Minolta G400 v Canon Ixus400

Old July 19th 04, 08:39 PM
Dave E

Default Minolta G400 v Canon Ixus400

Hi Kokhino,
I had a pretty similiar experience myself recently, only concerning a
maternal wife.
I bought the G400 as our first inroad into digital photography. I have been
into "wet" 35mm photography for 32 years. Used to love developing my own
work, until I became sensitised to the chemicals in fixer. Anyway.....
My wife loved the 400 right out of the box. Everything about it she thought
was really excellent. As far as I was concerned the pictures were superb,
which was a bonus!!
We had it three weeks and I saw the G600. More pixels right. After showing
her the pictures of it on the web she agreed to the purchase. She sold the
G400 to a work colleague for what we paid (web price much cheaper than store
price).
She's pining for the G400. She says the 600 doesn't feel the same. I can't
see the difference myself, but then I am only a man ;-)
The G600 is superb btw. A4 prints and even 25% crops are stunning.
I am about to buy my second G400 in a month. I'll have to, I want my wife
back.
Dave.
ps. I have a lot of darkroom equipment going in the next garage sale. Last
used 1991. :-)

"Kokinho" wrote in message
om...
If you are thinking of buying the Canon Ixus ahead of the Minolta
G400, do not do it. Originally I had the G400 and took it abroad for a
month and took over 300 pictures. Not a single pic had red eye, the
picture quality and colours were amazing. But an offer came on the
Canon Ixus400, so I took back the G400 and bought the Ixus400. Big
mistake!!!!

Every 80 pics I took with it had about 2 pics with red eye (using the
red eye reduction on the camera). The autofocus took a while before it
actually was set for a shot. The image quality was just above average
for a standard digital camera, but the G400 was out of this world. So
as you can imagine I bought the G400 back. The colours on the Canon
were so dull.

Old July 20th 04, 03:59 PM
Dave E

Hi again,
I bought my G400 from QVC, a cable shopping channel for £179. Came with a
"free" Minolta camera bag. QVC do have some decent stuff occassionally but
you have to descriminate between the hype and the genuine.
I originally ordered the G600 from 7DayPhotoshop along with a 256 card and a
Samsonite case. I had done business with them previously for small items
filters, lens hood etc and if you don't want your items in a hurry they are
very good. After reading the stories on this newsgroup of the vat and
associated hitches I decided to cancel the camera. I eventually ordered the
camera from www.cameras2u.com. I cannot recommend them enough. £246 I paid.
Free next day delivery, it arived when they said it would. I received my
free battery from Minolta today. Even if I had bought the camera from
Photoshop I would not have been able to apply to Minolta for this as you
needed to supply them with a vat invoice to claim the free battery. If I had
been charged at the door for vat the price would still have been £247ish and
maybe even a fee on top of that.
I found cameras2u from a Google and www.Pricerunner.com search. I am always
a little concerned when ordering equipment from a web supplier for the first
time so read the customer reviews on Pricerunner. All of them were really
good so I went ahead. I'm glad I did and will definitely use cameras2u
again. Actually pretty soon as they have a G400 for £158.99
(http://www.cameras2u.com/products/de...DUCT=V2732101A). Been
thinking of buying a Minolta A2 but don't tell the wife
(http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A2/A2A12.HTM).
Although as I have said in my last post this is my first foray into digital
phototgraphy I do have quite a lot of experience in 35mm processing and what
makes a good photograph. Several friends still have my B&W enlargements of
holidays we took to Yosemite and the Grand Canyon on their walls. In my
humble opinion I don't think you could fault the G400 or 600 in their class
or price range.
Dave.

"Kokinho" wrote in message
om...
Hi Dave,

I just bought the G400 from:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...cts_id =98945

For £140 (£1.99 delivery) you can't go to wrong. The autofocus on the
G400 was better then any digital camera I have had in the past. You
could rapidly move your hand about and take photos and every shot
would be like you spent 10 seconds for the AF to come into play. You
couldn't do this with the Canon.

Regards,
Kokinho