Image info to MS Excel

Old September 26th 16, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Image info to MS Excel

On 2016-09-26 19:53:45 +0000, BrJohan said:

On 26/09/2016 12:51, BrJohan wrote:
On 25/09/2016 22:39, BrJohan wrote:
Anyone aware of some software (Windows 10) that can help me transfer a
set of image characteristics (filename, size in pixels, bit depth, PPI,
color space) for all imagefiles in one (or more) directories, to MS
Excel?

I have a need for some statistics.

The background to my question is this:

I have 'inherited' a fairly large (~45000) set of imagefiles from a -
not very close - relative that recently passed away. He was a keen
photographer and - as of his latest years - scanner. As his closest
descendants are not very fluent in managing images, they have asked me
for assistance. So, in order to get some overview of the material, I
thought that a statistical view could help me. Some sample directory
listings tell me that the variety of types and sizes of the images is
large. Some samples of images tell me that both B/W and color images are
present.

Other suggestions are welcome.

XnView can list imagefiles together with some of my wanted info only.

I am familiar with Adobe Bridge and Adobe Ligthtroom, but - as said -
those programs are not very helpful in this case.

Peter Krogh's excellent "The DAM Book" gave me no advice in this matter.

I do not know Media Pro SE.

I have used ExifTool for many purposes, but as far as I know, it can't
get me all the info I want.

PS. If my plain question caused high blood pressure or other kinds of
nausea, I want to apologize.

Further clarifications:

1. Before doing anything with the images, I want to know a little about
their distribution with respect to fileformat, pixelsize, color space,
bit depth, RGB or grayscale and perhaps PPI.

File format is worth knowing and having some idea of that distribution
might be useful. The other criteria; pixelsize, colorspace, bit depth,
RGB (that is colorspace), grayscale, and ppi are irrelevant.

2. I have investigated some twentyfive pseudorandomly chosen images and
found a mixture of JPEG, TIFF, NEF and ORF formats. Among the JPEG and
TIFF images, both sRGB and Adobe RGB is present as well as one ProPhoto
RGB (presumably created by a scanner). Four of the viewed images are
grayscale - likely scanned from B/W negs.

JPEGs will all be 8-Bit, and are likely to be post processed images and
should be in sRGB for display viewing. TIFFs could be 8-Bit or 16-Bit
and in either sRGB or Adobe RGB. The NEFs and ORFs are Nikon and
Olympus RAW files and will be either 12 or 14 Bit depending on the
camera settings. I doubt that any ProPhoto RGB was produced by a
scanner, but it leads me to believe that the original photographer was
a Lightroom user as ProPhoto RGB is the recommended colorspace for
Lightroom. If that is so, I would go so far as to guess that all the
critical cataloging has already been done and is on the creator's
computer.

Otherwise, all of those file types are mostly irrelevant.

I thought that having data regarding the images imported to MS Excel
(or some other spreadsheet-SW) could allow me to get some 'overview' of
the 'physical' contents of the imagefiles.

Then I could make a better guess about how to proceed ...

I would check with the family to find out what the original
photographer used on his computer to catalog his ~45,000 image files. I
suspect that the bulk of the sorting and cataloging has already been
done. It is highly unlikely that somebody as enthusiastic about
photography as you imply, would not have used an asset management tool,
and because of the RAW files and he ProPhoto RGB colorspace I suspect
he already has everything cataloged with Lightroom or something similar.

Savageduck

Old September 26th 16, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-09-26 21:22:58 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 13:21:50 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

1. Before doing anything with the images, I want to know a little about
their distribution with respect to fileformat, pixelsize, color space,
bit depth, RGB or grayscale and perhaps PPI.

File format is worth knowing and having some idea of that distribution
might be useful. The other criteria; pixelsize, colorspace, bit depth,
RGB (that is colorspace), grayscale, and ppi are irrelevant.

I can't say that file format is irrelevant in general, but is it
relevant in assembling an image management system?

Agreed! (it's that word choic thing again)

My files contain images that are .jpgs, .psds, RAFs, NEFs, DNGs, and
TIFFs. Lightroom treats them all the same. I can sort by any file
extension (but I don't), but the normal display is in file name order,
which is a date order because I name files by date. (ie:
2016-09-26-001)

Same here.(Though I haven't added JPEGs to LR for years now).

My files are also in a folder/file system, and any software I use to
view images treats all file types the same.

Yup!

