Posing a glamour model

Old January 19th 04, 02:37 PM

Default Posing a glamour model

Hello all,

Is there any good online guides to posing models for glamour?

Also, could anyone recommend any good tips for getting a model to relax. My
girlfriend wanted me to take some glamour shots of her, which we proceeded
to do but then I couldn't get her to make an alluring facial expression. All
I got was shyness - and we've been together for 6 years!! Part of me thinks
that this would be less of a problem with a stranger .... is this generally
the case? Comments anyone?

I have also been asked if I could take some tasteful nudes of a pregnant
lady. Any tips would be appreciated.

Old January 20th 04, 03:55 AM
zeitgeist

Is there any good online guides to posing models for glamour?

I don't know about a site, but the Perrins used to have a decent book on
boudoir photography. but a good pose for a model is a good pose with or
w/o clothes. IE: look at most greek or roman statuary, and old masters
paintings with a nude.

do a search for Joseph Zeltsman who has some old tutorials about posing and
a system of deciding how and why to pose and light specific faces, its not a
bunch of rules but a systematic decision tree.

Also, could anyone recommend any good tips for getting a model to relax.

A. talk to them not your camera. you should be familiar enough with your
gear and what you are trying to do that you can keep up a running
conversation while doing what you are trying to do. If you are
inexperienced then its hard to do.

b. use feed back, in my film days I used a lot of polaroid, shoot one, show
it, discuss it, make suggestions, let them make suggestions. shoot another,
show it. and this draws the subject into the creative process, makes them a
partner in the creation of the image, they are not just a piece of meat to
be prodded but a participant. and for commissioned portraits, this makes
them far more willing to invest in it.

My
girlfriend wanted me to take some glamour shots of her, which we proceeded
to do but then I couldn't get her to make an alluring facial expression.

All
I got was shyness - and we've been together for 6 years!!

frankly shooting your own is the hardest subjects in the world. it really
is difficult. I think that was one of the few times my ex gf and I ever had
a screaming fight, another gf was a 'psychic' blinker well over 2/3rds of
all shots were blinks, and I was damn good at dealing with blinkers,
anticipating and waiting to shoot after a blink, hidding my trigger finger
etc. My brother always had this bizarre expression of someone about to
hurl.

Part of me thinks
that this would be less of a problem with a stranger .... is this

generally
the case? Comments anyone?

I have also been asked if I could take some tasteful nudes of a pregnant
lady. Any tips would be appreciated.

soft side lighting, remember you are lighting spherical shapes, loose clingy
fabrics

Old January 20th 04, 08:23 AM
Michael Quack

In article ,
Enter Your Full Name says...

Hello all,

Hello Enter,

Is there any good online guides to posing models for glamour?

Don't know any and don't think that such an animal can exist.
Trying to copy a pose instead of shaping one matching the
features of your model is almost guaranteed to fail.

Show what you like and feel flattering, don't show the rest.

Also, could anyone recommend any good tips for getting a
model to relax.

You have to know what you are doing. If your technique/gear
is a challenge to you, you are likely to fail. Only after
completely mastering the whole technique you are using
you can concentrate on the subject. Else you will always
be distracted by challenges and lose your concentration.

My girlfriend wanted me to take some glamour shots
of her, which we proceeded to do but then I couldn't
get her to make an alluring facial expression. All
I got was shyness - and we've been together for 6 years!!

And for how long have you been in photography?
She realized you were possibly not doing a perfect
job. You have to perform the technical part
like an instinct, then you are free to work with
your model like a film director, describe the
environment and mood she should feel like in.

If you can fuel her imagination (and don't fumble
around with your camera looking puzzled so much),
she might be able to follow that lead.

Part of me thinks that this would be less of
a problem with a stranger .... is this generally
the case?

Often.

I have also been asked if I could take some
tasteful nudes of a pregnant lady.

Yeah, the old cliché. The general consensus among
pregnancy picture fans seems to be that Anne Geddes
does well in that sector.

Visit her site to get an impression.

--
Michael Quack

http://www.photoquack.de/glamour/1.htm
http://www.photoquack.de/fashion/1.htm
Old January 20th 04, 09:27 AM

Thanks Michael and zeitgeist.

It's true that I don't know my equipment inside out - I probably spend too
much time looking at the preview screen to check the lighting which doesn't
help - maybe if I move the model less in relation to the lighting I can
start ignoring it a bit. Its all a learning experience. Maybe an audible
exposure warning would be a good addition to DSLRs for fools like me

Problem is that you have to get practice to get good - vicious circles and
all that. Who is going to want to pose for a bumbling fool like me except my
other half

"Michael Quack" wrote in message
Enter Your Full Name says...

Hello all,

Hello Enter,

Old January 20th 04, 04:54 PM
otzi

-It is said that you don't do business with friends and relatives. Well, the
same applies to photography, the serious stuff anyway. Your or any girl
friend tends to 'help out' rather than take it seriously. She's doing you a
favour so when you go beyond the snap phase and there is a degree of effort
required she will soon become bored unless of course she is as dedicated to
the photographic art as yourself. You will find this across the board.

