Hasselblad Auxiliary shutter question

Old April 8th 04, 05:09 AM
rolento

Default Hasselblad Auxiliary shutter question

hi all,

Wanted to but a hassy for the longest time and comparing with the
bronica sqb.

Got hands on on both bodies, but I realize something different when i
realease the shutter.

The SBQ releases the shutter in "one sound", as in when i press the
shutter, the shutter and closes EVEN IF I still presses on the shutter
button.

On the other hand, the hassy, release the shutter after i press the
button, BUT there is another sound after i let go of the shutter
button. people have told me its because the hassy and a auxiliary
shutter, and the second sound is the rear curtain coming down

My question is, what is the rationale of the hassy shutter system?
maybe i am just used to hearing 1 sound from camera for the shutter.
IS there a significant difference in the shutters in the SQB and a
hassy?

Thanks in advance
Old April 8th 04, 04:42 PM
jjs

"rolento" wrote in message
om...
[...]
My question is, what is the rationale of the hassy shutter system?
[...]

The second curtain keeps any light that may get around the mirror from
fogging the film.

Old April 9th 04, 02:56 AM
Bob Monaghan

I guess the rationale for the hassy aux (rear) shutter is both to protect
the film from light until the mirror can be moved and viewfinder light
blocked etc., and second to provide an auxiliary shutter for other uses

the early 500c bodies even had a flash synch PC terminal on the body which
was connected so as to trigger the flash when the aux shutter was fully
open. So this really is an auxilliary shutter in the original design
;-)

Using macro or in a darkened studio (where ghost images would not be
an issue), you could use the aux shutter with oddball lenses mounted on
bellows or other mountings, even though the lens might lack a leaf
shutter. Without this feature, you have to supply a leaf shutter with
these bodies, as they otherwise lack a focal plane shutter, yes? ;-)

The disadvantage is that you had only a slow shutter speed (like
1/15th to 1/25th second downward) that was hard to control manually. That
doesn't matter in a darkened studio using flash lighting, e.g., for macro
work, so it was a solution for some types of work...

But this speed can easily be extended, using neutral density filters to
multiple seconds, which are easy to count. This is great if you want to
use your old 500c outdoors with oddball lenses in a bellows adapter etc.
provided you aren't shooting moving but static subjects like landscapes.
Hasselblad had some machinable metal mount adapters early on for this etc.

The feature was dropped from the later production models as not in demand?
nowadays, most folks would simply get the focal plane hassy bodies with a
full range of speeds and ability to mount odd-ball lenses easily.

some related discussion is at http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/budgetblad.html

hth bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *
********************Standard Disclaimers Apply*************************
Old April 9th 04, 06:09 AM
rolento

Yes, i understand that. I also know that the Bronica SQB has the 2nd
curtain as well but it covers instantly after exposure is made. Why is
it that for the hassy the 2nd curtain only close up after i releases
the shutter button? is there some kind of protection rationale in
these? or is it just old design?

"jjs" wrote in message ...
"rolento" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Old April 9th 04, 05:23 PM
jjs

"Bob Monaghan" wrote in message
[...]
the early 500c bodies even had a flash synch PC terminal on the body which
was connected so as to trigger the flash when the aux shutter was fully
open. So this really is an auxilliary shutter in the original design
;-)

I can hardly believe I _forgot_ all about that. Been a long time since I
cared. I believe Hasselblad also had a flash-powder relay for that synch
plug. It was part of a kit that also included ortho and pan cake makeup.
(Yes, there was such a thing as orthocake.)

Old April 9th 04, 06:07 PM
jjs

"rolento" wrote in message
om...
Yes, i understand that. I also know that the Bronica SQB has the 2nd
curtain as well but it covers instantly after exposure is made. Why is
it that for the hassy the 2nd curtain only close up after i releases
the shutter button? is there some kind of protection rationale in
these? or is it just old design?

It is an old design. New photographers accustomed to auto-everything might
find the 500c awkward.

See the following picture from the manual. It's worse than you think.

http://wind.winona.edu/~stafford/timecatch.jpg

And then there is the famous Hasselblad Lens Jam problem. I got my second
'blad cheap because the owner thought the lens was hopelessly jammed. I
fixed it 30 seconds after I handed him the cash. I use it almost
exclusively in pre-fire mode: what Hasselblad called "Speed Up Mode". The
term still makes me chuckle.

All said, I really like the 500c and 500c/m, but I'm accustomed to the
model.

Best,
John

Old April 9th 04, 10:49 PM
Randall Ainsworth

the early 500c bodies even had a flash synch PC terminal on the body which
was connected so as to trigger the flash when the aux shutter was fully
open. So this really is an auxilliary shutter in the original design
;-)

I can hardly believe I _forgot_ all about that. Been a long time since I
cared. I believe Hasselblad also had a flash-powder relay for that synch
plug. It was part of a kit that also included ortho and pan cake makeup.
(Yes, there was such a thing as orthocake.)

Not only do I have a 500C/M that has that sync connector, but I've also
got the little hook that goes in the hole next to the sync connector to
hold the PC cable.
Old April 9th 04, 10:57 PM
Bob Salomon

In article ,
Randall Ainsworth wrote:

the early 500c bodies even had a flash synch PC terminal on the body which
was connected so as to trigger the flash when the aux shutter was fully
open. So this really is an auxilliary shutter in the original design
;-)

I can hardly believe I _forgot_ all about that. Been a long time since I
cared. I believe Hasselblad also had a flash-powder relay for that synch
plug. It was part of a kit that also included ortho and pan cake makeup.
(Yes, there was such a thing as orthocake.)

Not only do I have a 500C/M that has that sync connector, but I've also
got the little hook that goes in the hole next to the sync connector to
hold the PC cable.

Then you also probably have the two small holes, one by the shutter
release and the other on the right side that were originally supposed to
accept a motor that never came.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old April 9th 04, 10:58 PM
Q.G. de Bakker

rolento wrote:

Yes, i understand that. I also know that the Bronica SQB has the 2nd
curtain as well but it covers instantly after exposure is made. Why is
it that for the hassy the 2nd curtain only close up after i releases
the shutter button? is there some kind of protection rationale in
these? or is it just old design?

There is absolutely no link between auxillary shutter and leaf shutter. The
release of both is timed and triggered by the mechanism in the camera, but
the camera does not know (no mechanical feedback. No electronics, period)
when the shutter in the lens has closed again. The simple and robust way to
"solve" this problem is by controlling the closing of the auxillary shuter
by finger pressu as long as you keep the release depressed, the auxillary
shutter stays open. (Important to know, since you can terminate exposure
prematurely by letting go of the release button too soon, allowing the
auxillary shutter to slam shut before the lens shutter completed the preset
exposure. Only can happen using shutterspeeds slower than 1/8).

They could have tried to design a mechanical feedback, the shutter in the
lens telling the body when the it has closed again, releasing a pal blocking
the rear auxillary shutter mechanism. They however haven't done so. I guess
it would have complicated the mechanism (making it less robust) without
making very much sense, really.

Old April 9th 04, 11:01 PM
Q.G. de Bakker

jjs wrote:

[...] I use it almost
exclusively in pre-fire mode: what Hasselblad called "Speed Up Mode". The
term still makes me chuckle.

Well, it reduces "shutter lag" from approx. 75 ms to about 10 ms... ;-)