Sony DRM Is this guy for real?

Old November 19th 05, 10:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Sony DRM Is this guy for real?

Full link
http://www.bbspot.com/News/2005/11/s...o_sharing.html

Quotes from remarks on DRM in new Sony camera.

"People are sharing pictures all over the Internet without regard to
copyright and trademarks. Just the other day I saw a Halloween photo of
a kid dressed up like Yoda. Don't they know that Yoda's image is wholly
owned by Lucasarts? That behavior needs to be stopped," said Sony Vice
president of Copyright Protection Clay Wilkerson.

Wilkerson doesn't think the lack of photo sharing capabilities will hurt
the sales of their digital cameras. "We've hidden the protection so the
consumers won't notice it when they buy it, and our draconian return
policy will prevent any returns. Problem solved."

Well, Sony has always wanted to have the whole pie, but this is going
just a bit too far. I promise that if I bought such a camera, and found
this limitation, it would be returned, along with a letter explaining
just what they can do with their camera, and a suggestion for where to
put it, and how to turn it for insertion.

--
Ron Hunter
Old November 19th 05, 10:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Ron Hunter wrote:

[...]

Apparently it's some sort of spoof
--
Paul (Dear Sir, I have a complaint)
Stop and Look
Old November 19th 05, 11:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 04:47:19 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:

[...]

Yes, this is all true.

What is not mentioned is that, not only is sharing stopped, but the computer monitor will shut down
if more than 3 people are viewing.

Old November 19th 05, 01:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article ,
Ron Hunter wrote:
Full link
http://www.bbspot.com/News/2005/11/s...o_sharing.html

Quotes from remarks on DRM in new Sony camera.

"People are sharing pictures all over the Internet without regard to
copyright and trademarks. Just the other day I saw a Halloween photo of
a kid dressed up like Yoda. Don't they know that Yoda's image is wholly
owned by Lucasarts? That behavior needs to be stopped," said Sony Vice
president of Copyright Protection Clay Wilkerson.

Wilkerson doesn't think the lack of photo sharing capabilities will hurt
the sales of their digital cameras. "We've hidden the protection so the
consumers won't notice it when they buy it, and our draconian return
policy will prevent any returns. Problem solved."

Well, Sony has always wanted to have the whole pie, but this is going
just a bit too far.

Sounds like satire to me. Sony does deserve something of a metaphorical
kicking over their recent behaviour though, especially now it's looking like
they may have been less than scrupulous with other people's intellectual
property, allegedly incorporated into their "rootkit".
Old November 19th 05, 04:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 09:29:19 -0600, "Lorem Ipsum"
wrote:

Wilkerson: "We've hidden the protection so the consumers won't notice it
when they buy it, and our draconian return policy will prevent any returns.
Problem solved."

If that quote is true, the either Wilkerson wants to kill Sony and to be
fired. If the quote is false, then Sony has a picture-perfect libel case to
make.

Neither. The quote is parody. However the parody is in this case
painfully close to the reality. See the thread "Is this a hoax?"

--
Stephen Poley
Old November 19th 05, 04:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Lorem Ipsum" wrote in message
Wilkerson: "We've hidden the protection so the consumers won't notice it
when they buy it, and our draconian return policy will prevent any
returns. Problem solved."

If that quote is true, the either Wilkerson wants to kill Sony and to be
fired. If the quote is false, then Sony has a picture-perfect libel case
to make.

As with everything else about the Internet, you have to be very careful
about what you believe to be true. "Anyone" can post "anything" on the
Internet without any clearing house to determine the veracity of the facts.
I say post, but it includes any URL that has supposed facts. Some of these
sites are so professional that you believe what you read without really
thinking about the source. There are usually ridiculous statements though,
that are buried in the article that give it away, such as the one you
quoted. You immediately know that the statement is so far out in left field
that it is not true, so the entire article is garbage.

Don

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 19th 05, 04:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:

[...]

From the "About" page:
"Called "the world's greatest tech humour site" by The Register,
BBspot creates entertainment for the geekier side of the world."
As a matter of fact, it's the first sentence on that page.
So, yes, I would guess that it's a spoof.
--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"
Old November 19th 05, 08:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Ron Hunter wrote:
[...]

I'm surprised they didn't include the fact that the camera has a built in
stun gun, which incapacitates the shooter if it senses that a copyrighted
subject is being photographed...

Old November 19th 05, 09:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:

[...]

From the "About" page:
"Called "the world's greatest tech humour site" by The Register,
BBspot creates entertainment for the geekier side of the world."
As a matter of fact, it's the first sentence on that page.
So, yes, I would guess that it's a spoof.

Unfortunately, it appears to be not entirely a spoof. The part about
the 'rootkit' appears to be right.

--
Ron Hunter
Old November 19th 05, 09:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

ASAAR wrote:
On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 04:47:19 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:

Wilkerson doesn't think the lack of photo sharing capabilities will hurt
the sales of their digital cameras. "We've hidden the protection so the
consumers won't notice it when they buy it, and our draconian return
policy will prevent any returns. Problem solved."

Well, Sony has always wanted to have the whole pie, but this is going
just a bit too far. I promise that if I bought such a camera, and found
this limitation, it would be returned, along with a letter explaining
just what they can do with their camera, and a suggestion for where to
put it, and how to turn it for insertion.

It's amazing how so many people could accept the Wilkerson quote
as being legitimate. In an attempt to take advantage of the
public's increasingly high gullibility level, the Onion commissioned
a study to determine what these so easily fooled people had in
common. To their surprise, a clear profile emerged, and it has been
identified in a story in their latest issue. Since the overwhelming
majority shared two traits, the entire group has been labeled as
"Texans for Bush". Who'da thunk it?

"Fool me once . . . Won't get fooled again!" -- Shrubby-poo.

Why do you have to convert every thread you enter into a Bush bashing?
Could it be lack of understanding, or just stupidity?

--
Ron Hunter