This then leads into the other dilemma, with a girl friend at foot you will
find considerable opposition to the use of some other girl. It's a female
thing. Brother, you're in a jamb. About the only way to (safely) freely
photograph women is to be already doing this when you meet and the 'friend'
can either accept or reject you. To them it seems different, don't ask me,
it's a female thing.

Of course to have the friend be party to the creative process in some way so
long as her baggage and ideologies don't conflict with yourself is the best
way to travel.

Old January 21st 04, 06:23 PM
Allan - UKSweet.com - The British Adult Network

Model message board

Its doing very well.

Pop by and read/post

http://www.adultforums.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=uksweet

Old January 23rd 04, 04:21 AM
zeitgeist

It's true that I don't know my equipment inside out - I probably spend too
much time looking at the preview screen to check the lighting which

doesn't
help - maybe if I move the model less in relation to the lighting I can
start ignoring it a bit. Its all a learning experience. Maybe an audible
exposure warning would be a good addition to DSLRs for fools like me

here's a short cut, start with a large light source, and by large remember
my oft ranted concept of a wall of light imitating our favorite types of
outdoor natural lighting. You now have a wonderful, soft, semi directional
light that is very forgiving, doesn't require accurate metering each time
you move something, nor careful placement of the highlights.

Now you can concentrate on the subject.

Problem is that you have to get practice to get good - vicious circles and
all that. Who is going to want to pose for a bumbling fool like me except

my
other half

frankly strangers are still probably you're best bet, they don't discover
your an idiot till they are well into the session whereas your GF/SO/DP
already knows it in advance.

Like I said, the worst fights I ever had with my SO was during photo shoots.

the only thing worse than family for portrait subjects is.....

another photographer.

Old February 3rd 04, 03:51 AM
Lionel

Kibo informs me that "zeitgeist" stated that:

do a search for Joseph Zeltsman who has some old tutorials about posing and
a system of deciding how and why to pose and light specific faces, its not a
bunch of rules but a systematic decision tree.

His website is great! - I checked it out after someone here recommended
it a while back, & I found it a wealth of really good advice.

Also, could anyone recommend any good tips for getting a model to relax.

A. talk to them not your camera. you should be familiar enough with your
gear and what you are trying to do that you can keep up a running
conversation while doing what you are trying to do. If you are
inexperienced then its hard to do.

nods

What I find works well is to start off just chatting to them while
taking some test shots, then start making *positive* comments on their
pose/look as you pose them. "Oh yes! - Your smile's perfect, keep on
doing that!", "Great! - That angle really shows off those gorgeous
eyes!" etc. Every woman looks more attractive with a happy, confident
smile, so if you can make her happy & confident, you both end up with
better photos.

Most of their initial nervousness (at least, with the amateurs I shoot),
is because they think that you (or the camera) will be showing up all
the flaws that they're trying to conceal from the world. Sometimes
(depends on the person), it can be helpful to explain to them in advance
that even the best models have flaws, & that it's the job of the
photographer to 'conceal' them, or even to turn them into assets.

My
girlfriend wanted me to take some glamour shots of her, which we proceeded
to do but then I couldn't get her to make an alluring facial expression.

All
I got was shyness - and we've been together for 6 years!!

If it makes you feel any better, my GF is very camera shy, despite being
extremely attractive. When we first met, she'd hide if I got out a
camera. It's nearly a year later, & she's much less shy about it. I have
a pet theory that now that she's seen me taking photos of other girls,
she's gaining confidence she can trust my judgement as to her best
angle, etc.

Old February 3rd 04, 04:02 AM
Lionel

Kibo informs me that "otzi" stated that:

-It is said that you don't do business with friends and relatives. Well, the
same applies to photography, the serious stuff anyway. Your or any girl
friend tends to 'help out' rather than take it seriously. She's doing you a
favour so when you go beyond the snap phase and there is a degree of effort
required she will soon become bored unless of course she is as dedicated to
the photographic art as yourself. You will find this across the board.

This then leads into the other dilemma, with a girl friend at foot you will
find considerable opposition to the use of some other girl. It's a female
thing. Brother, you're in a jamb. About the only way to (safely) freely
photograph women is to be already doing this when you meet and the 'friend'
can either accept or reject you. To them it seems different, don't ask me,
it's a female thing.

It's about their perception of what your motivation is for doing
photography. If they think that you do it to get pictures of pretty
girls, they'll be hostile, if they think that shooting pretty girls is
part of what you do as a photographer, then they're unlikely to have a
problem with it - particularly if they see you doing a shoot &
conducting yourself in a very professional, 'hands off' manner.

(Just quietly, I've also found it helpful to discuss the model's flaws
with the GF after the shoot, ostensibly to explain the angles & lighting
techniques you used to ameliorate them. Try not to lay it on too thick
though, or she'll catch on to your game.

Of course to have the friend be party to the creative process in some way so
long as her baggage and ideologies don't conflict with yourself is the best
way to travel.

Yep, very true.