Is Camera Theft from Luggage Common ?

Old October 13th 04, 04:14 PM
Magnusfarce

Default Is Camera Theft from Luggage Common ?

I travel a bit and am about to come into possession of a relatively
expensive camera. Because DSLR's are a bit bulky, I would need to pack the
camera in luggage rather than carry it on board (my briefcase, laptop, and
such maintain top priority as carryons). Even with current, stringent
luggage inspection requirements, I've not had any theft-from-luggage
problems in my travels. However, I've rarely kept such a juicy target in my
bags. What are people's experiences with the safety of their cameras in
checked luggage? (I'm talking about domestic, here. International travel
is a separate matter.)

- Magnusfarce

Old October 13th 04, 04:59 PM
Charlie Self

Magnusfarce asks:

I travel a bit and am about to come into possession of a relatively
expensive camera. Because DSLR's are a bit bulky, I would need to pack the
camera in luggage rather than carry it on board (my briefcase, laptop, and
such maintain top priority as carryons). Even with current, stringent
luggage inspection requirements, I've not had any theft-from-luggage
problems in my travels. However, I've rarely kept such a juicy target in my
bags. What are people's experiences with the safety of their cameras in
checked luggage?

Get a camera bag that will also take your computer. My cameras stay with me,
unless they're shipped fully insured. My guess is that most of the new transit
cops are honest. I know. though, that early background checks were poor, with
some people having felony convictions slipping through. That may not be so now,
but protecting against thievery is easy, if inconvenient, so why take any
chance at all that you might convert an honest person into a thief.

Charlie Self
"Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind
simultaneously, and accepting both of them." George Orwell

Old October 13th 04, 05:26 PM
BG250

Never put a camera in checked baggage! Chances are it will make it, but
chances are too high it will get stolen.
The heavy X-Ray dose may also effect the memory.
bg

Old October 13th 04, 05:29 PM
PTravel

Never, ever, ever pack valuables in checked luggage.

1. In the US, TSA requires that luggage be unlocked, or locked with special
locks to which, supposedly, they have the key. In practice, it's quite
likely your luggage will arrive at its destination open.

2. Checked luggage is subject to high-intensity x-ray -- far stronger than
what is used for carry-on. Do you want to risk your memory cards to such
exposure?

3. Airlines lose luggage. If you're lucky, your luggage will only be
delayed for a few days. Airlines' liability for lost luggage is limited and
will probably be exceeded by the cost of a good DSLR and a lens or two. If
you're travelling internationally, liability for lost luggage is controlled
by the Warsaw Convention, and goes by weight -- maximum compensation is
about $600.

4. Luggage handlers abuse checked luggage. It is thrown around, dropped
from heights, smashed together, etc.

5. Internationally, some airports are notorious for theft from luggage. If
you have a problem, how long do you think you will spend there to report it
to police and cooperate in the investigation (assuming any is made at all).

Old October 13th 04, 05:30 PM
Phil Stripling

"Magnusfarce" writes:

bags. What are people's experiences with the safety of their cameras in
checked luggage? (I'm talking about domestic, here. International travel
is a separate matter.)

There are thefts. Many people claim it's from the people scanning luggage
as well as baggage handlers. The airlines have liability limited to an
amount often smaller than the value of the camera. I would not check a
valuable camera unless I had it fully insured. I would not check a
valuable camera if I needed it upon arrival and had no quick way to replace
it, even if I had it insured. Generally, I would never check anything of
value.

Consider the inconvenience of bringing the bulky camera on board with you
versus the inconvenience of finding it's been stolen from your unlocked
checked bag.
Old October 13th 04, 05:36 PM
GT40

Is it common, no. But if it happens to you it doesn't matter. Never
check your camera gear in, have it as carry on or ship it insured. I
know some professionals that buy extra space in the cabin for long
lenses etc. You should check with the airline on thier policy.
Others ship it FedEx, and have it waiting at the airport they fly
into, so they can pick it up when they land.