Post Custom White Balance

Old November 2nd 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just Shoot Me[_2_]

Default Post Custom White Balance

Tomorrow I am going to try and get a few of those grey carbs - maybe 3.
I can easily break down the temperature light into 3 sections.

1. when the sun comes directly into the room and hits a wall.
2. a little more in where the wall is still well lit
3. shady parts of the wall.

I could probably get away with only 1 in the middle of the room but I would
like
to see just how much the temperature changes - Well I know the temp changes
during the day
I am just not sure if the temperature changes from direct sun to no direct
sun light.

I could also average the 3 temps and see if that matches the middle card -
number 2.

I will be doing the White Balance in Photoshop because I feel it will make
things faster out in the field.

Tom

Old November 3rd 07, 05:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Douglas[_3_]

"Just Shoot Me" wrote in message
Tomorrow I am going to try and get a few of those grey carbs - maybe 3.
I can easily break down the temperature light into 3 sections.

1. when the sun comes directly into the room and hits a wall.
2. a little more in where the wall is still well lit
3. shady parts of the wall.

I could probably get away with only 1 in the middle of the room but I
would like
to see just how much the temperature changes - Well I know the temp
changes during the day
I am just not sure if the temperature changes from direct sun to no direct
sun light.

I could also average the 3 temps and see if that matches the middle card -
number 2.

I will be doing the White Balance in Photoshop because I feel it will make
things faster out in the field.

Tom

How do you propose to "White Balance in Photoshop"? The only settings for
doing this are either you choosing a white object with the eye dropper or
letting the program "guess" the correct WB. Neither are great alternatives
unless you want to destroy any semblance of the mood or colour of the day.

The notion that white balance in photography is constant is just plain
wrong. The "colour of the day" is about the only way to visually describe a
mood in a Photograph. If you intend to have white look exactly white in all
your photos, they'll end up with the boring sameness of colour that you can
get from most mini labs.

I often shoot events throughout the day and find that deciding on a mid
point WB the day before and setting the camera to that (often around 4750K),
http://www.weddingsnportraits.com.au...s/23-08-07.htm

My photos shot in the early morning and late afternoon can be identified as
such because of the mellow tone they inherit from the time of day.

I also use a tinted speedlite diffuser to soften the colours indoors at
receptions and the like after deciding on a base colour by using a
"whitecap" lens cover which helps level out the mixed lighting colours these
places often have. Perhaps if you use a white balance diffuser yourself, you
can avoid odd colours in a scene artificially altering the scene's actual
colour?

Douglas

Old November 3rd 07, 11:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Celcius

"Annika1980" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 2, 6:30 pm, "Just Shoot Me" wrote:
Tomorrow I am going to try and get a few of those grey carbs - maybe 3.

I will be doing the White Balance in Photoshop because I feel it will
make
things faster out in the field.

Tom

WhiBal says hi.

I vouch for that.
I have the small one as well as the 4 x 6 version, the latter to take as a
reference shot for my Canon D30 and use the "custom white balance". I had
used other grey cards before, but this one is the best. I also shoot in Raw.
Marcel

Old November 5th 07, 12:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just Shoot Me[_2_]

"Annika1980" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 2, 6:30 pm, "Just Shoot Me" wrote:
Tomorrow I am going to try and get a few of those grey carbs - maybe 3.

I will be doing the White Balance in Photoshop because I feel it will
make
things faster out in the field.

Tom

WhiBal says hi.

Found some pretty good videos when I goggled WhiBal.

Old November 5th 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just Shoot Me[_2_]

[...]

I choose a white object with the eye dropper. Alot of times I use alot of
the options available
in camera raw just to see what gives the best results.
How I will do it in the future - still remains to be seen. Every year I
will have less and less apartments to photograph, pictures to edit and
pressentations to create. and will have more time for other things.

The only settings for doing this are either you choosing a white object
with the eye dropper or letting the program "guess" the correct WB. Neither
are great alternatives unless you want to destroy any semblance of the mood
or colour of the day.

life is about balance and that balance always changes.
I am already happy with the pictures for what I do with them.
at the same time I would like to learn more about it and no matter what
why I end up doing the custom white balance, I eventually will try them all.

