newspapers selling photographic prints

Old March 24th 05, 03:33 PM
Lloyd Erlick

Default newspapers selling photographic prints

mar2405 from Lloyd Erlick,

I've been meaning to ask a question lately.

Newspapers these days are offering for sale what the
advertising copy says are 'silver gelatin' prints of
pictures from their archives. I've seen such ads in the
New York Times, Globe and Mail and Toronto Star.

They do not specify anything further about the manner
of production of these prints. They could be made on FB
(fiber base), RC (resin coated) materials, or even, I
suppose, laser-output from digital files onto either FB
or RC.

Does anyone know how the NYT, for example, produces
these prints?

regards,
--le
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326
email:
net:
www.heylloyd.com
________________________________

Old March 24th 05, 04:10 PM
Jean-David Beyer

Lloyd Erlick wrote:
mar2405 from Lloyd Erlick,

I've been meaning to ask a question lately.

Newspapers these days are offering for sale what the advertising copy
says are 'silver gelatin' prints of pictures from their archives. I've
seen such ads in the New York Times, Globe and Mail and Toronto Star.

They do not specify anything further about the manner of production of
these prints. They could be made on FB (fiber base), RC (resin coated)
materials, or even, I suppose, laser-output from digital files onto
either FB or RC.

Does anyone know how the NYT, for example, produces these prints?

I do not know for sure, but the term silver-gelatin is normally reserved
for the normal black and white prints made by shining light on silver
halide crystals suspended in gelatine, developing the latent image so
produced, fixing out the unused silver halide, washing, possibly toning,
washing, and drying. This is usually done on paper or plastic coated paper.

I do not think it proper to call a laser print a silver-gelatin print.

^^-^^ 11:05:00 up 63 days, 19:23, 3 users, load average: 5.47, 5.30, 5.10

Old March 24th 05, 04:55 PM
Wayne

You obviously havent been following the flame threads recently.
they can call it whatever they want to...Meaning is whatever you want
it to be

Old March 24th 05, 04:55 PM
Wayne

Old March 24th 05, 05:17 PM
Jean-David Beyer

Wayne wrote:
You obviously havent been following the flame threads recently.
they can call it whatever they want to...Meaning is whatever you want
it to be

True, I get tired of threads with over about a dozen posts in them.

While you are right that words mean at most what the person employing them
wants them to mean, to call something not made by a silver-gelatin process
a silver-gelatin print would surely be a deception.

In the past, museums called prints platinum prints, palladium prints,
silver-gelatin prints, albumin prints, gum-bichromate prints,
ferro-prussate prints, etc., so that viewers and collectors would know the
process used to make them. If you misuse the terms, you are either
displaying your ignorance, or trying to defraud.

^^-^^ 12:10:00 up 63 days, 20:28, 3 users, load average: 4.29, 4.18, 4.26

Old March 25th 05, 04:37 PM
Bernie

I do not know for sure, but the term silver-gelatin is normally reserved
for the normal black and white prints made by shining light on silver
halide crystals suspended in gelatine, developing the latent image so
produced, fixing out the unused silver halide, washing, possibly toning,
washing, and drying. This is usually done on paper or plastic coated
paper.

I do not think it proper to call a laser print a silver-gelatin print.

You are thinking of laser printing on a fused toner type of device, and I
agree, toner fused to a sheet of paper is not a silver-gelatin print.
However, there are now many digital printing devices (Noritsu and Agfa
minilabs, Fuji Frontiers, Durst and Lightjet laser printers)which use red,
green, and blue lasers to expose silver halide photographic papers, both
color and B&W. A B&W print from one of these photographic laser printers
would be a true silver gelatin print, exposed by light, and processed in
standard photographic chemicals.

With digitized images, many labs are now just printing B&W as a B&W image on
color paper. Since that image is composed of dyes, I would not classify it
as silver-gelatin.

Kodak makes a Digital B&W paper specifically for use on a Durst laser
printer/processor. This is an RC based paper, not fiber base. The images I
have seen from this are indistinguishable from a regular enlarger exposed RC
print, unless you put a loupe to it. Then, instead of grain, you can see the
fine scan lines where the lasers "painted" the image.

Old March 26th 05, 02:39 AM
Wayne

Bernie wrote:
[...]

Jean, I give you "Exhibit A". The fact that the term is already used by
many precisely forthe reason of distinguishing their work from
digital work proves that anything goes.