Affinity Photo Beta

Old November 14th 16, 08:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

Default Affinity Photo Beta

I've downloaded and started getting familiar with this app, and thought
I'd share a few first impressions; I will be buying this app!

I mentioned in another thread that I used Serif software long ago, but
that they faded into the background for me when Adobe started buying the
better graphic app companies and subsequently dominated the market. Like
their earlier products, Photo appears to be aimed at the professional
user. The app handles all the essential formats including CMYK and LAB.
The tool set is considerable, and I even found some creative ways that
some of the "common" tools work to make editing photos easier and faster.

Not only is this app a functional competitor to PhotoShop, there is no
comparison to the "lesser" apps like GIMP. There may be something one
can do in PS that can't be done with Affinity Photo, but it might take
me some time to find it.

Thanks, Duck, for the pointer!

--
best regards,

Neil
Old November 14th 16, 10:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-11-14 19:24:50 +0000, Neil said:

[...]

I am glad you took the time to explore Affinity Photo and discovered
the geat functionality of this app.

It is a powerful app which will meet the needs of many folks looking
for a Photoshop replacement without much compromise. I understand that
there is a resistance against much of what Adobe has done in recent
years with the subscription model, even though for many of us Adobe CC
is currently our preferred choice.

For the last three years I have explored many of the options for a PS
replacement and maintained my Adobe CC subscription. Through this
period I have found two Mac only apps, Acorn and Pixelmator, which are
adequate PS replacements, and one which is probably the best, of the
current PS replacement class, Affinity Photo. I have bought both
Pixelmator and Affinity Photo (AP), putting my money where my mouth is,
and I use both along with my normal Lightroom CC/PS CC workflow so that
I can climb the AP learning curve and discover different results with
different apps.

Anyway, I have no doubt that Affinity Photo will meet your photo editing needs.

Savageduck

Old November 14th 16, 11:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 11/14/2016 4:11 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On 2016-11-14 19:24:50 +0000, Neil said:

[...]

Yes, there will be a learning curve, but I can already see many
correlative functions between AP and PhotoShop. Some of the tools have
different and/or added functionality, some PS functions are made
available in a different way, e.g. some selection tools and curve
editors. But, the control appears to be there, and as I'm not a
"pre-set" fan, I was glad to see macro capabilities.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old November 15th 16, 02:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 11/14/2016 8:12 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 14:24:50 -0500, Neil
wrote:

[...]

What have you been using?

Over the decades I've used several programs, of course. I still mainly
use PhotoShop for image editing because it supports the formats I needs
and integrates with Illustrator, FrameMaker and InDesign, which I also use.

My review of trying out Affinity Photo was very luke-warm because I
don't see any advantages to what I'm now using: Adobe's PS/LR
subscription.

At this point, I don't see an "advantage" over PS of the Affinity Photo
Beta, but there are a few features that I may prefer for some uses.

I also wonder how you are doing image management.

My needs go beyond just image management. I have to manage the large,
complex documents (~500 pages) that I create, so products like LR are
inadequate solutions. So, I wrote my own document management software
decades ago, a relatively simple relational database app (compared to
some commercial programs I've written).

--
best regards,

Neil
Old November 15th 16, 03:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

wrote:

[...]

Although I have't looked into it I thought one of the advantages was that is
£40 and you don't have to pay a subscription every month and people might
prefere just a one off cost like buying a car rather than renting one etc...

and I think it's free or a demo at the moment. I'm happy enough with
pixelmator at the moment as are others I assume.

I also wonder how you are doing image management.

Not everyone needs image management .

Photoline is free to try and €59 to buy:

http://www.pl32.com/
--
teleportation kills
Old November 15th 16, 03:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

wrote:

[...]

Photoline is free to try and e59 to buy:

http://www.pl32.com/
--
teleportation kills
Old November 15th 16, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Tony Cooper" wrote

| I also wonder how you are doing image management.
|
| Not everyone needs image management .
|

| Well, yes, they do. "Image management" is just a fancy term to
| describe how images are stored and accessed. If you have a folder
| named "Photos", and all photos you add to the computer are placed in
| this folder, that's image management.

