Pentax *st DS : Realistic release date?

Old November 18th 04, 01:09 AM
Spanyardo

Default Pentax *st DS : Realistic release date?

Hi all,

This camera has yet to show up on the B&H website so how long before the
general release date you reckon?

I hope the pricing is competitve with the Canon 300D (Rebel).

TIA

Old November 18th 04, 03:23 AM
BobS

Let's see if this helps you any in judging an availability date.

Ordered a new macro lens for my Pentax *istD (100mm F2.8) in Aug, told it
would be available 15 Sept and just today I got an email from my local
camera shop saying that Pentax told him they're shipping it this week. Last
time they told him they were shipping my flash unit "this week", it took 30
days to get to Syracuse from Colorado.

You can call their Customer Service (or email them) and see if they have any
info. Every time I called or emailed, they blamed Japan and had no firm
dates.

So I'd say - about 3 to 4 months yet as a guess based on past experience.

Bob S.

Old November 18th 04, 04:23 AM
Spanyardo

"BobS" wrote in message

You can call their Customer Service (or email them) and see if they have

any
info. Every time I called or emailed, they blamed Japan and had no firm
dates.

So I'd say - about 3 to 4 months yet as a guess based on past experience.

Thanks mate. I would've thought that it would be imperative to ensure the
camera is ready for delivery during the holiday season. I don't think they
will lose many of the Pentax die hards but I only have a few lenses so it
may not hurt too much if I go with Canon.

Old November 18th 04, 04:30 AM
Darrell Larose

In Canada at the store I work at our price is within a few dollars of the
Digital Rebel. The price here is CDN $1,350.00 vs. $1,300.oo for the 300D

Old November 18th 04, 04:32 AM
Darrell Larose

"Spanyardo" wrote in message

"BobS" wrote in message

You can call their Customer Service (or email them) and see if they have

any
info. Every time I called or emailed, they blamed Japan and had no firm
dates.

So I'd say - about 3 to 4 months yet as a guess based on past

experience.

Thanks mate. I would've thought that it would be imperative to ensure the
camera is ready for delivery during the holiday season. I don't think they
will lose many of the Pentax die hards but I only have a few lenses so it
may not hurt too much if I go with Canon.

I am hoping to see hem at the store this week. I own a * ist D so I'll let
you know what I think of the little brother.

Old November 19th 04, 09:38 PM
Magnus W

"Darrell Larose" wrote in
:

I am hoping to see hem at the store this week. I own a * ist D so I'll
let you know what I think of the little brother.

I suspect you might be disappointed, especially if you have owned a higher-
class film Pentax too. It is made to compete with 300D and it shows in
every way. I'd keep the *ist D and wait for the replacement... :-/

(I'm a former Pentax photographer, by the way, and I still take lots of
pictures with Super Takumars ;-)
Old November 20th 04, 02:25 AM
Darrell Larose

"Magnus W" wrote in message
. ..
"Darrell Larose" wrote in
:

I am hoping to see hem at the store this week. I own a * ist D so I'll
let you know what I think of the little brother.

I suspect you might be disappointed, especially if you have owned a

higher-
class film Pentax too. It is made to compete with 300D and it shows in
every way. I'd keep the *ist D and wait for the replacement... :-/

(I'm a former Pentax photographer, by the way, and I still take lots of
pictures with Super Takumars ;-)

I am not planning to replace either my * ist D or my LX equipment, however I
do sell cameras and the * ist DS has good reviews and priced the same as a
Drebel, which one do you think I'll sell?

Old November 20th 04, 12:29 PM
Magnus W

" Darrell Larose" wrote in
:

I am not planning to replace either my * ist D or my LX equipment,
however I do sell cameras and the * ist DS has good reviews and priced
the same as a Drebel, which one do you think I'll sell?

Ah, I didn't know that. Point taken ;-)
Old November 21st 04, 08:40 AM
Jock

Magnus W wrote:

They boast December here in Australia for the DS release.
Wait & see I suppose.
Jock