too, including some macros:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

GBP £30. Makes Adobe look /very/ expensive.....

--
Cheers,
David
Old December 9th 16, 04:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David Taylor
wrote:

... and there's a reduced price introductory offer for Windows users
too, including some macros:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

GBP £30. Makes Adobe look /very/ expensive.....

nonsense. the difference is negligible.

photoshop elements, which is what that app competes with, is typically
$50 usd street price, and as of right now, is ~40 gbp. in other words,
photoshop is only *slightly* more expensive, a whole 10 gbp.
Old December 9th 16, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-12-09 15:29:02 +0000, nospam said:

In article , David Taylor
wrote:

... and there's a reduced price introductory offer for Windows users
too, including some macros:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

GBP £30. Makes Adobe look /very/ expensive.....

nonsense. the difference is negligible.

photoshop elements, which is what that app competes with, is typically
$50 usd street price, and as of right now, is ~40 gbp. in other words,
photoshop is only *slightly* more expensive, a whole 10 gbp.

Affinity Photo is far more capable than PSE. Also PSE is not in the
same league as PS CC, but Affinity Photo is.
You should give it a try sometime, I have.

I have also bought and tested and use Pixelmator, and Luminar, and they
are also far more capable than PSE. Lately I have added Luminar to my
Lightroom workflow with some interesting and surprising results.

The digital photography post processing world is no longer all Adobe. I
say that with the disclaimer that my preferred workflow is Lightroom CC
+ Photoshop CC.

Savageduck

Old December 9th 16, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

... and there's a reduced price introductory offer for Windows users
too, including some macros:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

GBP £30. Makes Adobe look /very/ expensive.....

nonsense. the difference is negligible.

photoshop elements, which is what that app competes with, is typically
$50 usd street price, and as of right now, is ~40 gbp. in other words,
photoshop is only *slightly* more expensive, a whole 10 gbp.

Affinity Photo is far more capable than PSE.

not really. it's a consumer level app and priced accordingly.

Also PSE is not in the
same league as PS CC, but Affinity Photo is.

no it isn't.

a proper comparison is with elements, not the full photoshop.

You should give it a try sometime, I have.

so have i.

the point is that the prices are similar, almost the same, in fact.

I have also bought and tested and use Pixelmator, and Luminar, and they
are also far more capable than PSE. Lately I have added Luminar to my
Lightroom workflow with some interesting and surprising results.

again, they're all consumer apps, with overlapping feature sets.

The digital photography post processing world is no longer all Adobe. I
say that with the disclaimer that my preferred workflow is Lightroom CC
+ Photoshop CC.

it never was all adobe.
Old December 9th 16, 08:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 09/12/2016 15:53, Savageduck wrote:
[]
Affinity Photo is far more capable than PSE. Also PSE is not in the same
league as PS CC, but Affinity Photo is.
You should give it a try sometime, I have.

I have also bought and tested and use Pixelmator, and Luminar, and they
are also far more capable than PSE. Lately I have added Luminar to my
Lightroom workflow with some interesting and surprising results.

The digital photography post processing world is no longer all Adobe. I
say that with the disclaimer that my preferred workflow is Lightroom CC
+ Photoshop CC.

Thanks for providing that update! Always best to speak from experience
rather than guesswork. I'm looking forward to finding out more about my
copy of Affinity Photo.

--
Cheers,
David
Old December 9th 16, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-12-09 19:47:21 +0000, David Taylor
said:

On 09/12/2016 15:53, Savageduck wrote:
[]
Affinity Photo is far more capable than PSE. Also PSE is not in the same
league as PS CC, but Affinity Photo is.
You should give it a try sometime, I have.

I have also bought and tested and use Pixelmator, and Luminar, and they
are also far more capable than PSE. Lately I have added Luminar to my
Lightroom workflow with some interesting and surprising results.

The digital photography post processing world is no longer all Adobe. I
say that with the disclaimer that my preferred workflow is Lightroom CC
+ Photoshop CC.

Thanks for providing that update! Always best to speak from experience
rather than guesswork. I'm looking forward to finding out more about
my copy of Affinity Photo.

Affinity has a fully non-destructive editing workflow and just takes a
little time to understand just how it works with their "Persona"
concept.
The "Develop Persona" is their RAW processor, and much like ACR once
you have completed your adjustments to the RAW file you exit to the
"Photo Persona". There you make adjustments with layers and the same
tools you would have available with PS. If you go through the set up in
preferences, you can also use most of the plug-ins available to
Photoshop. I have set up Affinity Photo to use the NIK Collection and
ExposureX.

You can save the layered, adjusted file in their file format
".afphoto", your original is unmolested. If you need PNG, JPEG, GIF,
PSD, TIFF, PDF, SVG, EXR, or HDR you have to use the "Export" dialog
from the menu, or the "Export Persona", much the same as one would
using Lightroom or even PS.

Even though Tony finds them minimal and not detailed enough, I
recommend taking a look at some of the tutorial videos Serif provides.

Savageduck

Old December 9th 16, 11:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-12-09 19:47:21 +0000, David Taylor
said:

[...]

BTW; this is what the export dialog from the File menu looks like:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_333.jpg

Savageduck