Image info to MS Excel

Old September 26th 16, 03:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

Default Image info to MS Excel

"BrJohan" wrote

| Anyone aware of some software (Windows 10) that can help me transfer a
| set of image characteristics (filename, size in pixels, bit depth, PPI,
| color space) for all imagefiles in one (or more) directories, to MS
Excel?

I don't know whether this will help, but what you want
seems to be especially well suited to script, and you seem
to be on Win10, so you can use Windows scripting. I wrote
a VBScript some time ago that will walk any of the
EXIF data you want in a JPG file.

http://www.jsware.net/jsware/scrfiles.php5#jpginf

That could be adapted to a simple script that
walks the folders, checks each file, then generates
a CSV file. The script works quickly by walking the
header tags. Thus, image size makes no difference
because the image is not loaded. The basic script
functions can generate the list of file size, name, etc.

I don't use Excel, but if I understand correctly, you
can import a list of comma-delineated text file lines
as a table? Script can generate that.

There might be complications, though. First, are
all the files JPG with EXIF data? If they're RAW then
I guess reading them would depend on the camera
company. BMP? It's easy to get width, height and
color depth from the header, but there's not much
else there. TIF? Those are typically just compressed
BMPs, but they could be other things.

I wonder why you need things like color depth and
color space, though. If you have JPGs they're all
24-bit. If it were me I think I'd probably just want
width, height, file name, maybe date taken, and
maybe full path. (In case the files were stored
systematically, parent folder names might be
informative.) After all, you're trying to figure out what
you have, right?

You might also look at IrfanView. I doubt
it can do all the steps you need, but it's a
free program, remarkably well written, and has
an amazing array of functions hidden in the
menu, as well as a commandline interface.