Tom

Old November 5th 07, 12:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Celcius

[...]

To see what it's all about:
http://www.whibalhost.com/_Tutorials.../01/index.html

I found it useful, specially indoors without flash. You can do 2 things:
1- Take a photo where the card reflects the same light as the subject (ie. a
museum, a church), then take all other similar shots. In Photoshop, you then
use the photo with the grey card to WB (the middle eye dropper). With RAW,
it's done another way.
2- With my Canon, I take a photo of the 4x6 card in the same light as the
ambient lighting, then I set my camera to "custom WB" and click away. If
light isn't the same, I change the custom WB the same way.

In another post, I showed photos of Ikebana (flower show) where I used the
Whibal:
http://picasaweb.google.fr/cosmar38/Ikebana2007

I suppose there are other ways, especially if you're a good photographer,
but in my case, I find that if I shoot RAW (it took me a very long time to
get around to that) and when I'm nor sure that my camera WB (sunny, cloudy,
etc) is the right choice, I use the whibal. Geberally, I find my photos are
less yellowish ;-) and truer to what I saw.
Of course, Whibal is definitely not a panacea. Take care,

Marcel

Old November 5th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just Shoot Me[_2_]

"Douglas" wrote in message

The notion that white balance in photography is constant is just plain
wrong. The "colour of the day" is about the only way to visually describe
a mood in a Photograph. If you intend to have white look exactly white in
all your photos, they'll end up with the boring sameness of colour that
you can get from most mini labs.

it might be a skill level thing but right now when the whites look white I
am
happier with the results.

I would love to see the results of someone much better than me at
photography
showing a side by side comparison of indoor photography where in one the
whites look white
and the other doing something like you mention above.

Out doors I would be more then willing to mess with colors.

I often shoot events throughout the day and find that deciding on a mid
point WB the day before and setting the camera to that (often around
4750K), http://www.weddingsnportraits.com.au...s/23-08-07.htm

First of all I do want to thank you for the constructive criticism.

very nice pictures.
I have been doing reading on color temperature but dont really know how to
set my camera
up for that yet. I am just now starting to get off the presets and will do
the best I can to become
better at photography, database design and admin and also web site building.
right now compared to others all are very poor but get the job done for me.

My photos shot in the early morning and late afternoon can be identified
as such because of the mellow tone they inherit from the time of day.

I also use a tinted speedlite diffuser to soften the colours indoors at
receptions and the like after deciding on a base colour by using a
"whitecap" lens cover which helps level out the mixed lighting colours
these places often have. Perhaps if you use a white balance diffuser
yourself, you can avoid odd colours in a scene artificially altering the
scene's actual colour?

Douglas

I never heard of a white cap but being some apartments have mixed lighting
it is probably something I should have.

I would love to see what you would do in a living of a home changing the
scene's actual colors.
every that happens to me it looks like crap but cant help but wonder how
nice it would be to be able to change
colors and have things look better.

Tom

Old November 5th 07, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pat

On Nov 5, 11:31 am, "Just Shoot Me"
wrote:
"Douglas" wrote in message

[...]

You have to rethink your "white is white" argument. There are very
few true whites or grays in the world. They all have some color to
them. And as you desaturate, all colors turn to white.

Think of a big ball. One part (one very small part), at the equator
is blue. 120 degrees away, another point is red. 120 degrees away is
yellow. At the top is pure white. At the bottom is pure black. Your
gray-scale goes right down the middle of the ball (and you can't see
it). Tints are above the equator. Shades are below the equator.
Tones are anything not on the surface. The equator is your pure
colors.

Now at some point, near the top you're looking at a white rug or dress
or something. This is in 3 dimensions. Only a point in the line
connecting white and black do you find grays, so if the point isn't
right there, then it has color in it. By changing the white balance,
or warming it, you're just moving the color location of that not-as-
white-as -you-thought object but all the time, the white stay white
and this still looks white, just warmer or cooler.

(There is a minor problem with this color space because it is missing
a dimension, but we'll ignore that for now).

Old November 5th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just Shoot Me[_2_]

"Pat" wrote in message
[...]

there are a few ways that white balance can be adjusted.
what would you recommend as a way for a newbie to do it and also
how do you do it.

Tom