Kodak DX6340 jpg size very small at max res.

Old December 29th 04, 09:54 PM
aussieworker

Default Kodak DX6340 jpg size very small at max res.

Just a query for anyone with one of these 4MP cameras.
The image size at max resolution is below 1MB. This has me a little puzzled
as my 5MP Canon produces files typically over 2MB.

I am wondering if Kodak's jpg image compression is more severe than most.
Leading me into the question of to what detriment to picture quality.

Tony

Old December 29th 04, 10:17 PM
Michael Colavito

Tony,

I have the same camera and with the resolution set to maximum (which is
3.2MP, not 4) I have noticed that file size varies. Some pics are less than
1MB, but some are larger than 1MB. I haven't figured out why this is yet.
Quality seems the same. I have to
look into this. I wonder, would pics taken vertically be different than
horizontals in terms of file size?

Mike

Old December 29th 04, 11:10 PM
Ben Thomas

aussieworker wrote:
Just a query for anyone with one of these 4MP cameras.
The image size at max resolution is below 1MB. This has me a little puzzled
as my 5MP Canon produces files typically over 2MB.

I am wondering if Kodak's jpg image compression is more severe than most.
Leading me into the question of to what detriment to picture quality.

Tony

I have the 4MP DX6490. Kodak uses "very clever" jpeg compression algorithm which
usually results in 500k file sizes. Occasionally I get 1.5MB files when there
isn't much sky or grass.

IMHO they overcompress sky, grass, and even skin tones if you're doing a
close-up portrait.

If you take a landscape with a lot of detail the compression is much less.

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
given nor endorsed by it.
Old December 30th 04, 06:55 PM
Amyotte

I have the same camera and with the resolution set to maximum (which is
3.2MP, not 4) I have noticed that file size varies. Some pics are less
than
1MB, but some are larger than 1MB. I haven't figured out why this is yet.

The amount of light and color increase the file size. When I take an astro
picture with my telescope the file size is very small. Example a moon
picture is under 200k and Saturn is about 50k.

Brian