To explain, because we all seem to do things differently, I use
Lightroom to import files from my card, and the file itself will be in
directory that is either "Family" or "Hobby" photo and in a sub-folder
by year.

Not that differently. All my LR folders are arranged chronologically
and are mostly qualified by a descriptive label. So I might have Folder
"2015-06-06 San Miguel Fords", Folder "2016-04-30 Paso Side Cars" and
Folder "2016-04-30 Triathlon".

If I scan old prints, the file will be in the appropriate directory
and folder and then imported into Lightroom.

Yup! Usually labelled with the scan date and the subject.

The problem, of course, with scanning old prints is that I often do
not know the date involved. I have one folder that is "Old" where
there are stored.

The secret is to have a system which works for you.

I suspect that the original creator of the ~45,000 image files, scans
or digital camera images, being a photographer with the capability to
collect those image files by scanning or photographing, has a similar
system to ours somewhere on his computer and the cataloging work has
already been completed.

Savageduck

Old September 27th 16, 02:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

When I want to edit an image in Photoshop and add or delete aspects of
that image, I create a virtual copy and work on that in PS. I'll
flatten and save-as a .jpg. The .jpg is then in LR. The .jpg is then
exported for use in a SmugMug gallery, and a link to that gallery is
then sent. The non-PS-adjusted images are also exported for that
gallery as .jpgs. I do this weekly with shots of whatever game
(baseball or football) the grandsons are involved in that week.

I work a little differently.
I will make most LR tweaks and adjustments on a Virtual copy, and if I
need to go to PS, do what I need to do there and save back to LR,
usually with layers intact as a PDF. That way I can return to the full
layered work by editing the saved LR PDF as the original (PDF) rather
than a copy of the original (PDF). If I need a JPEG from that file, I
get that resized for both dimensions and file size via the Export
dialog where I have presets for my Desktop, Dropbox, and Adobe CC. I
guess you do the same where you have only used LR for editing and
haven't created a JPEG in PS.

Interestingly just this last week in a special offer, I got a year's
subscription to SmugMug free, and I have set that up with the SmugMug
publishing extra plug-in. I have also set up a SmugMug preset in the LR
export/publishing dialog to handle JPEG production without the need to
save as a JPEG from PS. So far I have only built three SmugMug albums
with intentions for more.

I suspect that the original creator of the ~45,000 image files, scans
or digital camera images, being a photographer with the capability to
collect those image files by scanning or photographing, has a similar
system to ours somewhere on his computer and the cataloging work has
already been completed.

If the original creator of the images used LR, the files the OP
received may have retained the keywords.

Yup! He might even be able to obtain, if they exist, the LR Catalog files.

Savageduck

Old September 27th 16, 04:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I think you mean ".psd", not "PDF", but that's OK. Thinko.

Yup! Phingrr Phawlt componded by a brain fart.

I left out a step in my description. I do save my .pdf and the
flattening for .jpg results in another save-as.

So you repeated my pdf goof. It must be catching. ;-)

If I need a JPEG from that file, I
get that resized for both dimensions and file size via the Export
dialog where I have presets for my Desktop, Dropbox, and Adobe CC. I
guess you do the same where you have only used LR for editing and
haven't created a JPEG in PS.

I crop images not changed in PS to the desired size in LR and export
that.

These days my primary crop tool is LR.

With LR, the crop is not a permanent change.

Neither is it in PS if you do not flatten.

Savageduck

Old September 27th 16, 12:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

FWIW, I can see some future descendant stuck doing the same sort of project with my own works...as they'll find a mess in places too.

My suggestion to the OP would be:

1. Don't worry too much about current file format: focus on what you want as the destination format for non-savvy family, along with a format for a max-resolution dupe. IMO, the former will probably be JPG.

1a. A directory sort by size/type/etc will probably be good enough to sort/batch your file format sub-projects.

2. Decide on your destination file manager system (eg, Lightoom, or File Directories, etc.

3. Decide how you're going to manage duplicates - particularly if they were into post-processing, you're going to find them. I know I have ample shots which will be headaches for a descendant because of multiple interpretations, crops, as well as intermediate saves/backups that I've never thrown away from various workflows over the past 30 years. Good luck on this one.

4. Context! Need to work some of this more urgently to ID people/places/etc before the older generation dies off. I have two FULL boxes of some 19th Century tin photos where this wasn't done .. it's a very depressing project that I've subsequently been avoiding.

5. Future use: how's it going to be used? A screen saver? A slide show that's only going to be rarely viewed? This can influence some choices too..

Hope this helps,

-hh