Another New Fire!!

Old September 2nd 16, 07:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

Default Another New Fire!!

On 2016-09-02 03:24:05 +0000, Tony Cooper
said:

On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 15:28:17 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

This

one is 100% contained, and the road into town has reopened. On
my way
into town this morning they had fire crews securing the burn
area, so
on that section of the road we were down to controlled oneway
traffic.
That said it was a relief that it was stopped before it got
truly out
of control.
The larger, scarier fire is now 90% contained.

Going into town this morning to get some shopping done, the air
quality
is much better than it has been recently:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/Demo/IMG_1564.jpg

You are watching fires break out around you, and I'm waiting to
see if
Hurricane Hermine will be visiting Central Florida. So far, she's
staying up in north Florida.

Hermine seems to be aimed at the Gulf Coast, to then track across
Florida and up the East Coast. With any luck I hope you don't take
a direct hit. Perhaps just a little wet.
It looks like the folks on the Jersey Shore, and NY/Long Island
are going to get a soaking for Labor Day.

Mother Nature seems to be ****ed off.

...and our drought persists. So much for the global warming deniers

There has never been a drought before?

Sure there has, but nothing quite this persistant in recent memory.
You would have to live in this area to truly understand the impact,
and how things have changed for millions out West. You don't have to
live with water restrictions back East, here we have little choice.

But attributing it to the global warming hysteria?

Unfortunately global warming is a reality, and no amount of denial is
going to change that fact.

In California we are heading into year five of this drought. El Niño
did not deliver last Winter, and the likelihood of reservoir filling
rain this coming Winter is not promising. California is not the only
Western State with this problem, just take a look at recent photos of
Lake Meade, and Lake Powell on the Colorado.
http://mead.uslakes.info/level.asp
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=88099#
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/WorldOfChange/lake_powell.php
https://projects.propublica.org/killing-the-colorado/story/lake-powell-photos

As for hysteria, I guess that is your take on things, but ridiculing
those who bring the message does nothing to reverse the undeniable. We
old farts might well out live the worst of global warming, but our
descendants won't.

You mean like calling people "deniers"?

Old September 2nd 16, 08:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Folks who deny climate change/global warming are by definition deniers,
and they are not prepared to address the problem, because they don't
recognize it.

If anything they are the individuals with blinders on, and fingers in
their ears refusing to recognize what is happening around them.
Regardless of what you profess, that climate change/global warming is a
creation of the left just because you might not experience the reality
of what is happening, and it is politically expedient for the right to
deny that it is real. If there is any politicizing of the issue it is
the right, driven by the fossil fuel lobby that is doing it.

I can attest that what is happening here is real for me. It is real for
the communities in the California Central Valley where they don't have
running water due to wells running dry, and have to have water trucked
in. It is real for farmers who have left fields fallow for two growing
seasons.

Just because where you live you can still flush a cup of urine with
three gallons of water, doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist.

Savageduck

Old September 2nd 16, 11:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

What you are now undergoing is trivial. See
http://www.mercurynews.com/science/c...ve-lasted-more
or http://tinyurl.com/no55jo8

"Through studies of tree rings, sediment and other natural evidence,
researchers have documented multiple droughts in California that
lasted 10 or 20 years in a row during the past 1,000 years --
compared to the mere three-year duration of the current dry spell.
The two most severe megadroughts make the Dust Bowl of the 1930s
look tame: a 240-year-long drought that started in 850 and, 50
years after the conclusion of that one, another that stretched at
least 180 years.

"We continue to run California as if the longest drought we are ever
going to encounter is about seven years," said Scott Stine, a
professor of geography and environmental studies at Cal State East
Bay. "We're living in a dream world." "

Old September 2nd 16, 11:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

As I have just posted, you are mistaken if you think what you are now
experiencing is an exceptional event for which you must find an
exceptional explanation.

