Are You Being Spammed?

Old March 7th 04, 03:42 AM
David Nebenzahl

Default Are You Being Spammed?

I just got an unsolicited email (therefore spam) that I suspect might have
come from someone reading this newsgroup. It's an invitation from someone
named LaMar Larsen to participate in a juried show by the Portneuf Valley
Photographic Society in Pocatello, Idaho. Has anyone else gotten this?

I'm tempted to call him up, and definitely would if it were an 800 number.

--
The Bush administration should restrain itself from its imperial arrogance
that has so alienated countries around the world. Their contempt for the

- Excerpt from TransAfrica statement on the situation in Haiti, 2/17/04
(http://www.transafricaforum.org/)

Old March 7th 04, 05:33 AM
jjs

In article , David Nebenzahl
wrote:

I just got an unsolicited email (therefore spam) that I suspect might have
come from someone reading this newsgroup. It's an invitation from someone
named LaMar Larsen to participate in a juried show by the Portneuf Valley
Photographic Society in Pocatello, Idaho. Has anyone else gotten this?

The toy camera guy? Whew. Too strange.
Old March 7th 04, 02:41 PM
Leonard Evens

David Nebenzahl wrote:
I just got an unsolicited email (therefore spam) that I suspect might
have come from someone reading this newsgroup. It's an invitation from
someone named LaMar Larsen to participate in a juried show by the
Portneuf Valley Photographic Society in Pocatello, Idaho. Has anyone
else gotten this?

Are you aware that a lot of spam comes with forged return email
addresses? It is possible to detect the actual source if you know how
to do it, but the return address is meaningless.

I'm tempted to call him up, and definitely would if it were an 800 number.

Old March 7th 04, 08:50 PM
David Nebenzahl

On 3/7/2004 6:41 AM Leonard Evens spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

I just got an unsolicited email (therefore spam) that I suspect might
have come from someone reading this newsgroup. It's an invitation from
someone named LaMar Larsen to participate in a juried show by the
Portneuf Valley Photographic Society in Pocatello, Idaho. Has anyone
else gotten this?

Are you aware that a lot of spam comes with forged return email
addresses? It is possible to detect the actual source if you know how
to do it, but the return address is meaningless.

Yes, I realize this (and certainly suffer from it--got a bounce message just
recently from a spam message that "I" sent out), but considering the content
of this message--it really was for a photo exhibition--I think it was he
himself. Even came with phone numbers.