I assumed he was talking about built-in
find-your-pictures-for-dummies features,
like Picasa made popular, for people who
actually don't know how to use the file
system.

I have a partition named "Graphics"
where I keep photos, general graphics
and multimedia. I have folders there
organized by topics. Sounds and Graphics
have subfolders like Midi, Wav, Photos,
and so on. I wouldn't call that "image
management". It's just basic organization
of my files. When I work on a photo I drag
a copy to the Desktop, then eventually
I might put one or more changed files into
the Graphics storage. I know where my
files are, so I don't need "image management".

PSP16 has 3 tabs. One is Manage, to find
files. The next is Adjust, to do one-click
changes to images. The third is Edit. I have
no use for the first two tabs, but PSP16
won't let me remove them. Worse, I can't
change the default, which opens to the Manage
tab. To me that's like buying a racing bike
and then finding that it has training wheels
that can't be removed. It all just adds to the
bloat of PSP and shouldn't be part of a software
program designed for advanced editing. If someone
working with layers doesn't know where they keep
their image files they need to take an adult ed
course in computers.

Old November 15th 16, 05:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
"Mayayana" wrote:

"Tony Cooper" wrote

| I also wonder how you are doing image management.
|
| Not everyone needs image management .
|

| Well, yes, they do. "Image management" is just a fancy term to
| describe how images are stored and accessed. If you have a folder
| named "Photos", and all photos you add to the computer are placed in
| this folder, that's image management.

I assumed he was talking about built-in
find-your-pictures-for-dummies features,
like Picasa made popular, for people who
actually don't know how to use the file
system.

I have a partition named "Graphics"
where I keep photos, general graphics
and multimedia. I have folders there
organized by topics. Sounds and Graphics
have subfolders like Midi, Wav, Photos,
and so on. I wouldn't call that "image
management". It's just basic organization
of my files. When I work on a photo I drag
a copy to the Desktop, then eventually
I might put one or more changed files into
the Graphics storage. I know where my
files are, so I don't need "image management".

XNView is free for some users. "Non profit" is the magic term I think...

http://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/

PSP16 has 3 tabs. One is Manage, to find
files. The next is Adjust, to do one-click
changes to images. The third is Edit. I have
no use for the first two tabs, but PSP16
won't let me remove them. Worse, I can't
change the default, which opens to the Manage
tab. To me that's like buying a racing bike
and then finding that it has training wheels
that can't be removed. It all just adds to the
bloat of PSP and shouldn't be part of a software
program designed for advanced editing. If someone
working with layers doesn't know where they keep
their image files they need to take an adult ed
course in computers.

PaintShop Pro, the well known precursor to Photoshop has yet to get a
Mac download...
--
teleportation kills
Old November 15th 16, 05:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

| I also wonder how you are doing image management.
|
| Not everyone needs image management .
|

| Well, yes, they do. "Image management" is just a fancy term to
| describe how images are stored and accessed. If you have a folder
| named "Photos", and all photos you add to the computer are placed in
| this folder, that's image management.

I assumed he was talking about built-in
find-your-pictures-for-dummies features,
like Picasa made popular, for people who
actually don't know how to use the file
system.

I have a partition named "Graphics"
where I keep photos, general graphics
and multimedia. I have folders there
organized by topics. Sounds and Graphics
have subfolders like Midi, Wav, Photos,
and so on. I wouldn't call that "image
management". It's just basic organization
of my files.

If you don't feel that organizing your photo files is a form of image
management, that's a definition of the words that I can't agree with,
but it's your choice.

Adobe Elements, in fact, calls their image management module
"Organizer".

The find-your-pictures aspect can be part of your organization. You
don't need keywords as used in LR and other image management apps to
do this. If you have a subfolder labeled "Christmas2015", or name
your photos "2015-12-25-001" (or similar), you have a
find-your-pictures feature.

A program like LR is more sophisticated than a file and folder system
because it allows the use of keywords and more search functions. These
additional features may not be needed by all, but some image
management or organization is.

yep.
Old November 15th 16, 05:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

I also wonder how you are doing image management.

Not everyone needs image management .

yes they do.