Eric Stevens
Old September 2nd 16, 11:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

rOn Fri, 2 Sep 2016 12:13:08 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

--- snip ---

Folks who deny climate change/global warming are by definition deniers,
and they are not prepared to address the problem, because they don't
recognize it.

I don't deny that climate change/global warming exists but I do 'deny'
that CO2 is at the heart of it. An interesting thing about atmospheric
CO2 and temperature is that for hundreds of thousands of years CO2
levels have *followed* temperatures. This is true for both millenial
scale or annual scale. Natural CO2 levels seem to follow temperature,
not the other way around. I think that CO2 is wrong explanation and we
are wasting far too much time and effort in defending that theory.

Old September 3rd 16, 12:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Interesting, however, it is not as if I am a tree with rings that can
be analysed. What would be of real significance would be a peek at the
record linked to population and agriculture growth starting with the
maritime hunter-gatherer culture of the indigenous people of the West
Coast like the Chumash who did not have an agriculture tradition and
would have been somewhat immune to a drought as severe as the one
detailed above. (they, and other native Americans have ihabited the
West coast for some 13,000 years without being killed off by a drought)

As for the length of the drought determining the severity, one should
also consider that the current drought continues into its fifth year
with no promise of easing. Also there is a larger impact today than
1,000 years ago when it comes to considering the damage to California's
$50+B agriculture industry and its food contribution to the nation. In
the last 2 years some 800,000 acres have not been planted and some
22,000 ag related jobs have been lost. Inspite of that California
remains the USA's largest agricultural producer and exporter of
agricultural products, and still produces 2/3 of U.S grown fruits and
nuts, and over 1/3 of U.S. grown vegetables. It is the national salad
bowl. However if this drought persists the damage to the aquifer and
fallow farmland will take years to recover, and the impact will be felt
nation wide.

Our drought is as serious as all heck, and the need to water lawns and
golf courses out west, particularly in places such as Los Angeles, Las
Vegas, and Phoenix needs to be reconsidered.

I have played my part by limiting my water usage. I have a drought
resistant garden and no thirsty lawn, a true xeriscape. I use more
water for feeding Hummingbird's sugar-water (they need it since local
plants have been severely impacted) than toilet flushing, and I shower
twice a week, unless an extra one is called for by social demands.

Old September 3rd 16, 12:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

says...
wrote:

[...]

If it was cooling and you had a drought then what?

....but it isn't.

Yes, it's getting warmer. Has been for the last 10,000 years or so.
Yes there's a persistent drought. But what leads you to believe that
one is causing the other other than that some guy with a computer
program that nobody else understands says so?

So you are content to accept whatever happens, regardless of consequences?

Savageduck

Old September 3rd 16, 12:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Sat, 03 Sep 2016 10:25:22 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

"Through studies of tree rings, sediment and other natural evidence,
researchers have documented multiple droughts in California that
lasted 10 or 20 years in a row during the past 1,000 years --
compared to the mere three-year duration of the current dry spell.
The two most severe megadroughts make the Dust Bowl of the 1930s
look tame: a 240-year-long drought that started in 850 and, 50
years after the conclusion of that one, another that stretched at
least 180 years.

They must have been burning coal to power the car factories.
Old September 3rd 16, 01:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 2 Sep 2016 19:17:46 -0400, "J. Clarke"

says...

wrote:

[...]

You might like to rephrase that after you have considered the data of
https://wattsupwiththat.com/paleoclimate/

Old September 3rd 16, 01:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

says...
says...
wrote:

[...]

I recognize that it is important to understand what is happening and why
before putting vast efforts into fixing it.

When the climate has been this warm in the past the planet has dealt
with the issue by initiating a period of glaciation. The first thing I
would want to do is understand why that happens and whether something
has changed that will prevent it from happening this time. The current
crowd of climatologiical pseudo-experts is pretty much mute on that
point.

....but are you prepared to bet on the reoccurrence of a new ice-age, or
even a mini-ice-age, by saying: "it happened back then, why wouldn't
nature bail us out this time?"?

Savageduck